Type of site
|Internet encyclopedia project|
The Irish Wikipedia (Irish: Vicipéid na Gaeilge) is the Irish-language version of Wikipedia, run by the Wikimedia Foundation and established in October 2003, with the first article being written in January 2004. The founder of Vicipéid was Gabriel Beecham. In September 2005 over 1600 articles had been written, with 173 contributors (both regular and irregular) having written material. By March 2007, about 20 regular Wikipedians were writing articles, with up to seven thousand articles having been created. In November 2013, it went over the 28,000 article mark, making it the 85th largest Wikipedia by article count.
The Vicipéid now encompasses a wide range of subjects, including topics as diverse as philosophy, genetics, Aboriginal bark canoes and maritime terminology. The Vicipéid also draws (with permission) directly from Fréamh an Eolais, an Irish-language encyclopedia of science and technology.
The Vicipéid has been favourably received by Irish-language media. In his paper on Putting the learning back into learning technology, Barry McMullin of Dublin City University suggested that while the Irish Wikipedia is never likely to contain as many articles as the Wikipedias in the world's most widespread languages, it is still a useful resource. He felt that when seeking knowledge about certain topic areas it was likely to be more useful than the Wikipedias in English and other languages, because of its evolution to contain the only, primary or definitive Wikipedia articles in any language on those areas.
Other academic sources have emphasised the site's educational value. The role of the Vicipéid as an educational tool at tertiary level has been acknowledged in the context of Wikimedia use, involving projects supported by NUI Galway.
- Liam Upton. "Beo! - Wikipedia: tionscadal an-fhiúntach ar fad". Beo.ie. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
- Willie Dillon (2007-03-09). "Wikipedia Insanica - Features, Unsorted". Independent.ie. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
- Fealsúnacht#.C3.93n 16.C3.BA haois go dt.C3.AD an 19.C3.BA haois
- Curach choirte na hAstráile
- Téarmaí seoltóireachta
- Hussey, Matthew (2011). Fréamh an Eolais. Baile Átha Cliath: Coiscéim.
- Mary Beth Taylor. "Beo! - Wikipedia ag fás de shíor". Beo.ie. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
- Diarmaid Mac Mathúna. "Beo! - Suíomhanna den chéad scoth". Beo.ie. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
- "Putting the learning back into learning technology". Aishe.org. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
- "Immersion Education - General Teaching Council for Northern Ireland Repository". Gtcni.openrepository.com. 2007-12-14. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
- Sharon Flynn. "Academic Writing and Wikipedia". Research.ie. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
|Irish edition of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia|
- Vicipéid (Irish)
- Irish Wikipedia mobile version (not fully supported) (Irish)
- Statistics for Irish Wikipedia by Erik Zachte
|This Wikimedia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|