Irkutsk State University
|Motto||Intelligence, Humanism and Uniqueness|
|Rector||Prof. Alexander Arguchintsev|
Irkutsk State University (Russian: Иркутский государственный университет) was founded in October 1918 in Irkutsk, Siberia. At present, the University consists of 19 faculties, 7 educational institutions and 1 branch. Over 18 thousand students, including 300 foreign students from 27 countries, study at University in 52 specialties, and more than 620 lecturers (120 Dr. Sc. and 357 Cand. Sc. professors) work there. Among other facilities Irkutsk State University has the Center for Advanced Training and Retraining, 3 research institutes, Interregional Institute of Social Sciences, Center for New Information Technologies, Baikal Research and Education Center, department for post-graduate and doctoral courses, scientific libraries, astronomical observatory and botanic garden.
The University faculties and institutions are located in 9 educational buildings in Irkutsk and in Bratsk. The majority of these buildings are of great historical and architectural value. They date back to the 18th-19th centuries. Senior students of all the faculties have specialized courses and internship in laboratories and scientific research institutions of ISU and Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
For decades, Irkutsk University has trained more than 70 thousand highly qualified specialists, famous scientists, teachers, writers, and statesmen, including State Prize winners A. Belov, Ya. Khabardin, G. Feinstein, M. Gerasimov, G. Debetz, and famous talented writers V. Rasputin, A. Vampilov, and M. Sergeev.
Irkutsk State University (ISU) is the oldest higher educational institution in Eastern Siberia and the Far East.
Russian scientists, statesmen, patrons of art and science, such as N.M. Yadrintsev, A.P. Shchapov, P.A. Slovtsov, S.S. Shchukin, G.N. Potanin and many others were founders of Irkutsk State University. The University was opened on October 27, 1918. It became the major educational, scientific and cultural center on the vast territory of Eastern Siberia and Far East region. During the 1930s, the University continued to grow and develop and soon in Irkutsk the first higher educational institutions emerged from it. They were Medical Institute, Pedagogical Institute and the Institute of National Economy. At present, the ISU graduates work in scientific institutions of Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Academy of Medical Sciences, as well as they represent highly qualified personnel of teachers in higher educational institutions of Irkutsk and Siberia.
Faculties and Institutes
- International Institute of Economics and Linguistics
- Institute of Mathematics, Economics and Computer Science
- Institute of Social Sciences
- Padagogy Institute
- Law Institute
- Baikal International Business School
- Faculty of Biology and Soil Studies
- Faculty of Business and Management
- Faculty of Chemistry
- Faculty of Geography
- Faculty of Geology
- Faculty of History
- Faculty of Psychology
- Faculty of Philology and Journalism
- Faculty of Physics
- Faculty of Service and Advertising
- Siberian-American Faculty of Management
- Faculty of Humanities and Arts
- Pedagogy Faculty
- Faculty of Applies Psychology
- Faculty of Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science >
Notable faculty members
- Valentin Rasputin, writer
- Alexander Vampilov, writer
- Mark Sergeev, poet
- Evgeny Chernikin, zoologist and ecologist
- Irkutsk State University Official
- Institutes and faculties
- Scientific-Research Institutes
- Branches in Angarsk and Bratsk
- Botanic Garden of Irkutsk State University or Botanic Garden of the Irkutsk State University