Iowa Highway 39
|Maintained by Iowa DOT|
|Length:||24.321 mi (39.141 km)|
|Existed:||January 1, 1969– present|
|South end:||US 59 / Iowa 141 in Denison|
|North end:||Iowa 175 / CR M43 in Odebolt|
Iowa Highway 39 (Iowa 39) is a north–south state highway in western Iowa. It begins at an intersection with U.S. Route 59 and Iowa Highway 141 on the western edge of Denison. The route ends at its intersection with Iowa Highway 175 on the eastern side of Odebolt.
Iowa 39 begins on the west side of Denison, Iowa at an intersection with U.S. Route 59 and Iowa Highway 141. Heading north-northwest, it runs parallel to the Boyer River between Denison and Deloit. At Deloit, the route straightens northward and travels 7 miles (11 km) to Kiron. North of Kiron, it turns east for 4 miles (6.4 km) before turning back to the north for 7 miles (11 km). The route ends at Iowa Highway 175 in Odebolt.
Prior to 1969, the route that is now designated as Iowa 39 was designated as Iowa Highway 4. This version of Iowa 4 once connected Hamburg and Spirit Lake along the current routings of U.S. Route 275, U.S. Route 59, and U.S. Route 71. In 1969, when many routes were renumbered, Iowa 4 was redesignated as Iowa Highway 39.
|Crawford||Denison||0.000||0.000||US 59 / Iowa 141|
|Sac||Odebolt||24.321||39.141||Iowa 175 (Market Street) / CR M43 (Des Moines Street)|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- "2007 Volume of Traffic on the Primary Road System of Iowa" (PDF). Iowa Department of Transportation. January 1, 2007. Retrieved January 8, 2009.
- Transportation Map (PDF) (Map). Iowa Department of Transportation. 2010. Retrieved September 6, 2010.
- Iowa State Highway Map (PDF) (Map). Iowa State Highway Commission. 1968. § H5:I6. Retrieved September 6, 2010.
- Junior Road Map: Western Iowa (Map). Rand McNally & Company. 1926. Retrieved September 6, 2010.
- Iowa State Highway Map (PDF) (Map). Iowa State Highway Commission. 1969. § H5:I6. Retrieved September 6, 2010.
- End of Iowa 39 at Iowa Highway Ends