|Original author(s)||Alexey Kuznetsov|
5.9 / October 16, 2020
iproute2 is a collection of userspace utilities for controlling and monitoring various aspects of networking in the Linux kernel, including routing, network interfaces, tunnels, traffic control, and network-related device drivers.
iproute2 is an open-source project released under the terms of version 2 of the GNU General Public License. Its development is closely tied to the development of networking components of the Linux kernel. As of December 2013[update], iproute2 is maintained by Stephen Hemminger. The original author, Alexey Kuznetsov, was responsible for the quality of service (QoS) implementation in the Linux kernel.
iproute2 collection contains the following command-line utilities: ip, ss, bridge, rtacct, rtmon, tc, ctstat, lnstat, nstat, routef, routel, rtstat, tipc, arpd and devlink. tc is used for traffic control. iproute2 utilities communicate with the Linux kernel using the netlink protocol. Some of the iproute2 utilities are often recommended over now-obsolete net-tools utilities that provide the same functionality. Below is a table of obsolete utilities and their iproute2 replacements.
|Legacy utility||Replacement command||Note|
|ifconfig||ip addr, ip link, ip -s||Address and link configuration|
|route||ip route||Routing tables|
|nameif||ifrename, ip link set name||Rename network interfaces|
|netstat||ip -s, ss, ip route||Show various networking statistics|
|brctl||bridge||Handle bridge addresses and devices|
- "iproute2 download directory on kernel.org". kernel.org. Retrieved October 16, 2020.
- "Introduction to iproute2". The Linux Foundation. November 19, 2009. Retrieved July 15, 2019.
- "list of the Debian package iproute2". Debian.
- Martín Ferrari (March 15, 2009). "net-tools future". debian.org. Retrieved March 21, 2019.
- "net-tools". The Linux Foundation.
- Official website
- Linux Advanced Routing and Traffic Control HOWTO - A tutorial in exploring and using iproute2.
- IPROUTE2 Utility Suite Documentation - Complete official documentation.
- iproute2+tc notes - A collection of documents relating to iproute2 configuration and usage.
|This Linux-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|