Irish Champion Hurdle
|Petit Mouchoir||Footpad||Ivanovich Gorbatov|
The Irish Champion Hurdle is a Grade 1 National Hunt hurdle race in Ireland which is open to horses aged four years or older. It is run at Leopardstown over a distance of about 2 miles (3,219 metres), and during its running there are eight hurdles to be jumped. The race is scheduled to take place each year in late January.
The event was established in 1950, and it is now one of two Irish races, along with the Punchestown Champion Hurdle, which can be seen as equivalents of the Champion Hurdle in England. The most recent winner of the Leopardstown version to win the Champion Hurdle in the same season was Hurricane Fly in 2011. The Irish Champion Hurdle was sponsored by AIG Europe from 1993 to 2008, and by Toshiba in 2009 and 2010. The race has been sponsored by BHP Insurance since 2011.
- Most successful horse – Hurricane Fly, 5 wins (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- Most successful jockey – Charlie Swan,(1991, 1 998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003); Ruby Walsh (2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016) 6 wins each
- Most successful trainer – Willie Mullins, 6 wins (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
- Amateur jockeys indicated by "Mr".
- Racing Post:
- pedigreequery.com – Leopardstown Champion Hurdle – Leopardstown.