|Member of the Illinois Senate
from the 8th district
|Preceded by||Howard W. Carroll|
October 10, 1960 |
|Alma mater||Loyola University (B.A.)
John Marshall Law School (J.D.)
Ira I. Silverstein (born October 10, 1960) is a Democratic member of the Illinois Senate, representing the 8th district since 1999. The 8th Senate District consists of Forest Glen, North Park and West Ridge in the City of Chicago and its surrounding suburbs of Park Ridge, Morton Grove, Niles, Lincolnwood and Skokie.
He is currently the Democratic Caucus Chair.
Silverstein’s father was a public school teacher. Silverstein attended Boone Elementary School and Mather High School and then earned his bachelor’s degree from Loyola University Chicago. He later received his law degree from the John Marshall Law School.
Silverstein is the Chairman of the Senate Executive Committee, and he serves on the Senate Judiciary and Licensed Activities committees, and the Joint Committee on Administrative Rules (JCAR). JCAR reviews regulations imposed by state departments on business and citizens to ensure they are in accordance with the department’s legal authority.
In 2013, Silverstein introduced the "Internet Posting Removal Act" which sought to require web site admins to "upon request, remove any posted comments posted by an anonymous poster unless the anonymous poster agrees to attach his or her name to the post and confirms that his or her IP address, legal name, and home address are accurate. The bill was the subject of much derision, and was later withdrawn.
He has also introduced a modification to the Illinois Vehicle Code to make operating a motor vehicle with a wearable computing headset illegal.
Silverstein is a practicing attorney. He maintains offices in downtown Chicago and a neighborhood office on Devon Avenue, serving small business owners and residents in matters such as elder law, estate planning and business issues.
Silverstein is married to Chicago Alderman Debra Silverstein, and they have four children.
- "PA 97-0006 Legislative District 8" (PDF). 2011-05-18. Retrieved 2015-09-07.
- Ira I. Silverstein (2013-02-13). "Internet Posting Removal Act" (PDF). State of Illinois.
- Andrew Sellars, Illinois Clumsily Enters the Nymwars, Citizen Media Law Project, Feb. 19, 2013
- Mike Masnick, Illinois Politician Seeks To Outlaw Anonymous Comments (But Allow Anonymous Gun Ownership), Techdirt, Feb. 19, 2013
- Jaikumar Vijayan, Illinois lawmaker hastily pulls bill that would have stripped online anonymity, Computerworld (Feb. 22, 2013).
- "Illinois Senate Bill 2632"., LegiScan, (Dec. 03, 2013).
- Senator Ira I. Silverstein (D) at the Illinois General Assembly
- Illinois State Senator Ira I. Silverstein constituency site
- Profile at Project Vote Smart
- Senator Ira I. Silverstein at Illinois Senate Democrats