Iowa Park, Texas
|Iowa Park, Texas|
Entrance to Iowa Park
Location of Iowa Park, Texas
|• Total||4.0 sq mi (10.4 km2)|
|• Land||3.6 sq mi (9.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,037 ft (316 m)|
|• Density||1,766.6/sq mi (682.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1360020|
Iowa Park is located at (33.953731, -98.671158).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.0 square miles (10.4 km²), of which, 3.6 square miles (9.4 km²) of it is land and 0.4 square miles (1.0 km²) of it (9.68%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,431 people, 2,460 households, and 1,867 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,766.6 people per square mile (682.1/km²). There were 2,609 housing units at an average density of 716.1 per square mile (276.5/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 95.96% White, 0.26% African American, 1.09% Native American, 0.37% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.90% from other races, and 1.38% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.58% of the population. Iowa Park has one of the highest percentages of Non-Hispanic White populations in Texas.
There were 2,460 households out of which 37.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.7% were married couples living together, 11.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.1% were non-families. 21.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.59 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the city the population was spread out with 27.5% under the age of 18, 8.4% from 18 to 24, 28.4% from 25 to 44, 21.8% from 45 to 64, and 14.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 92.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $40,725, and the median income for a family was $45,199. Males had a median income of $31,372 versus $21,237 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,882. About 7.1% of families and 1.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.4% of those under age 18 and 6.3% of those age 65 or over. The population of Iowa Park has increased to around 6,400 as of 2012. New businesses and new construction can be seen in and around Iowa Park over the last 5 years.
The City of Iowa Park is served by the Iowa Park Consolidated Independent School District.
Iowa Park was founded in 1888 alongside the tracks of the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway by D. C. and A. J. Kolp. It soon became a shipping point for cotton and wheat. Hard times came in the early 1890s when a drought hit, but by the time 1900 arrived the town had a respectable population.
The population fell during the early part of the century, but an oil discovery in 1918 reversed the dip. By 1926 the population was staying higher. A concrete highway connecting Iowa Park with Wichita Falls was built in 1927. In the mid-1930s Iowa Park managed to keep its population higher while most other towns declined.
Sheppard Air Force Base provided a minor drawback in the 1950s but by the end of the decade the population was still holding up. By the late 1960s the population had swelled by over 20 percent and increased further in the 70s.
Government and infrastructure
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Iowa Park has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Post Office Location - IOWA PARK." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on September 22, 2010.
- "Sheet Number 1." City of Wichita Falls. Retrieved on September 22, 2010.
- "Sheet Number 2." City of Wichita Falls. Retrieved on September 22, 2010.
- "Sheet Number 9." City of Wichita Falls. Retrieved on September 22, 2010.
- "ACLU Says Faulty Investigation by Texas Corrections Department Led to Grand Jury's Failure to Indict Rape Suspects." American Civil Liberties Union. Retrieved on May 10, 2010.
- Climate Summary for Iowa Park, Texas
- City of Iowa Park - Official Website.
- Iowa Park Consolidated Independent School District - Official Website.