|Born||25 January 1993|
|Education||University of Lille|
|Height||1.72 m (5 ft 7 1⁄2 in)|
|Title||Miss Flandre 2015|
Miss Nord-Pas-de-Calais 2015
Miss France 2016
Miss Universe 2016
|Beauty pageant titleholder|
|Miss France 2016|
Miss Universe 2016
Iris Mittenaere (French pronunciation: [i.ʁis mit.naʁ]; born 25 January 1993) is a French model, television host, and beauty pageant titleholder who was crowned Miss Universe 2016. She is the second Miss Universe from France after Christiane Martel, who was elected Miss Universe 1953. Mittenaere had previously been crowned Miss France 2016 and Miss Nord-Pas-de-Calais 2015.
Early life and education
Mittenaere was born on 25 January 1993 in Lille, to Yves Mittenaere, a middle school history and geography teacher, and Laurence Druart, a primary schoolteacher and museum guide. She has a brother, Baptiste, and a sister, Cassandre, and a younger half-sister, Manon. Her parents divorced when she was three years old.
Mittenaere attended school in Steenvoorde, where she lived with her mother. In 2011, she graduated with honors from lycée with a focus on science. After graduating, she moved to Lille, where she attended Lille 2 University of Health and Law, studying dentistry.
Miss France 2016
After winning the local title of Miss Flandre 2015 on May 2, 2015 in Bailleul, Mittenaere entered the Miss Nord-Pas-de-Calais 2015 regional pageant in Orchies, which she won on September 26, 2015. Mittenaere represented Nord-Pas-de-Calais at the Miss France 2016 pageant. On 19 December 2015, she was crowned Miss France by outgoing Miss France 2015 and former Miss Nord-Pas-de-Calais 2014 Camille Cerf in Lille. It was a back-to back for the region.
As Miss France, Iris Mittenaere promoted oral hygiene and launched an awareness campaign on oral health. She participated in oral hygiene awareness programs at French schools, declaring that "it is necessary to act at an early stage and to develop proper teeth brushing among school children".
Miss Universe 2016
Mittenaere competed in Miss Universe 2016 where she succeeded Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach of the Philippines. Mittenaere became only the second woman from her country to win the crown after Christiane Martel won Miss Universe 1953, breaking France's 63-year title drought. Mittenaere is the first European winner since Oxana Fedorova of Russia, who was crowned Miss Universe 2002 but soon after dethroned, and the first European titleholder to complete her year as Miss Universe since Mona Grudt of Norway who won Miss Universe 1990.
In the first part of the question and answer portion, Mittenaere called for opened borders. She was asked by Harvey : "Given today's worldwide refugee crisis, do countries have an obligation to accept refugees or do they have a right to close their borders?" Mittenaere replied:
Throughout the world, people can choose to have borders open or close. In Europe, we have open borders. In France, we want to have the most globalisation that we can. We want to have the biggest exchange of people that we can. Maybe someday that will change, but now we have open borders.
According to one of the judges, Mickey Boardman, who wrote about his experience as a Miss Universe judge in The New York Times, "it was the question-and-answer portion that put her over the top. While the other contestants didn’t seem to actually answer the question about a mistake they had made in life and what they had learned from it, she was poised and well spoken". Indeed, the top three contestants were asked the same final question by Steve Harvey: "Name something over the course of your life that you failed at, and tell us what you learned from that experience ?" and she replied:
I have failed several times in my life. I thought I had failed my first year in medical school because my name wasn’t on the passing list. So, the very same day I went to buy a new set of medical books to keep on studying. I think when you fail, you need to stand up and keep going, we are all able to do so. If I don’t win tonight, I will still keep on smiling tomorrow because I am proud to be part of the three finalists. I’ve learnt a lot from my failures and happily, I did end up passing my first year of medical school.
Iris Mittenaere was crowned with the DIC crown at the Miss Universe 2016 contest. As a result of a lawsuit between IMG and Diamonds International Corporation (DIC), she wore the Diamond Nexus Crown from March 2017 until the end of her reign.
