|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Coorg Valley in the God's own country
View of Iritty Bridge built in 1933
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||91 (0)490|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-KL|
|Vehicle registration||KL 13 (Kannur) and KL 58 (Thalassery)|
|Nearest city||Thalassery and Kannur|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Kannur|
Iritty is a Municipality (Malayalam: ഇരിട്ടി നഗരസഭ) and a taluk in the district of Kannur in the state of Kerala, India. The town is the main market place for the farmer communities in the surrounding regions. Iritty is known as The Coorg Valley in God's Own Country. Iritty is one of the fast upcoming towns in Kerala and one among four taluks in Kannur district..
- 1 Location
- 2 Geography
- 3 Villages in Iritty Taluk
- 4 Etymology
- 5 Climate
- 6 Transportation
- 7 Commerce
- 8 Institutions / Government Firms in Iritty
- 9 Hospitals
- 10 Blood Bank
- 11 Higher Education/ Technical Education/ IT Education
- 12 Govt/ Aided/ Unaided Schools
- 13 Pilgrim Centres & Religious Centres
- 14 Tourism
- 15 Notable residents
- 16 See also
- 17 References
- 18 External links
Iritty is located on the banks of Valapattanam River, which is originated from nearby Kodagu hills and Kottiyoor mountains. Iritty is situated on the Thalassery-Coorg-Mysore highway. Nearby smaller towns are Peravoor, Payam, Kakkayangadu, Keezhppally, Vallithode, Karikkottakary, Angadikadavu, Anappanthy, Edoor, Ulikkal, Vattiyamthode, Manikkadave, Kilyianthara, Punnad, Charal, Edapuzha, uruppumkutti and Chavassery.
Aralam Wildlife Sanctuary is situated 8 kilometres (5 mi) from Iritty.
Iritty is surrounded by hills. A river flowing through Iritty is more commonly known as Iritty Puzha/Iritty River. Tourists visiting Iritty have the option of staying at a number of riverside Tourist homes, from where they can view the Iritty river. There is a steel girder bridge, built in 1933, over the river. There is a Dam in the place Pazhassi for irrigation purpose named 'PazhassiDam'. it is almost 10 km from the town. Wayanad tourist destinations are near from this place.The nearby areas are depending for their most of the shopping Iritty. Payam, Vallithode, Kilyianthara, Kondambra,Kolikkadavu, keezhur, Ulickal, Vattiyamthode, Mattara, Kalanki, Manikadave, Manippara Perumpally, Nuchiyad, Vayathoor, Edoor, Peratta, Karikottakari, Angadikadave, Kootupuzha, Charal, Alathupramba, Thermala, Urathoor etc. are the nearby small towns around.
The steel bridge in Iritty is a 10-ton bridge constructed in 1933 by the British authorities to connect the towns of Kodagu and Thalassery. It was designed by George Anderson of the Institution of Civil Engineers. A July 2015 death of a man after being accidentally wedged between the handrail and a private bus raised concerns about the bridge's age.
Villages in Iritty Taluk
Iritty Taluk has 19 villages
- Aralam, Ayyamkunnu, Chavasseri and Kalliad
- Kanichar, Keezhur, Kelakam and Kolari
- Kottiyoor, Manathana, Muzhakkunnu and Nuchiyad
- Padiyoor, Payam, Pazhassi and Thillankeri
- Vayathur, Vellarvalli and Villamana
Iritty, one of the beautiful hill side towns in the north Malabar of Kerala. The beauty of Iritty lies together with the unique rivers, streams, green hills and valleys. The main Streams of Iritty river are by the three rivers such as Bavali river, Aralam river and Barapuzha(Veni river). Before the name 'Iritty,' made the first cry, this land was nourished by two main rivers, one Barapuzha and Bavalipuzha . People started calling both the rivers confluence as Iratta puzha ( Double River & 'Puzha' means River ), and in course of time the land became Iritty...
|Climate data for Iritty, Kerala|
|Average high °C (°F)||31.6
|Average low °C (°F)||21.4
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||3
Iritty lies at an equal distance from the nearby cities of Kannur, Thalassery, Mahe, Taliparamba and Virajpet (Karnataka State). An interstate highway passes through Iritty connecting Thalassery and Kodagu. This was initially called the TC Road by the British. Now it refers to the Thalassery end of the highway. This highway is used by interstate bus services plying to Madikeri, Mysore and Bangalore. Keezhur is the starting point of Iritty town.
This place is well-connected by road from both Kannur and Thalassery. There are frequent buses from Iritty and to both these places and to several places across Kerala including Kottayam, Cochin (Ernakulam), Mangalore, Kasaragod, Panathur, Malom, Cherupuzha, Wayanad and Kozhikode. There is no railway line, with the nearest railway stations at Kannur and Thalassery. The nearest airport is Calicut International Airport at Kozhikode. Kannur International Airport, under construction at Mattannur in Kannur district was expected to be operational by the end of 2014 and is located 18 km south-west of Iritty.
Iritty is one of the major towns of the Kannur district. With nearby villages which produce cash crops and plantation crops, Iritty is a major commercial town too. It is one of the growing towns in the district. Iritty is famous for cash crops such as pepper, rubber and cashew nuts, some of which are sold under regional brands in various auction houses and commodities markets.
Institutions / Government Firms in Iritty
- Fire Station Iritty
- SIET CD MART (Project under Dept of Education - Kerala), Nr Fire Station, Iritty
- Labour Office NP Road Iritty
- Sub Treasury, Falcon Plaza Iritty
- State Ware House Iritty
- KSFE New Bustand Iritty
- Amala Multi Speciality Hospital, Keezhur.
- Thulasi Malabar Hospital, Iritty.
- Karunya Hospital, Iritty.
- Nikhil Hospital, Iritty.
