Iowa Utilities Board
The Iowa Utilities Board (IUB) is a 3-member public utilities commission, with beginnings in 1878. It is a quasi-judicial tribunal, which regulates services and rates of electric, natural gas, water and telecommunication providers in the U.S. state of Iowa and has existed with its present name since 1986.
Brief history (1878–1986)
The history of the IUB begins in 1878 as the Iowa Board of Railroad Commissioners, whose three members were publicly elected for a two-year term. In 1911, an Office of Commerce Counsel was established within, which with increasing electrification took on the regulation of transmission lines. It was renamed the Iowa State Commerce Commission in 1937.
It was only in 1963 that the regulation of rates and services of all public utility companies (electricity, natural gas, water and telecommunications) became Commission tasks. At the same time, the legislature extended commissioner terms to six years and the positions became appointed. In 1986, the state renamed the Commission as Iowa Utilities Board.
The Iowa Utilities Board regulates rates and services of electric utilities, natural gas utility and water utilities, and a some telecommunication companies per Iowa Code chapters 476 through 479B It supervises all pipelines and transmission lines, and the sale and distribution of electricity. In addition it has various connected authorities like resolving disputes and dealing with complaints, enforcing safety as far as engineering standards go.
The IUB regulates service and rates of the 2 Iowa electric companies, MidAmerican Energy and Interstate Power and Light Company (IPL), a subsidiary of Alliant Energy Company and also the Rural Electric Cooperatives (RECs). The latter can choose to be regulated for rates and only the Linn County, Iowa REC has chosen to do so.
Members are appointed by the Governor of Iowa for 6-year terms. As of 2016[update] the IUB consists of Libby Jacobs, Nick Wagner with Geri Huser as chairwoman. Huser has been described as "businessfriendly".
Board members since the board's inception in 1986 are listed in the table per its website.
|1987–1997||Nancy Shimanek Boyd|
|1995–2001||Allan T. Thoms|
|2001–2005||Mark O. Lambert|
|2002–2005||Elliott G. Smith|
|2005–2009||John R. Norris|
|2005–2007||Curtis W. Stamp|
|2007–2011||Krista K. Tanner|
|2011–2017||Libby Jacobs||interim chair May 1, 2011 - April 30, 2015||Republican|
- Verizon Communications Inc. v. Federal Communications Commission (2002)
- Sprint Communications, Inc. v. Jacobs, began in 2011
- Mt. Pleasant Municipal Utilities v. Iowa Utilities Board, 2014
- Hawkeye land company v. Iowa Utilities Board, 2014
- Great Lakes Communication Corporation v. IUB, began in 2015
- History of the Iowa Utilities Board Iowa Utilities Board, n.d., retrieved 18 March 2016
- Iowa Code, Iowa General Assembly, n.d., retrieved 18 March 2016
- Jurisdiction and Regulatory Authority of the Iowa Utilities Board Iowa Utilities Board, n.d., retrieved 18 March 2016
- Board members Iowa Utilities Board, n.d., retrieved 18 March 2016
- Ryan J. Foley,Gov. Branstad taps new chair for Iowa Utilities Board. Associated Press, March 11, 2015
- Past Commissioners/Board Members Iowa Utilities Board, n.d., retrieved 18 March 2016
- Court proceedings Iowa Utilities Board, 14 March 2016, retrieved 18 March 2016
- Hawkeye land company v. Iowa Utilities Board
|This Iowa-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|