In her capacity as Miss Universe, she served as a judge at Puteri Indonesia in Jakarta, at Miss Egypt in Cairo where she visited the Great Pyramid of Giza, at Miss Peru in Lima, at Miss Guyana held in New York City and at Miss Diva in Mumbai, then visited the Taj Mahal.
As a global ambassador, she attended diplomatic events at the Embassy of France in Cairo, the Embassy of France in Manila, the Embassy of the United States, Manila, the Consulate general of France in New York, the Consulate general of France in Alexandria and was invited to Emmanuel Macron's speech to the French expat community at the Kaufmann Concert Hall of 92Y in New York City. She traveled to Bali, Indonesia to shoot a commercial for C 1000, a vitamin brand available in Indonesia and attended Farouk Systems's Global Conference in Cancun, Mexico.
As a charity ambassador for Smile Train, she traveled to Mexico City and Cap-Haïtien to visit cleft lip and cleft palate patients and witnessed first-hand a cleft surgery. As the newest Madrina of the Latino Commission on AIDS, she attended the Annual fundraising Cielo Gala to benefit the Latino Commission on Aids and was also invited to Project Sunshine's 14th Annual Benefit Celebration Bright together in New York City.
At New York Fashion Week, she walked the runway twice at Sherri Hill's fashion show in February and September 2017. In June 2017, she attended Joyrich x Snoop Dogg's Fashion show at MADE LA 2017 in Los Angeles and was invited to the AmfAR generationCURE Solstice 2017 in New York City. In an interview with USA Today, Mittenaere talks about the secret to 'French girl style' and how it is manufactured.
In March 2017, during her week-long homecoming celebration in Paris and in her hometown of Lille, France, Iris Mittenaere was invited by the President of France, François Hollande, at the Élysée Palace and was attributed a regional award by the President of Hauts-de-France, Xavier Bertrand.
In her native country, France, she returned for a visit to walk the runway at the Jean Paul Gaultier's fashion show at Paris Fashion Week, to climb the steps of the Palais des Festivals at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival and to attend the AmFAR Charity Event, "Cinema against AIDS", in Cannes.
During her reign as Miss Universe, Iris Mittenaere traveled to the Philippines, Indonesia (twice), Haiti, Cayman Islands, Ecuador, Mexico (twice), Peru, India, Egypt and numerous trips around the United States and France.
For her last walk as the reigning Miss Universe, Iris Mittenaere wore a Michael Cinco scarlet red ombré Couture gown, in full Swarovski crystals, which featured a fitted bodice and flowing train, before passing on the crown to her successor Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters of South Africa as Miss Universe 2017 on 26 November 2017 at Planet Hollywood Las Vegas in Las Vegas, Nevada.
From 4 to 9 December 2017, she participated to the Miss Universe's Christmas Tour in the Philippines, alongside her successor Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters and predecessor Pia Wurtzbach, then served as co-president of the jury with Jean-Paul Gaultier at Miss France 2018, appearing on stage with the five finalists as a part of the fashion swimsuit portion of the competition and putting an end to her international pageant career.
In December 2017, a documentary film about her Miss Universe reign, produced by Endemol Shine Group and titled From Miss France to Miss Universe, the fabulous destiny of Iris, was broadcast on TF1 and watched by 5.4 millions viewers in France. The camera crew followed Mittenaere's reign as Miss Universe, her humanitarian travel, her trips and homecoming in France, and her family's reaction to her new life.
Iris Mittenaere began her television career in 2018, becoming a co-host of the French version of Ninja Warrior. In February 2018, Iris Mittenaere presented an award at the 2018 Victoires de la Musique, wearing designer Stéphane Rolland. In September 2018, Mittenaere began competing in the ninth season of Danse avec les stars, the French version of Dancing with the Stars. Her professional partner on the show was Anthony Colette, and together they placed second in the season's finale on December 1, 2018. From February 2019, she is the host of the Lottery Drawings and EuroMillions on TF1.
