Iowa Highway 182
|Maintained by Iowa DOT|
|Length:||9.051 mi (14.566 km)|
|Existed:||January 1, 1969– present|
|History:||1930–1968: known as Iowa 26|
|South end:||US 18 / CR A42 at Inwood|
|North end:||Iowa 9 near Larchwood|
Iowa Highway 182 (Iowa 182) is a 9-mile-long (14 km) state highway in the northwestern corner of Iowa. It begins at U.S. Route 18 (US 18) in Inwood and ends at Iowa 9 southeast of Larchwood. The highway has been in the primary highway system since 1930, when it was known as Iowa 26. On January 1, 1969, Iowa 26 and Iowa 182 swapped designations.
Iowa Highway 182 begins at an intersection with US 18 and County Road A42 (CR A42). At the intersection, eastbound US 18 approaches from the west, eastbound US 18 approaches from the south, and CR A42 approaches from the east. Iowa 182 travels north through Inwood for one mile (1.6 km) and continues due north through the farmland of Lyon County for eight miles (13 km) to an intersection with Iowa Highway 9. The intersection with Iowa 9 is very similar to the intersection with US 18; eastbound Iowa 9 approaches from the north and westbound Iowa 9 approaches from the east.
Between 1930 and 1968, the highway now known as Iowa 182 was called Iowa 26. This was the second instance of Iowa 26. The first was designated in 1920 with the rest of the primary highway system. It was originally a spur route from Primary Road No. 19 (now US 18) to Rock Valley. Iowa 26 was extended north from Rock Valley back to US 18 in 1929.
In 1930, US 18 was rerouted in Lyon and Sioux counties. The new routing of US 18 went through Rock Valley, thus eliminating the need for Iowa 26, which had connected Rock Valley to US 18. The Iowa 26 designation was moved northwest. It replaced County Road S, which followed the same course Iowa 182 now follows.
On January 1, 1969, the Iowa State Highway Commission, now known as the Iowa Department of Transportation, renumbered several state highways. The changes to the highway system fixed a number of issues: creating continuous route numbers across state lines, removing duplicate route numbers where they were unnecessary, and extending route numbers in some locations. In this case, the former Iowa 182 in Allamakee County crossed into Minnesota and became Trunk Highway 26. The two routes' numbers were switched and have remained the same since then.
The entire route is in Lyon County.
|Inwood||0.000||0.000||US 18 / CR A42|
|Logan Township||9.051||14.566||Iowa 9|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- "2009 Volume of Traffic on the Primary Road System of Iowa" (PDF). Iowa Department of Transportation. January 1, 2009. Retrieved September 6, 2010.
- Transportation Map (PDF) (Map). Iowa Department of Transportation. 2010. Retrieved September 6, 2010.
- Iowa State Highway Map (PDF) (Map). Iowa State Highway Commission. 1919. Top left corner. Retrieved June 30, 2012.
- Iowa State Highway Map (PDF) (Map). Iowa State Highway Commission. 1929. Top left corner. Retrieved June 30, 2012.
- Iowa State Highway Map (PDF) (Map). Iowa State Highway Commission. 1930. Top left corner. Retrieved June 30, 2012.
- Iowa State Highway Map (PDF) (Map). Iowa State Highway Commission. 1931. Top left corner. Retrieved June 30, 2012.
- "New Iowa Map Goes on Sale". Telegraph-Herald. Dubuque, Iowa. January 14, 1969. Retrieved January 9, 2011.
- Iowa State Highway Map (PDF) (Map). Iowa State Highway Commission. 1968. § A-B1, A-B23. Retrieved June 30, 2012.
- Iowa State Highway Map (PDF) (Map). Iowa State Highway Commission. 1969. § A-B1, A-B23. Retrieved September 6, 2010.