|Original author(s)||Alexey Kuznetsov|
4.18.0 / August 13, 2018
|Type||Utilities for Linux|
|License||GNU GPL v2|
iproute2 is a collection of userspace utilities for controlling and monitoring various aspects of networking in the Linux kernel, including routing, network interfaces, tunnels, traffic control, and network-related device drivers.
iproute2 is an open-source project released under the terms of version 2 of the GNU GPL license. Its development is closely tied to the development of networking components of the Linux kernel. As of December 2013[update], iproute2 is maintained by Stephen Hemminger. The original author, Alexey Kuznetsov, was responsible for the Quality of Service (QoS) implementation in the Linux kernel.
iproute2 collection contains the following command-line utilities:
tc is used for traffic control. iproute2 utilities communicate with the Linux kernel using the netlink protocol. Some of the iproute2 utilities are often recommended over now-obsolete
net-tools utilities that provide the same functionality. Below is a table of obsolete utilities and their iproute2 replacements.
|Legacy utility||Obsoleted by||Note|
||Address and link configuration|
||Rename network interfaces|
||Show various networking statistics|
- "iproute2 download directory on kernel.org". kernel.org. Retrieved September 17, 2018.
- "Introduction to iproute2". The Linux Foundation. November 19, 2009. Archived from the original on June 23, 2014. Retrieved June 30, 2014.
- "list of the Debian package iproute2". Debian.
- Martín Ferrari (March 15, 2009). "net-tools future". debian.org. Retrieved June 30, 2014.
- "net-tools". linuxfoundation.org.
- Official website
- Linux Advanced Routing and Traffic Control HOWTO - A tutorial in exploring and using iproute2.
- IPROUTE2 Utility Suite Documentation - Complete official documentation.
- iproute2+tc notes - A collection of documents relating to iproute2 configuration and usage.
- Source code download directory
- git source code
- Advanced tc and iproute2 tutorial for bandwidth restriction
- Advanced iproute2 tutorial for split route / multiple uplinks
- NetEm – Network Emulator
- Linux networking commands using iproute2 - Tutorial for configuring IP address, Routing table, Neighbour table etc using iproute2.
- netsstat - Another human-readable utility of another utility (ss) to investigate sockets
|This Linux-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|