In March 2018, she was invited by the First Lady of Ivory Coast to attend the 7th Gala dinner of the Children of Africa Foundation, marking its 20th anniversary and the opening of a new hospital. She also participated to a Smile Train event, visiting families of cleft patients in Abidjan, Ivory Coast. Iris Mittenaere partnered with French Artist Philippe Shangti to create an artwork titled "I'm Iris, I'm not a princess", sold at an Auction for proceeds to Smile Train.
On 7 November 2018, Iris Mittenaere released her first autobiography titled in French Toujours y croire : Miss Univers, une jeune femme (pas) comme les autres which means Always believe in yourself: Miss Universe, a young woman (un)like any other. The book was published by HarperCollins. The book chronicles Mittenaere's origins in Northern France and her pageantry experience, in addition to beauty tutorials and advice for young women in order to build self-confidence. The same day, Mittenaere's Toujours y croire book tour launched, kicking off in her hometown of Lille. Other cities include Paris, Lyon, Toulouse, Bordeaux, Cannes, Dunkirk, Reims, Nantes in France, Brussels in Belgium and Geneva in Switzerland.
On February 3, 2019, Iris Mittenaere was on the judging panel of Top Model Belgium 2019 at Le Lido. From February 12 to 17, 2019, she was the guest star in Jean-Paul Gaultier's Fashion Freak Show at the Folies Bergère. She is Morgan's brand ambassador for 2019. On April 20, 2019, she was the face of Casa Fashion show 's 14th edition, "The future is female", in Casablanca, Morocco. From May 2019 to January 2020, she is a vedette in choreographer Kamel Ouali's L' Oiseau Paradis new revue at the Paradis Latin. On May 22, 2019, Iris Mittenaere climbed the steps of the Palais des Festivals at the 2019 Cannes Film Festival in a couture light pink crystallized ballgown designed by Michael Cinco. She also attended de Grisogono Host Gala Dinner, wearing a bejewelled blue one-shoulder gown, designed by Lebanese Ziad Nakad, which was adorned in gems and sequins.
- "Iris Mittenaere : Miss Nord-Pas-de-Calais, relève de Camille Cerf, est une bombe". purepeople.com (in French). 28 September 2015.
- "Iris Mittenaere". gala.fr (in French). Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- "Bailleul : la Steenvoordoise Iris Mittenaere a été élue Miss Flandre 2015". lavoixdunord.fr (in French). 3 May 2015. Archived from the original on 24 December 2015.
- "Steenvoorde : la Flamande Iris Mittenaere élue miss Nord-Pas-de-Calais". lavoixdunord.fr (in French). 27 September 2015. Archived from the original on 22 December 2015.
- "Meet Miss France 2016". France 24. 20 December 2015.
- "Iris Mittenaere, Miss France 2016 : doublé historique pour le Nord - Pas-de-Calais (VIDÉO)". La Voix du Nord (daily).
- "Miss France s'engage pour... la santé de vos dents" (in French). TNTV News. 2016-06-13.
- "Montpellier : les enfants de La Paillade se sont brossé les dents avec Miss France". Midi Libre (in French). 2016-12-10.
- "Miss France 2016 à la rencontre des enfants de la Paillade à Montpellier" (in French). France Bleu. 2016-12-10.
- ""NRJ Music Awards" 2016 – Amir, Justin Bieber, Coldplay,... Revivez les temps forts de la cérémonie" (in French). LCI. 2016-11-12.
- Mehta, Ankita. "Miss Universe 2016 winner is Miss France Iris Mittenaere". International Business Times. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- McDermott, Maeve (30 January 2017). "Miss France Iris Mittenaere is crowned Miss Universe 2017". USA Today.
- "Miss France Iris Mittenaere Crowned Miss Universe 2017!". etonline.com. Retrieved 31 January 2017.
