This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Public sector undertaking|
|Founded||27 April 1976|
|Headquarters||C-4 District Centre, |
|Services||Engineering, procurement and construction|
|₹84.66 billion (US$1.2 billion) (2018)|
|₹12.49 billion (US$180 million) (2014)|
Number of employees
|Parent||Ministry of Railways|
Ircon International Limited, formerly Indian Railway Construction Company Limited (IRCON), is an engineering and construction, specialized in transport infrastructure. The PSU was established in 1976, by the Government of India under the Companies Act 1956. IRCON was registered as the Indian Railway Construction International Ltd., a wholly (100%) owned entity of the Ministry of Railways. Its primary charter was the construction of railway projects in India and abroad. Ircon has since diversified into other transport and infrastructure segments and with its expanded scope of operations around the world, the name was changed to Indian Railway International Ltd. in October 1995.
The Ircon is well known for undertaking challenging infrastructure projects, especially in difficult terrains in India and abroad. Ircon has completed over 1250 major infrastructure projects in India and over 200 major projects across the globe in more than 31 countries.
- 1 Area of business
- 2 Major projects
- 3 Milestones achieved
- 4 Countries of operation
- 5 Customers
- 6 Subsidiaries
- 7 Joint ventures
- 8 Related news
- 9 References
- 10 See also
- 11 External links
Area of business
The core competence of the company in order of priority are - Railways, Highways and EHT Substation Engineering and Construction. Ircon is a turnkey construction company that is specialized in railways (new railway lines, rehabilitation/conversion of existing lines, station buildings and facilities, bridges, tunnels, signalling and telecommunication, railway electrification, and wet leasing of locomotives), highways, EHV sub-station (engineering, procurement and construction) and metro rail.
- Chabahar-Zahedan Railway: In May 2016, during Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's trip to Iran, agreement was signed to develop two berths at Port of Chabahar and to build new Chabahar-Zahedan railway from Chabahar Port in Iran to Afghanistan, as part of North–South Transport Corridor, by Indian Railway's public sector unit Ircon International. The establishment of the port of Chabahar's connection to the country’s railway plan, is under study and consideration. With the completion of the Kerman–Zahedan railway and its connection to the port of Chabahar, this port will connect to the Trans-Iranian Railway.
- Project includes design, construction, completion, testing, commissioning and maintenance of the double track project between Seremban and Gemas, Malaysia. Ircon is helping Malaysia revive a multibillion-dollar rail project that had been shelved in 2003 due to its high cost, Malaysia's transport minister said Saturday, according to a report. - 21 April 2007 - India's Ircon to take part in multibillion-dollar railway project in Malaysia. After winning this project worth USD 1 Billion in Malaysia for doubling of the track the company was awarded the rehabilitation of Railway line projects of about 250 million US$ in Sri Lanka.
- The project deals with design and construction of New BG Rail link from Quazigund – Baramulla (both stations inclusive) in Kashmir valley inclusive of planning, design and construction of all the services and residential buildings, circulating area, parking, platforms, subways, shelters and other allied structures of all stations involved the construction of Rail link between Quazigund and Baramulla (Total Length 117 km) in Kashmir Valley. The project was turn key construction involving the following areas:
- Survey & Design
- Infrastructure Works (Earthwork, Bridges)
- Track Work
- Signalling Works
- Electrical Works
The project is unique and challenging in the aspect that it passes through the difficult terrain, inaccessible areas and working in the region severely affected by militancy. The project posed the challenge by involving high bridges, viaducts and tunnels. Ircon was assigned the work by Ministry of Railways on the ground of its capability of executing the work in challenging and difficult areas. Ircon completed above project despite adverse climate and conditions. At a time of heavy snowfall and rainfall when there was no work going on in the valley Ircon engineers and staff were on the job completing the work in a tight time frame.
The scope of the project is the construction of Digha–Sonpur rail–road bridge, a steel superstructure and other ancillary works of rail cum road bridge across river Ganges at Patna. It is one of its own kind because of huge steel structured bridge amounting to over INR 1200 Crores. Digha–Sonpur rail–road bridge is the first largest steel girder bridge and is completed at the cost of ₹1,570 crore (US$230 million). It has been operational since February 2016.
- Total length of track laid = 2025.62 km
- Total length of track (Ongoing Projects) = 1174 km
Countries of operation
- South Africa
- Sri Lanka
- Delhi Metro Rail Corporation
- Government of India
- Indian Railways
- Malaysia Railway
- Ministry of Road Transport and Highways
- Mozambique Ports and Railways
- National Highways Authority of India
- Rail Vikas Nigam Limited
Ircon Infrastructure & Services Limited
Ircon Infrastructure & Services Limited (IISL, a wholly owned subsidiary of Ircon International Limited) was incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956 on 30 September 2009. The company has obtained a Certificate of Commencement of Business on 10 November 2009 from the office of Registrar of Companies.
The main objects of the company as enshrined in its Memorandum and Articles of Association are to undertake infrastructure projects; to carry on any infrastructure construction work on Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT), Build-Own-Operate-Transfer (BOOT), Build-Lease-Transfer (BLT), etc. or otherwise or any other scheme or project found suitable in and related to the field of infrastructure projects and other ancillary fields; planning, designing, development, improvement, commissioning, operation, maintenance, etc. in the field of construction of infrastructure of Multi Functional Complexes (MFCs), etc. to provide facilities and amenities to users of Indian Railway System. News:; and all matters in the field of real estate and allied areas to make use of the opportunities that may arise. This includes providing project management, quality management, safety, health and environment related consultancy services to clients. Following are its main clients:
Ircon PB Tollway Limited
Ircon PB Tollway Limited (IPBTL, a wholly owned subsidiary of Ircon International Limited) was incorporated under the Companies Act, 2013 in September 2014. The company has obtained a Certificate of Commencement of Business in October 2014 from the office of Registrar of Companies.
The main objects of the company as enshrined in its Memorandum and Articles of Association are to undertake Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT), is to construct a road infrastructure between Phulodi and Bikaner in the state of Rajasthan in India for National Highway Authority of India.
Ircon Shivpuri Guna Tollway Limited
Ircon Shivpuri Guna Tollway Limited (ISGTL, a wholly owned subsidiary of Ircon International Limited) was incorporated under the Companies Act, 2013 in May 2015.
The main objects of the company as enshrined in its Memorandum and Articles of Association are to undertake Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT), is to construct a road infrastructure between Shivpuri and Guna in the state of Madhya Pradesh in India for National Highway Authority of India.
- Chairman - Deepak Sabhlok
- Chief Executive Officer - Masood Ahmad Najar
- Chief Financial Officer - Mohammad Hannan
IRCON is a 51% equity stakeholder in IRSDC, and 49% is held by Rail Land Development Authority, with a purpose to develop smart railway station in India
- Divestment: the Railway Ministry has sought the views of its public sector units, Ircon International and Rail India Technical and Economic Services (RITES), on a possible offload of Government stake in them. Both the profit-making firms are wholly owned by Indian Railways. The Railways could be considering this move to raise funds for the proposed dedicated freight corridor project News Report, 20 June 2011
- Net profits: 3.39% rise in the December 2010 quarter New Report, 3 February 2011
- "About Us". www.ircon.org. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "Annual Report, 2013-2014" (PDF). Ircon International. Retrieved 12 August 2011.
- "subsidiaries". www.ircon.org. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "About Us". Ircon International. Retrieved 8 February 2018.
- India-Iran sign key agreements, Published: 23 May 2016
- "Girder erection and deck casting work has been completed on 45 spans of the bridge in a record time".
- "Ircon executes landmark railway projects in Bihar".