Ironwood High School
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Ironwood High School|
|6051 West Sweetwater Avenue, Glendale, Arizona, United States of America 85304|
|Motto||It's Just Better Here #IJBH|
|Color(s)||Red and grey|
|AIA Class||5A Conference|
|Website||Ironwood Home Page|
Ironwood High School is a public secondary school located in Glendale, Arizona, United States, part of the Peoria Unified School District. The school opened in August 1986 with its first graduating class in 1989. Since 2004, it has offered the IB Diploma Programme to its junior and senior year students, with a Pre-IB program for its freshman and sophomore-year students. It is the district's third-largest high school by enrollment.
Ironwood's student body of 1987 students, as of the 2014-2015 school year, was:
In 2004, Ironwood High School began to offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme to juniors and seniors. Since 2004, the school has graduated over 100 full diploma members. Ironwood offers the standard five areas of English, History, Science (Physics and Biology), Foreign Language (French and Spanish), and Math, as well as numerous six area courses. The six area courses offered include Art, Computer Science, Economics, Music, Photo, Physics, and Theatre. The school also offers a two-year AIM program sponsored by the district in order to prepare pre-IB students. Ironwood offers the IB/AIM Club as a way to support IB and Pre-IB students.
Advanced Placement Program
Ironwood offers numerous Advanced Placement courses. These include higher level computer science, history, math, and science. However, since Ironwood took on the IB program in 2004, the number of AP classes has declined compared to other schools in the Peoria Unified School District, due to the popularity of IB classes.
There are five choir groups at Ironwood:
- Excelsis (formerly Chamber Singers)
- Ironmen (formerly Men of Iron[wood])
- Ea-gals (formerly Girls' Ensemble)
- Mixed Choir
- Concert Choir
- Beginning Dance
- Advanced Dance
- Performance Dance
- Dance Club
Ironwood is home to three bands:
- Marching Band - Ironwood Marching Eagles
- Jazz Band
- Concert Band
Ironwood Marching Eagles
The Ironwood Marching Eagles is a distinguished group that plays at pep assemblies, football games, parades, and festivals. The Eagles participate in all games, both home and away, and play a half-time performance when at home and a pre-game performance when away. They typically compete in two to three festivals per year. They have competed in multiple matching band state festivals, including the 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 festivals. The Ironwood Marching Eagles' season starts in July with band camp held on campus, and the season extends into early November.
Drama is responsible for sponsoring the fall play, spring musical and annual talent show. The students participate in backstage activities to run each production as well performing in the shows. The club also provides social activities for students involved in the fall play and spring musical.
Clubs and activities
The following is a list of clubs offered at Ironwood High School as of the fall of 2011. Ironwood also formerly offered Hockey and Bowling as clubs.[better source needed][better source needed][better source needed]
The following are K-8 schools that feed into Ironwood:
- Danny Cruz - soccer player, San Francisco Deltas (Class of 2007)
- Mackenzie Dern - six-time World Jiu-Jitsu Champion (Brazil), current Mixed Martial Artist (Class of 2011)
- Paul Ernster - National Football League punter (Class of 2000)
- Eric Hagg - National Football League safety (Nebraska) (Class of 2007)
- Joshua Sweeney - Paralympic gold medalist (Class of 2005)
- "Ironwood High School". Retrieved September 23, 2017.
- "Ironwood High School". Retrieved October 5, 2017.
- Ironwood High School Yearbook 2007
- Ironwood High School Yearbook 2008
- Desert Palms
- Desert Valley
- Marshall Ranch
- Sahuaro Ranch
- Cruz, Danny. "Danny Cruz". MLSsoccer.com. Retrieved 2012-03-09.
- Ernster, Paul (December 2008). "Paul Ernster". nfl.com. Retrieved 2012-03-09.
- Ironwood on Facebook
- Ironwood on Twitter
- Ironwood High School website
- Ironwood High School IB Program website
- School profile at greatschools.net