|Genres||Speed metal, power metal, heavy metal|
|Years active||1980–1983, 1983–1986, 1997–2007, 2015–present|
|Past members||Thorsten Lohmann|
Peter "Piet" Wittke (Deceased)
Sven Strüven (Deceased)
Ron "Schrotti" Schaffer
Early years, reunion and split (1980-2007)
Iron Angel first formed in 1980 as a school band called Metal Gods, taken from the Judas Priest song of the same name. In 1983, they renamed themselves Iron Angel, which was inspired by a novel about a spirit hunter. It consisted of vocalist Dirk Schröder, guitarists Peter Wittke and Sven Strüven, bassist Thorsten Lohmann and drummer Mike Matthes. Their first demo was released in 1984 called Power Metal Attack, followed by two more that year. Their first two full-length albums Hellish Crossfire and Winds of War were released in 1985 and 1986 respectively. Lohmann had left the band with Günther Moritz temporarily replacing him for the tour with King Diamond in Germany for the support of Winds of War. They disbanded in late 1986. In 1990, Schröder and Matthes, together with Ritchie Blackmore's son, Jürgen Blackmore, founded the short-lived band Superstition. Whittke and Moritz later founded the thrash metal band Roots, releasing only a demo titled Now in 1999. Iron Angel reunited in 1997 as a 4-piece band, excluding Lohmann and Strüven, and with the addition of Moritz as the new member. They were in the midst of finishing recording of what was to be their third album titled The Rebirth, and then begin work on a talked about fourth album which was to be titled Vier. In 2000, Peter Wittke died in a car accident and Moritz left the band, thus eliminating the possibility of both albums being released. A self released demo titled Back from Hell was released in May 2007, consisting of only Schröder and Matthes. The band disbanded again that year as they could not find any suitable new members. In 2008, Sven Strüven died. Information regarding his death is currently unknown.
Second reformation (2015-present)
In 2015, Iron Angel reformed again with a brand new line-up, with returning drummer Mike Matthes (who was replaced with Ron Schaffer, then replaced with Mäx Behr in 2016), along with new guitarists Mischi Meyer and Joachim Folta (who was replaced with Robert Altenbach in 2016), and bassist Didy Mackel. They performed their return shows, starting with the Headbangers Open Air in 2015, the Metal Magic Festival in 2016 and their successful touring of South America in 2017. The band's third studio album titled Hellbound was released on 4 May 2018, marking their first full-length offering in 32 years.
Influence and style
Iron Angel's musical approach is influenced by bands such as Motörhead, Slayer and Judas Priest, according to former drummer Mike Matthes, "We wanted to try to connect speed metal with melodic elements, what was not asked at the time yet, unfortunately, but later it was done by bands like Helloween and then was also accepted by the fans. I am also of the opinion that we were not a thrash metal band, but a speed metal one." He then recalled a show in Belgium where Kreator vocalist/guitarist Mille Petrozza told Matthes that Iron Angel was "the worst thrash metal band, but the best speed metal band from Germany."
- Current members
- Dirk Schröder - Vocals (1983–1986, 1997–2007, 2015–present)
- Robert Altenbach - Guitars (2016–present)
- Mischi Meyer - Guitars (2015–present)
- Didy Mackel - Bass (2015–present)
- Mäx Behr - Drums (2016–present)
- Former members
- Thorsten Lohmann - Bass (1983–1986)
- Mike Matthes - Drums (1983–1986, 1997–2007, 2015), Bass, Guitars (2000–2007)
- Peter "Piet" Wittke - Guitars (1983–1986, 1997–2000) (Died 2000)
- Sven Strüven - Guitars (1983–1986) (Died 2008)
- Günther Moritz - Bass (1997–2000)
- Ron "Schrotti" Schaffer - Drums (2015–2016)
- Joachim Folta - Guitars (2015–2016)
- Live musicians
- Günther Moritz - Bass (1986)
- Power Metal Attack (1984)
- Legions of Evil (1985)
- Hellish Crossfire (1985)
- Winds of War (1986)
- Rush of Power (2000) - First demo on LP
- The Tapes (2004) - Live 1986, Germany tour with King Diamond
- Rush of Power (2004) - Live 1985 Warpke open Air
- Back From Hell (Demo 2007)
- Hellbound (2018)
- "IRON ANGEL". voicesfromthedarkside.de.
- "Sven Strüven 1964 - 2008". billiongraves.com.
- "IRON ANGEL To Release Third Studio Album 'Hellbound' In May". Metal Forces. Retrieved 11 December 2017.
- "IRON ANGEL". voicesfromthedarkside.de.