|Born||June 2, 1945|
South Bronx, New York, USA
Ira Shor (born June 2, 1945) is a professor at the College of Staten Island, City University of New York, where he teaches composition and rhetoric. He is also doctoral faculty in the PhD Program in English, at The Graduate Center, CUNY.
Shor grew up in the working class area in the South Bronx of New York City. According to Shor, coming from a working class area had a powerful influence on his thinking, politics and feelings.
- Critical Teaching and Everyday Life (1980)
- Culture Wars: School and Society in the Conservative Restoration (1986)
- A Pedagogy for Liberation, with Paulo Freire (1987)
- Freire for the Classroom: A Sourcebook for Liberatory Teaching (1987)
- Empowering Education (1992)
- When Students have Power: Negotiating Authority in a Critical Pedagogy (1996)
- Critical Literacy in Action (1999)
- Education is Politics (1999)
- "Faculty Profile". College of Staten Island. Archived from the original on 14 June 2016. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- "Ira Shor, Faculty Bios". City University of New York.
- "Ira Shor - What is Critical Literacy?". Lesley University. Fall 1999.
- "Author Bio: Ira Shor". www.heinemann.com. Retrieved 22 November 2016.