This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Iran Darroudi (2006)
|Born||September 2, 1936|
|Education||Ecole Superier des Beaux-Arts, École du Louvre, Royal Academy of Brussels|
|Known for||Fine Art Painter|
Iran Darroudi (Persian: ایران درودی born September 2, 1936 in Mashhad) is a contemporary Iranian artist, living between Tehran and Paris. Her art consists of surreal paintings dealing with Iranian themed imagery and strong lighting.
Born in Mashhad, Iran to a family consisting of traders from Khorasan on her fathers side and on her mothers side the family was Caucasian merchants who had settled in Mashhad. Her family moved to Hamburg, Germany for her fathers business in 1937 and by the early 1940s they were forced to leave because of the beginnings of World War II. By 1945 her family returned to Mashhad.
Darroudi studied at Ecole Superier des Beaux-Arts in Paris, history of art at the École du Louvre in Paris, stained glass at the Royal Academy of Brussels, and television direction and production at the RCA Institute in New York City.
In 1968 she made 55 minute long documentary about the 1968 Venice Biennial. She was appointed as an honorary professor at the Industrial University of Tehran, teaching art history. In 1969 the ITT Corporation commissioned her to paint Iranian Oil. She held successful exhibitions in Paris and at the Atrium Artist Gallery, Geneva, and a month later at Galarie 21, Zurich.
In 1978 she moved to France.
In 1966 in New York City, she met and married Parviz Moghaddasi, who was studying television direction. The couple worked at the newly established Iranian television organization as producer and director for six years.
Her husband Parviz Moqaddasi died in 1985, her first art after his death was a piece titled, Assumption of Parviz.
Select solo exhibitions
- 2008 - Tehran Museum of Contemporary Art
- 1999 - L.A. University, Los Angeles
- 1999 - Virginia Tech University, Blacksburg, Virginia
- 1994 - United Nations, New York
- 1975 - La Galleria Gallery, Mexico
- 1960 - Farhang Hall, Iran
- 1958 - Miami Beach Art Center, Miami, Florida
In 1974 a film on Darroudi's life directed by Victor Stoloff was broadcast on American television.
In 1997, her autobiography, In the Distance Between Two Points, was published.
- Shahrokhi, Shamsi (July 31, 2013). "Iran Darroudi : A Never Ending Artist". Persian Tribune. Archived from the original on December 28, 2014. Retrieved December 28, 2014.
- "Meet an Iranian painter: Iran Darroudi". Neo-resistance. December 2, 2009. Retrieved December 28, 2014.
- Eskandar, Amir Hossein (May 10, 2012). "Photos: Iran Darroudi's Exhibition at the Iranian House of Artists in Tehran". Payvand Iran News. Retrieved December 28, 2014.
- "Darroudi to Be Honored". Financial Tribune. 2015-08-25. Retrieved 2018-06-16.
- "Resources, Iranian Painters". Toos Foundation. Jamil Kharrazi Charity Foundation. Archived from the original on December 29, 2014. Retrieved December 28, 2014.
- "Iran Darroudi: The Painter of Ethereal Moments (2009)". IMDB. Retrieved December 28, 2014.