- "Miss Universe Iris Mittenaere calls for open borders". gulfnews.com. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- "My Time as a Miss Universe Judge". The New York Times. Retrieved 4 February 2017.
- "Miss Universe producer sues Czech maker of winners' crowns". Reuters. 2017-05-16.
- "Miss Universe 2016, Iris Mittenaere Enjoying Indonesian Hospitality at The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta". What's new Jakarta. 2017-04-05.
- "Miss Universe 2016 empanelled on Miss Egypt Universe 2017 contest". Egypt Today. 2017-10-24.
- "Miss Universe 2017 shares beauty of Egypt on visit to promote tourism". Al-Arabiya. 2017-10-26.
- "Iris Mittenaere coronó a Prissila Howard como Miss Perú Universo" (in Spanish). El Comercio (Perú). 2017-09-22.
- "Miss Universe Guyana Pageant set for Saturday evening in NYC". Guyana Times. 2017-08-18.
- "Iris Mittenaere basks in 'magical' beauty of India". GMA Network. 2017-10-11.
- "Miss Universe Iris Mittenaere arrives in Egypt to promote tourism, support charity work". Al-Ahram. 2017-10-23.
- "Miss Universe is 'very French'". Philippine Daily Inquirer. 2017-02-06.
- "Iris Mittenaere tours US Embassy, prepares to fly to New York". GMA Network. 2017-02-01.
- "Iris Mittenaere : rayonnante pour son retour à New York" (in French). Paris Match. 2017-06-09.
- "Miss Univers 2017 à Alexandrie" (in French). Consulat général de France à Alexandrie. 2017-12-27.
- "Iris Mittenaere invitée surprise du " One man show " d'Emmanuel Macron à New York". Gala (in French). 2017-09-20.
- "Farouk Systems Hosted Global Conference in Cancun". Farouk.com. 2017-09-22.
- "Miss Universo 2016 colabora como embajadora en apoyo a ninos con labio y paladar hendido" (in Spanish). HOYT.am. 2017-08-01.
- "La Nordiste Iris Mittenaere en voyage à Haïti pour soutenir les enfants atteints de fente labiale" (in French). France Info. 2017-05-05.
- "A Tremendous Success the Annual Cielo Gala Honoring Broadway's Hamilton Star Javier Muñoz, Macy's and Dr. Mary T. Bassett". Market wired. 2017-05-04.
- "Miss Universe 2016 Iris Mittenaere attends Project Sunshine's 14th Annual Benefit Celebration "Brighter Together" at Cipriani 42nd Street on April 27, 2017 in New York City". Getty images. 2017-04-27.
- "FASHION WEEK DE NEW YORK : BAPTÊME RÉUSSI POUR IRIS MITTENAERE" (in French). La Parisienne. 2017-02-14.
- "Iris Mittenaere attends amfAR generationCURE Solstice 2017 at Mr. Purple on June 20, 2017 in New York City". Getty images. 2017-06-20.
- "Miss Universe Iris Mittenaere says 'French girl style' is manufactured". USA Today. 2017-06-28.
- "Miss Univers: François Hollande va rencontrer Iris Mittenaere à l'Elysée". L'Express (in French). 2017-03-14.
- "Iris Mittenaere (Miss Univers) : "François Hollande est très drôle"" (in French). TV Magazine. 2017-03-19.
- "Iris Mittenaere: Sublime et en transparence, elle défile pour Jean Paul Gaultier" (in French). Pure People. 2018-01-02.
- "Cannes 2017. Iris Mittenaere, Miss Univers sur la Croisette" (in French). Paris Match. 2017-05-25.
- "Iris Mittenaere envoûtante à l'amFAR" (in French). Paris Match. 2017-05-26.
- "How Michael Cinco got to make the gown for Miss Universe 2016 Iris Mittenaere". Lifestyle.Inq. 2017-11-28.
- "South Africa's Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters wins Miss Universe 2017". ABS-CBN News. 26 November 2017.