- P T Chacko Memorial Co-operative Hospital, Iritty.
- Reena Nursing Home.
- Christu Raja Dental Clinic
- Asokan's Dental Clinic.
- ECHS Poly Clinic, Iritty
- Govt.Taluk Hospital, Iritty
- S M Hospital, Iritty
- Thalassery Blood Donors Wing
- Kannur Sara Memorial Blood Bank
- Thalassery Co-operative Hospital
- Pariyaram Medical College
- General Hospital Thalassery
Higher Education/ Technical Education/ IT Education
- Mahatma Gandhi College,Iritty, affiliated to Kannur University
- Amala School of Nursing, affiliated with Indian Nursing Council
- Don Bosco College, Angadikadavu, a self-financing college affiliated to Kannur University
- EMS Memorial College of Applied Science, Iritty
- Majlisu Nashathi Sunniyya, Uliyil
- Sree Narayana Guru College of Arts and Science, Veerpad, Iritty
- De Paul College, Edathotty, Kannur University
- Ideal Arabic College, Narempara, Uliyil,affiliated to kannur university
- Pushparam ITI(Pvt.), Iritty
- MG ITI under Iritty Educational Society, Keezhur Kunnu, Iritty
- Chaithanya Institute of Engineering, Nerampoku Road, Iritty
- Nikhil School of Nursing
- Central Institute of education and Training, affiliated to Dept.of Technical Education, Govt.of kerala,NP Road Iritty
- Centre for Development of Imaging Technology (C-dit)
- Rutronix institute of Computer Education
- Sree Sankaracharya Computer Center,City Tower New Bus Stand Iritty
- Sac IT Education
- CIIT Computer Training Centre, Nr Canera Bank Iritty
- CIMAS Animation Campus, Falcon Plaza Iritty
- NORKA Roots Skill Development Centre, Nr Sub Treasury Iritty
- CGFT Garment Training Centre Iritty
- UNIVERSAL College N P Road Iritty
Govt/ Aided/ Unaided Schools
- Global India Public School (GIPS) Vilakkode
- St. Mary's Higher Secondary School, Edoor.
- St. Sebastian's Higher Secondary School, Velimanam.
- Iritty Higher Secondary School.
- GHSS Aralam.
- St. Joseph's High School, Kunnoth.
- Sacred Heart Higher Secondary School, Angadikkadave.
- Govt.Higher Secondary School, Pala
- GHSS, padiyoor
- St.Thomas HSS, Kiliyanthara
- Kavumbady Higher Secondary School
- GHSS Chavassery.
- St. Thomas High School, Karikkottakari.
- Govt. High School, Perinkari
- Zuhra UP School, Vellarivayal.
- Vazhunnavars UPS, Keezhur
- SDA English School Keezhur, Iritty
- St.John Bapist EHSS, Kadathumkadavu, Iritty
- CMI Christ School, Iritty
- Benhill English School, Iritty
Pilgrim Centres & Religious Centres
- Sree Adiyerimadam Devi Temple, Aralam. Phone: 0490 2500400, 9745845100 www.adiyerimadamtemple.com
- Sree Kairathi Kiratha Temple Iritty
- Sree Mahavishnu Temple Keezhur
- Sree Mahadeva Temple Keezhur
- Sree Puthiya Bhagavathi Kavu, Peumparamba
- Sree Mundayamparamba Tharakkumeethal Bhagavathi Temple
- Sree Vairee Khathakan kshethram,Payancheri
- Sree Koorumba Bhagavathi temple Payancheri, Iritty
- Sree Kavoottu Paramba Ganapati-Mahadeva Temple,Keezhur kunnu
- St. Mary's Forane Church Edoor
- St.Josephs Church Iritty
- Sacred Heart Church Angadikkadavu
- ST.SEBASTIAN CHURCH NELLIKKAMPOIL
- ST.Mary's church Thermala
- ST.Thomas church karikkottakary
- ST.Mary's church edoor
- ST. Sebastian's church velimanam
- ST. John's C.S.I church, vallithode
Iritty and the surrounding areas have a choice of tourism attractions.
- Aralam Wildlife Sanctuary
- Pazhassi Dam and garden
- Kanjirakkolly waterfalls
- Perumparamba Mahatma Gandhi Park
- Coorg valleys
- Krishnagiri river and Barapole hydroelectric project
- Central State farm at Aralam
- Steel girder bridge at Iritty built by British
- Ambayathode, Anappanthy, Angadikadavu and Aralam
- Ayyankunnu, Edoor, Elapeedika and Kanichar
- Karikkottakary, Keezhpally, Keezhur and Keezhurkunnu
- Kelakam, Koloyad, Kottakkuthazhe, Kottiyoor and Kottiyoor Temple
- Kottiyoor Vysakha Mahotsavam, Kunnathoor Padi, Malayampadi and Manathana
- Manikkadavu, Manippara, Muzhakkunnu, Nedumpoil and Nuchiyad
- Peravoor, Punnad, Tholambra, Ulikkal, Uruppumkutti and Vallithode
- Vaniyappara, Vattiyamthode, Vayathur and Vekkalam
- Velimanam, Vellarvelly Chungakkunnu and Vilamana
- "Iritty basic information".
- Nazeer, Mohamed (August 2, 2015). "Man's death puts spotlight on safety of Iritty bridge". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2015-12-06.
- "Method of Erecting the Iritty Bridge, Malabar". 25. The Railroad Gazette. March 24, 1893. p. 224.
- "Method of Erecting the Iritty Bridge Malabar". 14. The Railway Engineer. June 1893. pp. 174–175.
- "Story behind name".
- "CLIMATE: IRITTY", Climate-Data.org. Web: .
- "Iritty More information of Iritty".
- "Kannur International Airport".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Iritty.|