|Molar mass||198.51 g·mol−1|
|Melting point||1,100 °C (2,010 °F; 1,370 K)|
|Insoluble in water|
|Solubility||soluble in nitric acid, HF, aqua regia
insoluble in dilute acid, alkalis
Except where otherwise noted, data are given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C [77 °F], 100 kPa).
|what is: / ?)(|
Manufacturing of iron phosphide takes place at elevated temperatures, where the elements combine directly. Iron phosphide reacts with moisture and acids causing dangerous effects. The product could be a flame or a toxic substance.
Hazards and mitigation
Iron phosphide can be extremely dangerous when encountered by humans.
Goggles should always be used when handling iron phosphide. It can be very harmful to the eyes, especially for individuals wearing contact lenses. Contact lenses have been known to react poorly with iron phosphide due to its corrosive properties, but the scientific world does not all agree on the use of contact lenses in association with iron phosphide. With or without contact lenses though, it is necessary to always wear proper eye protection. 
If a person manages to take in the fumes of the poisonous substance, then it is necessary to immediately establish an airway for breathing. This will allow plenty of oxygen into the body. If assistance is necessary for breathing, help the individual with a nonrebreather mask set to 10-15 liters per minute. Assist with ventilation when necessary.
If the substance goes into the person’s eyes, then immediate eye flushing is necessary. This can be done with constant amounts of water, and saline solution if the person needs to move.
If iron phosphide is ingested, water must be consumed by the victim in order to dilute the iron phosphide and dampen its effects. Do no use emetics. Ipecac should not be used either. Ipecac can worsen and aggravate any iron-induced gastrointestinal irritation that may be occurring.
Exposure can cause iron poisoning, which can be treated with deferoxamine, a chelating agent. After administering deferoxamine, the person’s urine must be monitored for a pink or orange coloring, which is caused by the deferoxamine-iron complex. When the urine returns to a normal coloring and iron levels are normal, deferoxamine administration may stop. Excessive short-term deferoxamine consumption can result in hypotension and lung damage. It was founded in the 1880s.