Iris, The Happy Professor
|Iris, The Happy Professor|
|Also known as||Professor Iris|
|Created by||Henri Desclez|
|Developed by||Henri Desclez|
|Written by||Henri Desclez|
|Directed by||Chuck Rubin|
Pierre R. Thériault
|Creative director(s)||Henri Desclez|
|Voices of||Pier Paquette|
|Theme music composer||Stéphane Deschamps|
Benoit Roberge (1993)
Joël Champagne (1993)
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||156|
|Executive producer(s)||Henri Desclez|
|Production location(s)||Montreal, Quebec|
|Production company(s)||Desclez Productions|
|Original network||The Learning Channel|
|Picture format||480i (4:3 SDTV)|
|Original release||1992 –|
Iris, The Happy Professor (also known as Professor Iris and in French as Iris, le gentil professeur or Professeur Iris) was a Canadian-produced television show that ran for 156 episodes from 1992 to 1994, created by former Belgian-born comic book artist Henri Desclez and revolving around Professor Iris, a purple ibis who taught his class, which included his three students - Piano, Skeleton, and Plant. The Professor would teach a variety of subjects to his students and would always wear bowties based on whatever the lesson was.
A French-language version was made by Montreal's Cinélume Film et Vidéo (first under the supervision of Vincent Davy for the first two seasons; uncredited on the first, credited on the second), then Christine Boivineau for the remaining episodes (with Joey Galimi for song adaptation).
- Professor Iris: voiced by Pier Paquette, Edgar Fruitier (uncredited) (English); Pierre Auger (French) - A purple ibis and teacher of the unnamed school that serves as the series' setting. He is knowledgeable, optimistic, and the series' protagonist.
- Skeleton: voiced by Frank Meschkuleit, Rob Mills (English); Jean Galtier (French) - A ibis with bones laid over a red cardigan.
- Piano: voiced by Tim Gosley (English); Élise Bertrand (French) - A purple piano.
- Plant: voiced by Tim Gosley (English); Gilbert Lachance (French) - A whimsical-looking flower in a flowerpot.
- Ms. Principal: voiced by Frank Meschkuleit, Rob Mills (English); François Sasseville (Episodes 1 to 26; uncredited), Daniel Picard (French) - A white duck and headmistress of the school. She often walks into the class when it gets noisy to complain about the racket.
- Mr. Plumeau: voiced by Michel Lapointe (English); Edgar Fruitier (French) - A brown dog and janitor of the school.
- Kiwi: voiced by Jani Lauzon (English); Lisette Dufour (French) - A green frog and the niece of Ms. Principal.
Iris, The Happy Professor has aired in several countries and territories including Canada, France, the United States, Israel, Hong Kong, the United Kingdom, Latin America, Malaysia, Singapore, Spain, and Jordan.
- Iris The Happy Professor Super Website on archive.org
- Iris, The Happy Professor on IMDb
- Information about the show on UNIS TV
- Information about the French dub
- French information on Planète Jeunesse
|This article about a children's television series is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|