ipfirewall or ipfw is a FreeBSD IP, stateful firewall, packet filter and traffic accounting facility. Its ruleset logic is similar to many other packet filters except IPFilter. ipfw is authored and maintained by FreeBSD volunteer staff members. Its syntax enables use of sophisticated filtering capabilities and thus enables users to satisfy advanced requirements. It can either be used as a loadable kernel module or incorporated into the kernel; use as a loadable kernel module where possible is highly recommended. ipfw was the built-in firewall of Mac OS X until Mac OS X 10.7 Lion in 2011 when it was replaced with the OpenBSD project's PF. Like FreeBSD, ipfw is open source. It is used in many FreeBSD-based firewall products, including m0n0wall and FreeNAS. A port of an early version of ipfw was used since Linux 1.1 as the first implementation of firewall available for Linux, until it was replaced by ipchains. A modern port of ipfw and the dummynet traffic shaper is available for Linux (including a prebuilt package for OpenWrt) and Microsoft Windows. wipfw is a Windows port of an old (2001) version of ipfw.
Alternative user interfaces for ipfw
|Software||Developer||First public release||Latest stable version||Cost (USD)||Open source||License||User interface||Platform(s)|
|Firewalk X||Pliris||?||2.3.7||Non-free (US$ 34.99)||No||Proprietary / Shareware||GUI||Mac OS X v10.2, Mac OS X v10.3 (PowerPC)|
|Flying Buttress (known as BrickHouse prior to v1.4)||Brian Hill||March 23, 2001||1.4 (2005-12-31)||Non-free (US$ 25.00)||No||Proprietary / Shareware||GUI||Mac OS X v10.0, Mac OS X v10.1, Mac OS X v10.2, Mac OS X v10.3, Mac OS X v10.4 (PowerPC)|
|Impasse||Glucose Development Corporation||Q2 2002||1.3||Non-free (US$ 10.00)||No||Proprietary / Shareware||GUI||Mac OS X v10.1, Mac OS X v10.2 (PowerPC)|
|Norton Personal Firewall for Macintosh||Symantec||2005||3.0.3||Non-free (US$ 49.95)||No||Proprietary
(Symantec Software License Agreement)
|GUI||Mac OS X v10.1.5, Mac OS X v10.2, Mac OS X v10.3, Mac OS X v10.4.11 (PowerPC)|
|Qtfw||Ryzhyk Eugeney||August 23, 2001||0.5 (2002-09-20)||Free||Yes||BSD||GUI||BSD and POSIX operating systems with the Qt toolkit. Ported to Windows for wipfw.|
|sunShield Pro||sunProtecting Factory||?||2.0.3 'L' (2007-11-09)||Non-free (US$ 29.95)||No||Proprietary / Shareware||GUI||Mac OS X v10.4, Mac OS X v10.5 (universal binary)|
|WaterRoof||Hany El Imam||2007||3.7||Free||Yes||GPL / Donationware||GUI||Mac OS X v10.4, Mac OS X v10.8 (universal binary)|
|YpFw||Claudio Favi, CAIA||2004||?||Free||Yes||?||Text mode||FreeBSD v3.4 or higher with Python v2.2 or higher|
- netfilter/iptables, a Linux-based descendant of ipchains
- NPF, a NetBSD packet filter
- PF, another widely deployed BSD firewall solution
- "Chapter 30. Firewalls: IPFW". FreeBSD Handbook. Retrieved 2019-01-31.
- ipfw is the only firewall software in Mac OS X v10.4 and below. Mac OS X v10.5 used both an application firewall and ipfw.
- "OS X: About the application firewall". 2016-03-23. Retrieved 2019-01-31.
- "Original IP Firewall (2.0 Kernels)".
- Luigi Rizzo (2015-08-31). "The dummynet project". Archived from the original on 2013-08-31. Retrieved 2019-01-31.
- "Welcome to the WIPFW website!". 2011-08-16. Retrieved 2019-01-31.
- "SYMANTEC SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT" (PDF). Symantec. 2004-06-25. Retrieved 2019-01-31.
- "SYMANTEC SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT" (PDF). Symantec. 2005-08-23. Retrieved 2019-01-31.
- "Norton Personal Firewall 3.0 for Macintosh, Mac OS® X version 10.1.5 to 10.4.11". 2008. Archived from the original on 2008-12-25. Retrieved 2019-01-31.