Lena Sofie "Iréne" Theorin (born 18 June 1963) is a Swedish dramatic soprano opera singer.
Education and early years
Born in Gislaved Municipality (at the time Burseryd municipality), Småland, Theorin studied at the Academy of Music and Drama of the University of Gothenburg. After one year there, she received a contract at The Göteborg Opera in Gothenburg. After that she continued studying at 'The Opera Academy' in Copenhagen, Denmark. During her final year there, she also studied at the Royal Danish Academy of Music and received an Advanced postgraduate diploma.
Theorin's professional debut took place in Copenhagen, as Donna Anna in Mozart's Don Giovanni. Her repertoire includes Brünnhilde in Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen, Isolde in his Tristan und Isolde, the title role in Puccini's Turandot, and Elisabetta in Verdi's Don Carlos.
Theorin performed at the Royal Danish Theatre in Copenhagen in 2004, at the New National Theatre Tokyo in 2005 and performed the role of Brünnhilde on tour with Staatstheater Nürnberg at the Beijing Music Festival in the same year, in Richard Wagner's first-ever Ring Cycle in China. The cycle was produced by Stephen Lawless and the performances were conducted by Philippe Auguin. She performed as Helmwige in the "Ride of the Valkyries" conducted by Antonio Pappano in the 2005 Proms season at the Royal Albert Hall. During the Bayreuth Festival in 2008, Theorin performed the title role of Isolde in Tristan und Isolde and in 2009 gave guest performances at the Washington National Opera and the Metropolitan Opera in New York.
Theorin's extensive list of venues includes Deutsche Oper Berlin, Germany, the Vienna State Opera, Austria, the Mariinsky Theatre in Saint Petersburg, Russia, the Bavarian State Opera, Munich, Germany, the Liceu in Barcelona, Spain, the Salzburg Festival, Austria, The Royal Opera House, London the Teatro alla Scala in Milan, Italy and the Royal Swedish Opera in Stockholm, Sweden.
Theorin lives in Broaryd, Sweden.
- 1998: received the 'Léonie Sonning scholarship' (Danish: Stipendium fra Léonie Sonnings Musikfond)
- In 2011, Opera Britannia, described her as "one of Europe's finest Wagnerians".
- "Solistuddannelserne". Archived from the original on November 17, 2011. Retrieved December 26, 2011.
- Performance of the "Ride of the Valkyrie", Proms, 2005. Accessed 26 February 2016
- Per-Erik Skramstad (2008-07-26). "Iréne Theorin". Wagneropera.net. Archived from the original on 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2016-02-26.
- "Iréne Theorin, soprano :: Schedule". Operabase.com. Retrieved 2016-02-26.
- "Stipendium fra Léonie Sonnings Musikfond". Archived from the original on December 19, 2013. Retrieved December 19, 2013.
- "Wagner, Parsifal, English National Opera, London". Archived from the original on December 21, 2013. Retrieved December 19, 2013.