|Born||18 November 1960|
(Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering)
(Master of Business Administration)
|Occupation||Electrical Engineer & Politician|
|Years active||1986 — present|
|Title||Minister for Energy & Minerals|
Irene Nafuna Muloni is a Ugandan electrical engineer, businesswoman and politician. She is the Cabinet Minister for Energy and Minerals in the Ugandan Cabinet. She was first appointed to that position on 27 May 2011. In the new cabinet list released after the 2016 national elections, she maintained her position. She served as the elected Member of Parliament for Bulambuli District Women's Representative, from 2011 until 2016. In 2016, she lost her seat to Sarah Nambozo Wekomba, an Independent.
Background and education
She was born on 18 November 1960, in what is known today, as Bulambuli District.She attended Budadiri Girls' Primary School before entering Gayaza High School. In 1982, she entered Makerere University, the oldest university in East Africa, to study Engineering. In 1986, she graduated with an honours Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSc.E.Eng) degree. Later, she graduated with the degree of Master of Business Administration (MBA), from Capella University in Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States. She is also a Certified Public-Private Partnership Specialist, accredited by The Institute for Public-Private Partnerships, Inc. (IP3) and the Water, Engineering and Development Centre (WEDC) of Loughborough University.
From 2002 until 2011, Irene Muloni worked as the Managing Director of the Uganda Electricity Distribution Company Limited (UEDCL), a Ugandan parastatal company, responsible for distribution of electrical power to both commercial and retail customers nationwide. In 2011, she entered elective politics, by successfully contesting for the Bulambuli District Women's Representative in the 9th Ugandan Parliament (2011 - 2016). On 27 May 2011, she was appointed Minister of Energy & Minerals, by President Yoweri Museveni. She replaced Hilary Onek, who was appointed Minister of Internal Affairs. In the cabinet changes made on 6 June 2016, she maintained her cabinet appointment.
- Monitor Team (28 May 2011). "Full of List of Ugandan Ministers Appointed by President Museveni". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 14 June 2016.
- Uganda State House (6 June 2016). "Museveni's new cabinet list At 6 June 2016" (PDF). Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 14 June 2016.
- Olaka, Denis (19 February 2016). "Minister Muloni Loses Bulambuli Seat". Kampala: Uganda Radio Network. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- Wandawa, Vicky (1 July 2011). "Muloni: From A Budadiri Village Girl to A Minister". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 14 June 2016.
- Monitor Team (March 2011). "Members-Elect of The 9th Ugandan Parliament" (PDF). Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- Uganda State House (6 June 2016). "Uganda's New Cabinet As At 6 June 2016". Scribd.com. Retrieved 14 June 2016.