|Iqbal Day |
|Official name||Iqbal Day|
|Also called||Yōm-e Welādat-e Muḥammad Iqbāl|
Iqbal Day (Urdu: یوم اقبال; Yōm-e Iqbāl) is the birthday of Muhammad Iqbal on 9 November. The day is a public holiday in some provinces of Pakistan. Iqbal, a poet and philosopher, was a great inspiration for the Pakistan Movement.
Iqbal day is organized and celebrated on 9 November every year in all the provinces as a tribute to Allama Muhammad Iqbal, the "Poet of the East". Iqbal was born on 9 November 1877 in Sialkot, within the Punjab Province of British India (now in Pakistan). He died on 21 April 1938 in Lahore, Punjab, British India. The Government of Pakistan has officially declared him the national poet.
- "National Holiday November 9". Brecorder.com. 2010-11-06. Retrieved 2012-01-24.
- "Seminar on Allama Iqbal held at Preston University". Preston.Edu.PK. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "Literary symposium held on Iqbal Day in US". Geo.TV. 2011-04-26. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "Allama Iqbal's 73rd death anniversary observed with reverence". Pakistan Today. 2011-04-21. Retrieved 2012-08-14.
- "Iqbal". Iqbal Academy Pakistan. Retrieved 2012-08-14.