Iris van Herpen
Iris van Herpen
Iris van Herpen during the Haute Couture Spring Summer 2012
|Born||June 5, 1984|
Wamel, The Netherlands
|Iris van Herpen|
|Website||Iris van Herpen Official Website|
Iris van Herpen (born 5 June 1984) is a Dutch fashion designer. van Herpen started her fashion label in 2007. She is a guest member of the Parisian Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture, part of the Fédération française de la couture. Van Herpen has shown her collections at the Paris Fashion Week since January 2011. Van Herpen's work has been included in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Victoria & Albert Museum, the Cooper-Hewitt Museum in New York and the Palais de Tokyo in Paris. Much of her work has been characterized as belonging to the subfield of fantasy couture.
Van Herpen attended the Preparatory Course Art & Design at ArtEZ University of the Arts in Arnhem. During her high school years, she became particularly interested in designing clothes. She studied Fashion Design at ArtEZ, interned at Alexander McQueen in London and Claudy Jongstra in Amsterdam and graduated in 2006. In 2007, she started her own label focusing on women's wear collections. For this reason, Van Herpen prefers interdisciplinary research and collaborations with other artists. Van Herpen is a pioneer in utilizing 3D-printing as a garment construction technique, and an innovator using technology as one of the guiding principles in her work.
Because of van Herpen's multidisciplinary approach to creation, she has collaborated with various artists such as Jolan van der Wiel and Neri Oxman and architects such as Philip Beesley and Benthem and Crouwel Architects. The designer's interest in science and technology has led to ongoing conversations with CERN (The European Organization for Nuclear Research) and Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Awards and recognition
- TIME Magazine names Iris van Herpen's 3D printed dresses one of the 50 Best Inventions of 2011.
- ANDAM Grand Prix Award (2014)
- STARTS Prize, granted by the European Commission (2016)
- Johannes Vermeer Award, Dutch state prize for the arts (2017)
- 2019 Prix Versailles World Judge
- Rebecca Mead (25 September 2017). "The New Yorker - Iris van Herpen's Hi-Tech Couture". newyorker.com.
- Anneka Shally (21 November 2018). "BETWEEN THE LINES:IRIS VAN HERPEN'S FANTASY COUTURE". Annekadotes.com.
- Iris van Herpen ~ Sensory Seas, retrieved 2020-01-31
- "Biography - Iris van Herpen". irisvanherpen.com. Retrieved 17 February 2018.
- "Smithsonian - The Dutch Designer Who Is Pioneering the Use of 3D Printing in Fashion". smithsonianmag.com. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- "Metropolis - Iris van Herpen Is Making the Fashion of the Future". metropolismag.com.
- "Magnetic dresses by Iris van Herpen and Jólan van der Wiel". dezeen.com. 30 July 2013.
- "Dezeen - Voltage by Iris van Herpen with Neri Oxman and Julia Koerner". dezeen.com. Retrieved 2013-01-22.
- "Azure - Transforming Fashion: Philip Beesley and Iris van Herpen's Future Couture". azuremagazine.com. Retrieved 2018-06-13.
- "Water dress by Iris van Herpen". benthemcrouwel.com.
- "Iris Van Herpen Created These CERN-Inspired Outfits Using 3D Printing And Magnets". vice.com. 3 October 2014.
- "Iris van Herpen and Neri Oxman collaborate on 3DPrinted fashion". wired.com. 22 January 2013.
- http://thecreatorsproject.com/blog/dressing-björk-meet-fashion-designer-iris-van-herpen Archived 2013-03-17 at the Wayback Machine
- "Roskilde Festival". bjork.fr. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- "New York Times - Paris Opera Shows Off Its Brilliance". nytimes.com. Retrieved 2015-09-25.
- "Sasha Waltz - Kreatur". sashawaltz.de. Retrieved 2017-06-09.
- "SHOWstudio - Splash!". showstudio.com. Retrieved 2013-12-18.
- David (2012-03-09). "TIME Magazine names Iris van Herpen's 3D printed dress one of the 50 Best Inventions of the 2011 | i.materialise 3D Printing Service Blog - watch us make the future (feel free to join in)". I.materialise.com. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- "Vogue - Iris van Herpen named winner of the ANDAM 2014 Grand Prize". vogue.fr. Retrieved 2014-07-04.
- "STARTS Prize - Magnetic Motion". starts-prize.aec.at. Retrieved 2016-06-23.
- "Johannes Vermeerprijs 2017". johannesvermeerprijs.nl. Retrieved 2017-10-30.
- Prix Versailles website
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Iris van Herpen.|