2002–03 Iraqi First Division League
Statistics of Iraqi Premier League in season 2002/2003.
The second stage of the league was abandoned following American/British attack on Iraq. The Iraq Football Association crowned Al-Shurta champions as they were the league leaders at the end of the first stage. This meant that Al-Shurta qualified for the 2003 Prince Faisal bin Fahd Tournament for Arab Clubs.
Final league standings
- The 2002/3 season was cut short due to hostilities, with Al Shorta declared winners
- The crowd watched in bright sunshine, as the Iraqi champions al-Shurta edged their rivals by one goal
- Soccer fans in Baghdad watch a match between national champions Al Shurta and fourth-placed Al-Zawra in the first football match since the downfall of Saddam Hussein
- Champions of the 2002/2003 season: Al-Shorta
- A capacity crowd of ten thousand watched defending champion Police beat Al-Zawra, 2-1
- Baghdad club Al-Zawraa were beaten by defending champion Al-Shurta, 2-1
- Police won the last league championship last year. Al-Zawra placed fourth in that championship
- Iraqi champion Police trounced Al-Zawra 2-1 in the first soccer match since the downfall of Saddam
- Iraqi champion Police beat al-Zawra 2-1 in the first soccer match in Iraq since the downfall of Saddam Hussein
- A near-capacity crowd turned out on Friday to see Iraqi champion Police trounce al-Zawra 2-1