Ira Michael Heyman
Ira Michael Heyman
Secretary Adams with Secretary-Elect Ira Michael Heyman, 1994
|10th Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution|
|Preceded by||Robert McCormick Adams|
|Succeeded by||Lawrence M. Small|
|6th Chancellor of the University of California, Berkeley|
|Preceded by||Albert H. Bowker|
|Succeeded by||Chang-Lin Tien|
|Born||May 30, 1930|
New York City, New York
|Died||November 19, 2011 (aged 81)|
Ira Michael Heyman (May 30, 1930 – November 19, 2011) was a Professor of Law and of City and Regional Planning, and was Chancellor of University of California, Berkeley, and Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution.
Heyman was born in 1930 in New York City. He graduated from the Bronx High School of Science, and in 1951 from Dartmouth College. At Dartmouth he joined the Theta Chi men's fraternity. After serving as a U.S. Marine Corps officer during the Korean War, he entered Yale Law School, where he became editor of the Yale Law Journal. Following his graduation in 1956, he served as a law clerk for Judge Charles Edward Clark of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, and then from 1958 to 1959 he was a clerk for Chief Justice Earl Warren.
He returned to teaching law after leaving the Chancellorship. He was Counselor to the Secretary and Deputy Assistant Secretary for Policy at the U.S. Department of Interior, from 1993 to 1994; and Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution from 1994 to 2000. During his Berkeley years he became a member of the Bohemian Club, at which his closest associates included Caspar Weinberger, who was Ronald Reagan's Secretary of Defense.
- "Tribute. Professor Ira Michael Heyman", Albert H. Bowker, Herma Hill Kay and Preble Stolz, California Law Review, Vol. 81, No. 5 (Oct., 1993), pp. 1089-1099
- UCRAB Newsleter, Summer 2004
- "Ira Michael Heyman obituary: He led UC Berkeley, Smithsonian". Los Angeles Times. November 22, 2011. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- Yang, Sarah. "Ira Michael Heyman, former UC Berkeley chancellor, dies at 81". Berkeley News. UC Berkeley. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- I. Michael Heyman from the Smithsonian Institution Archives
- "Conversations with History:", Institute of International Studies, UC Berkeley
- "Ira M Heyman", The Los Angeles Times
- "Ira Michael Heyman, Former Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution, Dies at 81", Smithsonian Magazine, November 22, 2011
Albert H. Bowker
| Chancellor of the University of California, Berkeley
1980 – 1990
Robert McCormick Adams
| Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution
1994 – 1999
Lawrence M. Small