- Domirez, Darren (26 November 2017). "Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters wins first Miss Universe 2017 crown for Miss South Africa in 39 years". Inquisitr.
- "Miss Universe 2017". Amar Ujala. Retrieved 27 November 2017.
- "Miss Universe winners preparing for Christmas Tour in Manila". Tempo. 4 December 2017.
- "VIDEO. Miss France: Iris Mittenaere et Jean-Paul Gaultier présideront l'élection 2018". 20 Minutes. 16 November 2017.
- "Le fabuleux destin d'Iris Mittenaere (Miss France / Miss Univers) : 5.4 millions de Français devant le documentaire de TF1". Toutelatele. 18 December 2017.
- "Miss France 2019 : Un documentaire inédit sur Iris Mittenaere sera diffusé après l'élection de Miss France". MYTF1. 29 November 2017.
- Litaud, Emmanuelle (26 March 2018). "Iris Mittenaere, animatrice dans Ninja Warrior : « TF1 était mon objectif numéro 1". Le Figaro (in French).
- "Victoires de la musique 2018: Le décolleté XXL et le pantalon scintillant d'Iris Mittenaere, miss Univers 2016". HuffPost. 9 February 2018.
- "Iris Mittenaere confirmée au casting de Danse avec les stars 9". Le Parisien (in French). 2 September 2018.
- "Loto et Euromillions : Iris Mittenaere rejoint l'équipe de présentation !" (in French). Télé 7 jours. 19 December 2018.
- "Côte d'Ivoire : les 20 ans de la fondation "Children of Africa" attirent le Gotha mondial". Tribune Ouest. 26 February 2018.
- "IRIS MITTENAERE VISITS CLEFT PATIENTS IN COTE D'IVOIRE". Smile Train. 28 March 2018.
- "Iris Mittenaere: I'm Iris, I'm not a princess by Philippe Shangti". artSixMic. 10 June 2018.
- "Sortie de son livre, DALS...Iris Mittenaere se confie". Le Progrès (in French). 10 November 2018.
- "Les cinq (bonnes) raisons de lire "Toujours y croire", le livre d'Iris Mittenaere". 20 minutes (in French). 7 November 2018.
- "Avec Iris Mittenaere en dédicace dans le Nord, attendue "comme le messie" par ses fans". Le Parisien (in French). 8 November 2018.
- "Iris Mittenaere, membre du jury de Top Model Belgium: "Non, je ne ferai pas d'effeuillage"" (in French). DH.be. 3 February 2019.
- "" Fashion Freak Show " : Iris Mittenaere sur scène pour Jean-Paul Gaultier". Le Parisien (in French). 31 January 2019.
- "Prêt-à-porter Iris Mittenaere égérie de l'enseigne Morgan pour 2019". La Voix du Nord (daily) (in French). 6 February 2019.
- "Maître Gims, Iris Mittenaere, Vitaa... Le Casa Fashion Show annonce ses têtes d'affiches". HuffPost (in French). 18 February 2019.
- "Iris Mittenaere, ancienne Miss France et Miss Univers 2016, a trouvé un nouveau travail". GQ (in French). 4 March 2019.
- "LOOK: Miss Universe 2016 Iris Mittenaere wears Michael Cinco to Cannes 2019". Rappler. 22 May 2019.
- "Miss Universe 2016 Iris Mittenaere looks queenly in a Michael Cinco gown at Cannes 2019". GMA Network. 26 May 2019.
- "Cannes 2019: Arab Designers Steal the Spotlight on Day Nine of the Film Festival". Emirates Woman. 23 May 2019.
- "Iris Mittenaere fait partie des femmes les plus influentes selon Forbes !". Ma chaîne étudiante. 19 June 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Iris Mittenaere.|
- Iris Mittenaere on Twitter
- Iris Mittenaere on Instagram
- Iris Mittenaere on Miss Universe Official Website
|Awards and achievements|
| Miss Universe
| Miss Universe France
| Miss France
| Miss Nord-Pas-de-Calais
| Miss Flandre