Ira Michael Heyman
|Ira Michael Heyman|
Secretary Adams with Secretary-Elect Ira Michael Heyman, 1994
|Chancellor of the University of California, Berkeley|
|Preceded by||Albert H. Bowker|
|Succeeded by||Chang-Lin Tien|
May 30, 1930|
New York City, New York
|Died||November 19, 2011
|Alma mater||Dartmouth College, Yale Law School|
Ira Michael Heyman (May 30, 1930 – November 19, 2011) was an Emeritus Professor of Law and of City and Regional Planning, and was Chancellor of University of California, Berkeley, and Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution.
Heyman was born in 1930 in New York City. He graduated from the Bronx High School of Science. He graduated from Dartmouth College in 1951. After serving as a U.S. Marine Corps officer during the Korean War, he entered Yale Law School, where he became editor of the Yale Law Journal. He graduated in 1956, and from 1958 to 1959 he served as a law clerk for Chief Justice Earl Warren.
He joined the law faculty at Berkeley in 1959, and he became Vice Chancellor in 1974. He was named Berkeley's sixth Chancellor and served in that capacity from 1980 to 1990. He returned to teaching law after leaving the Chancellorship. He was Counselor to the Secretary and Deputy Assistant Secretary for Policy at the U.S. Department of Interior, from 1993 to 1994; and Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution from 1994 to 2000. At Dartmouth he joined Theta Chi. During his Berkeley years he became a member of the Bohemian Grove, at which his closest associates included Caspar Weinberger.
- "Tribute. Professor Ira Michael Heyman", Albert H. Bowker, Herma Hill Kay and Preble Stolz, California Law Review, Vol. 81, No. 5 (Oct., 1993), pp. 1089-1099
- UCRAB Newsleter, Summer 2004
- "Ira Michael Heyman obituary: He led UC Berkeley, Smithsonian". Los Angeles Times. November 22, 2011. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- Yang, Sarah. "Ira Michael Heyman, former UC Berkeley chancellor, dies at 81". Berkeley News. UC Berkeley. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- I. Michael Heyman from the Smithsonian Institution Archives
- "Conversations with History:", Institute of International Studies, UC Berkeley
- "Ira M Heyman", The Los Angeles Times
- "Ira Michael Heyman, Former Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution, Dies at 81", Smithsonian Magazine, November 22, 2011