This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Full name||Irvin Sherrod Dorfman|
|Country (sports)||United States|
|Born||September 3, 1924|
Brooklyn, New York City, USA
|Died||October 8, 2006 (aged 82)|
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
|Grand Slam Singles results|
|French Open||QF (1950)|
|Wimbledon||3R (1950, 1952)|
|US Open||3R (1947, 1953, 1956)|
|Grand Slam Doubles results|
|Wimbledon||2R (1950, 1952)|
|Grand Slam Mixed Doubles results|
Irvin "Irv" Sherrod Dorfman (September 3, 1924 – October 8, 2006) was an outstanding amateur American tennis player in the 1940s and 1950s. He was ranked No. 15 in singles in the United States in 1947, and No. 3 in doubles in the U.S. in 1948.
Early and personal life
He was born in Brooklyn, the son of Belle and Nat Dorfman, and was Jewish. During World War 2, he was in the US Navy. He was married to Eileen Merl Dorfman and Jane Randall, with whom he had a daughter, Andrea Dorfman. He had a younger sister, Marcia Katz. His grandparents were Jewish immigrants from Poland and Russia.
At the Cincinnati Masters, Dorfman reached the 1948 singles final, only to fall to Herbert "Buddy" Behrens in a match that lasted 64 games: 5–7, 9–11, 6–2, 8–6, 4–6. To this day, it is the longest final in games in the history of the Cincinnati tournament, which started in 1899 and is now the oldest tournament played in its original city in the United States.
- Obituary, 15 October 2006.
- Jewish Post 11 July 1952 — Hoosier State Chronicles: Indiana's Digital Historic Newspaper Program
- Jewish Post 1 April 1949 — Hoosier State Chronicles: Indiana's Digital Historic Newspaper Program
- Columbia Alumni News - Google Books
- Gonzales Sights Indoor Net Crown
- Day by Day in Jewish Sports History - Bob Wechsler - Google Books
- Dorfman, Irv : Jews In Sports @ Virtual Museum
- Head Tops Lewis for Tennis Title
- "Obituary: Irvin Sherrod Dorfman". The News & Observer. October 10, 2006.
|This American biographical article related to tennis is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|