Irresistible (The Corrs song)
|Single by The Corrs|
|from the album In Blue|
|B-side||"At Your Side"(Live Acoustic),
"Somebody for Someone"(Live Acoustic)
|Released||13 November 2000|
|Writer(s)||Robert John "Mutt" Lange
|Producer(s)||Robert John "Mutt" Lange|
|The Corrs singles chronology|
"Irresistible" is a song by Irish pop rock group The Corrs. It was released on 13 November 2000, as the second single taken from their third studio album In Blue (2000). "Irresistible" was written by The Corrs, and co-written and produced by famed music producer Robert John "Mutt" Lange.
"Irresistible" is a pop and pop rock song, with lyrics about desiring lifelong love. It received mixed reviews from music critics; some called it a pop hit, while others named it weak. The song was a moderate success, reaching the top-ten in Belgium and New Zealand, while reaching top-twenty in the UK, and top-forty in other countries.
Background and release
"Irresistible" was released as the second single from "In Blue" (2000), on 13 November 2000. The 7" single included the song and a "Live Acoustic" version of "At Your Side," while the CD-Maxi included both songs and a "Live Acoustic" version of "Somebody for Someone." Similar with the lead single "Breathless", "Irresistible" was also written by The Corrs (Andrea, Caroline, Sharon and Jim) and Robert "Mutt" Lange, who also produced the song.
"Irresistible" is a pop and pop rock song, starting with a startling opening as the guitar swirls around the room before dropping to the more standard stereo vocals with the rears for the backing tracks. It has lyrics of a woman desiring lifelong love, with sexual standards like "Don't want you for the weekend/ Don't want you for a day." In the chorus, they sing, "You're irresistible - natural, physical." The song was included on their compilation album, "Best of The Corrs" (2001).
The song received mixed reviews from music critics. David Beamish of DVDactive called the song, "An obvious candidate for a single as with the rest of the album." Jake C. Taylor of Sputnikmusic named it a "poppy hit." Jane Stevenson of Jam! considered "Irresistible," "one of the album's weaker songs." Chris Charles of BBC News wrote the song "looks like the Ivor Novello's on hold for another year, then."
Although "Irresistible" did not match the success of the previous single "Breathless", it did manage to peak inside the top twenty in some countries. The song reached its higher position on the Belgian charts (Flanders and Wallonia), peaking at number 3 on the first, and number 6 on the latter. In the UK, the song reached number 20 on the UK Singles Chart, becoming their seventh top-twenty single there. On the Irish Singles Chart, the song debuted and peaked at number 30. In France, the song managed to reach the top-forty, peaking at number 39, on 17 February 2001.
In New Zealand, the song managed to peak inside the top-ten. It debuted at number 44 on the RIANZ chart on 14 November 2000, but fell off the charts the following week. It re-entered at number 51, on 10 December 2000, and peaked at number 8, only on 28 January 2001. In Australia, the song debuted at number 39 on the ARIA Singles Chart, on 11 November 2000. On 17 December 2000, the song jumped to number 28, becoming its peak position. It left the charts at number 50, on 14 January 2001. However, the song re-entered at number 27, on 28 January 2001, becoming its peak position.
- "Breathless" (Album Version)
- "At Your Side" (Live Acoustic)
- "Somebody for Someone" (Non-album track)
|Australian ARIA Singles Chart||27|
|Belgium Singles Top 50 (Flanders)||3|
|Belgium Singles Top 50 (Wallonie)||6|
|Denmark Singles Chart||68|
|French Singles Chart||39|
|German Singles Chart||68|
|Irish Singles Chart||30|
|Netherlands Mega Single Top 100||79|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||8|
|Swedish Singles Chart||37|
|Swiss Singles Chart||47|
|UK Singles Chart||20|
- Australian Charts - The Corrs - Irresistible
- In Blue (inlay cover). The Corrs. Atlantic Records 143 Records. 2000. p. iTunes Digital Booklet.
- Beamish, Dave (26 August 2002). "Review: Corrs, The - In Blue (HK - DVD)". DVDactive. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- "The Corrs | In Blue | Album Review". Plugged In. Retrieved 11 May 2013.
- Charles, Chris (16 July 2000). "CD Review: The Corrs". BBC News. Retrieved 11 May 2013.
- "Irresistible - The Corrs". Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- Taylor, Jake C. (13 October 2008). "The Corrs - In Blue (album review)". Sputnikmusic. Retrieved 11 May 2013.
- Stevenson, Jane (23 July 2000). "Album Review: The Corrs - IN BLUE". Jam!. Retrieved 11 May 2013.
- Belgium Charts (Flanders) - The Corrs - Irresistible
- "Corrs | Artist | Official Charts". The Official Charts Company. Retrieved 11 May 2013.
- "Irish Music Charts Archive - TOP 50 Singles, Week Ending 2 November 2000". Chart Track. Retrieved 11 May 2013.
- French Charts - The Corrs - Irresistible
- New Zealand Charts - The Corrs - Irresistible
- Belgium Charts (Wallonie) - The Corrs - Irresistible
- Denmark Singles Charts - The Corrs - Irresistible
- German Charts
- Dutch Charts - The Corrs - Irresistible
- Swedish Charts - The Corrs - Irresistible
- Swiss Charts - The Corrs - Irresistible