Iowa Highway 100
Iowa 100 highlighted in red
|Maintained by Iowa DOT|
|Length||8.285 mi (13.333 km)|
|West end||Covington Road near Palo|
| I-380 / Iowa 27 in Cedar Rapids
US 151 Business in Cedar Rapids
|East end||US 151 / Iowa 13 in Marion|
Iowa Highway 100 (Iowa 100) is a state highway located in Linn County, Iowa. The route is located primarily in Cedar Rapids and Marion and is known locally as Collins Road. It begins at Covington Road near Palo and ends at U.S. Highway 151 / Iowa Highway 13 (US 151 / Iowa 13) in Marion. Iowa 100 has been planned to be extended to US 30 / US 218 in western Cedar Rapids.
Iowa 100 begins at a half-diamond interchange with Covington Road near Palo, Iowa. The road heads Northeast along a freeway towards Edgewood Road NE in Cedar Rapids. It then intersects with Edgewood Road NE at a single-point urban interchange The road heads east along a freeway towards I-380. At I-380, the mainline of Iowa 100 passes high above the interstate. Collector-distributor lanes for each highway intersect at an intermediate level between the freeways. East of the volleyball interchange, the C-D lanes of Iowa 100 intersect Center Point Road NE before rejoining the mainline at the end of the freeway. Continuing east, Iowa 100 passes the Rockwell Collins complex on the north and the studios for KGAN-TV on the south. It enters a shopping district centered around Lindale Mall. Just east of the mall, the highway intersects U.S. Route 151 Business (US 151 Bus.), which runs along 1st Avenue.
South of 1st Avenue, Iowa 100 leaves Cedar Rapids and enters Marion. The highway turns to southeast briefly and then straightens out to the east. It roughly marks the southern extents of Marion as the only neighborhoods lie north of the highway. It continues slightly northeast and then east again and ends at an intersection with US 151 and Iowa 13 on the eastern edge of Marion.
Iowa 100 was designated in the early 1980s after the southern end of Iowa 150 was relocated to its current end in Vinton. It was established along the entirety of Collins Road NE in Cedar Rapids, which then extended from the I-380 interchange to 1st Avenue. Construction of Collins Road west of I-380 was proposed by 1983. By 1986, construction was completed and the road extended west to Edgewood Road NE.
In 1996, Iowa 100 was significantly lengthened eastward. An extension of Collins Road was built from the intersection at 1st Avenue in Cedar Rapids to US 151 / Iowa 13 in Marion. The Collins Road extension was originally planned in the 1960s as a bypass of Marion. Growth and development of the city during the 30 years between planning and building of the extension have diminished its utility as a bypass.
Currently, plans are in motion to extend Iowa Highway 100 from Edgewood Road NE to the south and west to have it meet with US 30 / US 218 in western Linn County. This would provide a four lane bypass around the entire city. The proposed expansion had proven to be controversial, with the Linn County Conservation Board worried about environmental impact such an expansion would have on the area — especially the Rock Island Forest Preserve. However, as of May 2014, construction has begun on its 10 mi. expansion. In December 2016, the first phase of the extension to Covington Road opened.
The entire route is in Linn County.
|Clinton Township||US 30 / US 218 – Cedar Rapids, Tama||Future connection to US 30 exit 246|
|Cedar Rapids||E Avenue NW||Future interchange|
|Covington||3||Covington, Cedar Rapids||Formerly Iowa 94; opened December 15, 2016|
|Cedar Rapids||0.000||0.000||7||Edgewood Road|
I-380 / Iowa 27 / Center Point Road
|I-380 exits 24A–B; Three-level diamond interchange|
US 151 Business (First Avenue E)
|Marion||8.285||13.333||CR E45 east (Secrist Road) / US 151 / Iowa 13||Road continues as CR E45 (Secrist Road)|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- "2009 Volume of Traffic on the Primary Road System of Iowa" (PDF). Iowa Department of Transportation. January 1, 2009. Retrieved December 30, 2010.
- Google (August 9, 2011). "Iowa Highway 100" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved August 9, 2011.
- Iowa Department of Transportation (1983). State of Iowa Transportation Map (PDF) (Map). Ames: Iowa Department of Transportation. Cedar Rapids–Marion inset. Retrieved August 10, 2011.
- Iowa Department of Transportation (1986). State of Iowa Transportation Map (PDF) (Map). Ames: Iowa Department of Transportation. Cedar Rapids–Marion inset. Retrieved August 10, 2011.
- Iowa Department of Transportation (1997). State of Iowa Transportation Map (PDF) (Map). Ames: Iowa Department of Transportation. Cedar Rapids–Marion inset. Retrieved August 10, 2011.
- Snyder, Chad (September 5, 1996). "'Bypass' seen as boon for the city". The Gazette. Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
- "Cedar Rapids Business Support, Community Development, Economic Development and Public Policy - Cedar Rapids Metro Economic Alliance".
- Schmidt, Mitchell (December 14, 2016). "Highway 100 extension tentatively set to open Thursday". The Gazette. Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Retrieved May 24, 2017.