Iqbal Memorial Institute
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Iqbal Memorial Institute
اقبال میموریل انسٹیٹیوٹ
Srinagar, Jammu & Kashmir, 190010
|Gender||(Male 5th to 12th, boys wing and female UKG to 12th, male LKG to 4th, girls wing)|
|Number of students||2000 (overall in both the wings)|
|Hours in school day||6.5|
|Sports||Cricket, athletics, badminton, table tennis, football|
|Affiliation||J & K Board of School Education|
Iqbal Memorial Institute (Urdu: اقبال میموریل انسٹیٹیوٹ) (IMI) is an educational institution in the Bemina area of Srinagar,Anantnag the major cities of Jammu and Kashmir. Named after the Kashmiri poet who inspired the Pakistan Movement, Allama Iqbal, Iqbal Memorial Institute was founded under the aegis of the Iqbal Memorial Trust in 1981.
In 1998, the governing body of Iqbal Memorial Trust raised the level of IMI to +2 stage from the year 1999. The +2 Wing is functioning in IMI (Boys), Sir Syed-abad while the girls wing started in the newly constructed building adjacent to IMI (Girls), Iqbalabad, Srinagar.
The girls wing is on the left side of the Bemina, Budgam road, at Iqbalabad Bemina, opposite the Government Degree College, Bemina; the boys wing of the IMI is on the same side of the road half a kilometer from the girls wing at Sir Syedabad Bemina, Srinagar, opposite the Bemina Housing Colony.
Upper Kindergarten (UKG)
UKG is the main entry point for admission. For admission to UKG a syllabus has been devised suitable for an age group of 4–5 years. The number of seats for admission to UKG is limited and prescribed. Admission is granted on the basis of merit for the seats prescribed for Open Merit Category.
Two sections of UKG, one for boys and one for girls, comprising 34 students each, are allowed admission every year. For the students who qualify on written test, a physical checkup and viva is conducted before the final selection is notified.
1st to 9th
The number of seats in class/section is limited and prescribed, but at the end of each academic session, vacancies if any, are notified and filled up on the basis of open merit ascertained through a written entrance test.
The number of seats for admission to the Higher Secondary Level Part I (11th Class) is limited and prescribed for students in the Open Merit Category as well as other categories.
Admission to 11th class in Medical and Non-Medical with sixth subject option of Information Technology, Biotechnology and Functional English only is open to all students irrespective of the school from which they have passed the matriculation examination. Admission is on the basis of merit in the said examination as well as the child's performance in a single objective type written test paper in English, Physics, Chemistry, Bio-Sciences and Mathematics (of the matriculation standard of J & K BOSE) conducted by the IMI.
Only those students who pass the 11th class examination in IMI +2 Wing (will be admitted to 12th Class after paying the necessary fee.
- English, Physics, Chemistry, Biology (Medical Stream)
- English, Physics, Chemistry, Math (Non Medical Stream)
- 5th subjects offered:
Student Information Messaging (SIM) system
Communication software called "Student Information Messaging" system has been installed in the IMI. It is a two-way communication system so that the institute can communicate with parents through mobile phone text messages.
- Interactions with different intellectual and academic personages
- Nature Study Tours
- Sports and Games
Alumni of IMI possess higher positions in government, semi government and private institutions.
- Islamic Education: An Islamic education is provided. Students are taught to read and write Arabic, recitate the Quran and knowledge of the history of Islam.
- Hijab: To cover the head is one of the important parts of uniform. Girls from 2nd standard onwards cover their heads with a scarf.
- Mosque: Among the five pillars of Islam, Namaz is the second: It is obligatory for a Muslim to offer prayers five times a day. To make students realize the importance of Namaz, a period, exclusively for Zuhr prayers is kept by the management compulsory on all days in the boys wing and particularly on Fridays in the girls wing. An Ijtima is held after Nimaz on Fridays, where students themselves present their views on any Islamic, scientific and current topic, and discuss their ideas.
- Health bay: A medical unit headed by a full-time doctor, with trained staff, for the health care of students is available. Students are given treatment in the health bay during school hours.
- Anantnag wing
- IMI Main Archived 15 April 2010 at the Wayback Machine.
- Background Archived 15 April 2010 at the Wayback Machine.
- Courses Offered Archived 6 July 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- SIM Archived 6 July 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Awakening". Souzeinajourno.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-01-20.