Iron Range Historical Society
The Iron Range Historical Society is located in the McKinley Village Hall
5454 Grand Avenue|
McKinley, St. Louis County, Minnesota, USA
The Iron Range Historical Society is a historical society that operates a research library in McKinley, Minnesota. The society is a non-profit organization that exists through donations and volunteers.
The Iron Range Historical Society has a collection of more than 20,000 photographs in 80 albums, in addition to old newspapers and directories of people who lived in the larger Iron Range cities dating from 1899 until recent times. Other artifacts onsite and in storage include books, photo displays and office machinery, vintage clothing, logging and mining artifacts, and other material of archeological, geological or historical significance. The mission of the society is to "collect, preserve and share" these materials.
The Iron Range Historical Society publishes four newsletters annually entitled Range Reminiscing, in addition to other publications. The Iron Range Historical Society received praise from the Mesabi Daily News for the publication of their 2009 book Iron Range Beauty. The Iron Range Historical Society is also responsible for the oversight of several off-premises attractions. One of these, the Longyear Drill Site, has recently completed renovation. The Iron Range Historical Society also made efforts in 1976 to save the last remaining smokestack at the Corsica Mine near Elcor, Minnesota. Architecturally significant, it was built by Cornish men of the mining industry in 1901 and was the last of its kind on the Iron Range. In 2010, the Iron Range Historical Society was awarded a Legacy Grant from the Minnesota Historical Society to broaden accessibility to their newspaper records, and a grant from the Eveleth Area Community Foundation for the publication of their 2015 book Iron Range Ghost Locations.
The Iron Range Historical Society is located in the McKinley Village Hall at 5454 Grand Avenue in McKinley, Minnesota. The future of the Iron Range Historical Society was in question for a time due to the sale of its previous location in the old Gilbert City Hall. The society collects information from all three of Minnesota's Iron Ranges.
- "Orchids and Onions 8/1". virginiamn.com. Mesabi Daily News (MN). 1 August 2009. Archived from the original on 18 March 2018. Retrieved 7 February 2010.
- "Longyear Drill Site Renovation" September 24, 2009 Range Times (MN)
- White, Jesse (25 September 2009). "Renovating the historic Longyear Drill site". virginiamn.com. Mesabi Daily News (MN). Archived from the original on 18 March 2018. Retrieved 7 February 2010.
- "There She Blows-Finally! Attempt to Save it Too Late: Old Stack Blasted Down" September 28, 1976 Hibbing Daily Tribune (MN)
- "Last Stack Bombed: Old Stack Blown; Protests Overridden" September 28, 1976 Mesabi Daily News (MN)
- "Before...and After" September 29, 1976 Gilbert Herald (MN)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-06-11. Retrieved 2010-09-22. May 2010 Legacy Small Grant Recipients: MNHS.ORG
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-09-24. Retrieved 2015-06-29. "Iron Range Historical Society Receives Grant to Publish Book" February 27, 2015 Hometown Focus (MN)
- City of Gilbert/Minutes of Regular Council Meeting/Tuesday, March 18, 2003/Council Chambers April 17, 2003 Gilbert Herald (MN)