Ira Kaplan in 2005
|Born||January 7, 1957|
Queens, New York, United States
|Instruments||Vocals, Guitar, Piano|
|Associated acts||Yo La Tengo|
Ira Kaplan (born January 7, 1957) is the co-founder, vocalist, guitarist and songwriter of the American indie rock band Yo La Tengo. He is married to Georgia Hubley, Yo La Tengo's vocalist, drummer, songwriter and co-founder.
A graduate of Sarah Lawrence College, Kaplan formed Yo La Tengo in the early 1980s. Previously, he worked as a music critic for such publications as the SoHo Weekly News, New York Rocker and Village Voice, as well as serving as a soundman, roadie and backup musician for Mofungo and other New York-area bands.
Kaplan's life, family, and musical development were chronicled in the book Big Day Coming: Yo La Tengo and the Rise of Indie Rock, by Jesse Jarnow (Avery Books, 2012).
Kaplan's gear is a point of interest for many fans and aspiring guitarists.
- Candy Apple Red Fender Jazzmaster, with tortoise shell pickguard.
- Sunburst Fender Jaguar
- Natural Fender Stratocaster
- Sunburst Jerry Donahue Signature Telecaster
- Purple Sparkle Danelectro 12-string
- Candy Apple Red Fender Coronado
- Fender Super Reverb
- Fender Vibro-Lux
- Pro Co RAT (Two units are used)
- Boss TU-2 Tuner
- Boss OD-2 TURBO OverDrive
- Boss GE-7 Graphic Equalizer
- Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
- Digitech PDS-8000 Delay
- Line 6 DL4
- Line 6 MM4
- Mu-Tron III +
- Vox Wah
- Custom switching unit for routing & triggering between the two amplifiers.
- Allmusic.com Entry for Ira Kaplan
- Perfect Sound Forever: "From Gem Spa to the World"
- "An American Band: Yo La Tengo's Ira Kaplan Reminisces..." Baltimore City Paper, February 2, 2007 Archived April 6, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Booth, Vachel (1988) "Yo, Dudes! - Home runs and headbutts with Yo La Tengo", Underground, February 1988 (Issue 11), p. 21
- Big Day Coming review at Pitchfork.com
- WFMU archives for Ira Kaplan
- Guitargeek.com Guitar Rig Database entry
|This article on a United States rock guitarist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a singer-songwriter from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|