Irreligion in Egypt
|Religion in Egypt|
|Religions in Egypt|
Irreligion in Egypt is uncommon among Egyptians, as Islam is the predominant faith. It is difficult to quantify the number of atheists or agnostics in Egypt, as they are not officially counted in the census of the country. In December 2014 Dar al-Ifta, a government-affiliated Islamic centre of education and jurisprudence, claimed that there are 866 atheists in Egypt, which amounts to 0.001% of the population. There is a great stigma attached to being an atheist in Egypt, so many Egyptian atheists communicate with each other via the internet. In a 2011 Pew Research poll of 1,798 Muslims in Egypt, 63% of those surveyed supported "the death penalty for people who leave the Muslim religion." However, no such punishment actually exists in the country.
- Religion in Egypt
- Secularism in Egypt
- Freedom of religion in Egypt
- Christianity in Egypt
- Islam in Egypt
- Demographics of Egypt
- "Leaving Islam in the age of Islamism". Daily News. Retrieved 2014-03-31.
- "How oppressive Islam triggers atheism". Hürriyet Daily News. Retrieved 2014-03-31.
- "Did Religious Extremism Drive 2 Million Egyptian Youth to Unbelief?". Truth Dig. Retrieved 2014-02-14.
- "No God-given right to atheism in Egypt". albawaba. Retrieved 2013-11-20.
- "Egypt's embattled atheists". Al Jazeera. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "A Christopher Hitchens dream: Atheism on the rise in Egypt". Salon. Retrieved 2013-10-28.
- "A generation of atheists". Daily News. Retrieved 2013-09-28.
- "Egypt's Atheists Want To Speak Their Mind In Post-Mubarak Era | All News Is Global |". Worldcrunch.com. 2012-10-31. Retrieved 2013-09-21.
- "Who is afraid of Egyptian atheists?". Al Arabiya. Retrieved 2013-11-20.
- "Controversial Egyptian film 'The Atheist' gets go ahead by censors". Al Arabiya. Retrieved 2012-07-10.
- Kingsley, Patrick (12 December 2014). "Egypt's atheists number 866 – precisely". Guardian News and Media Limited. Retrieved 25 December 2014.
- Halawi, Jailan (21-December 27, 2000). "Limits to expression". Al-Ahram Weekly. Check date values in:
- "The World's Muslims: Religion, Politics and Society" (PDF). Pew Research Center. 30 April 2013. Retrieved 20 February 2017.
- Egypt 2015 International Religious Freedom Report
|This article related to atheism is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Egypt-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|