Irving Leonard Finkel
Finkel in 2015
|Born||1951 (age 67–68)|
|Alma mater||University of Birmingham|
|Known for||Discovery of tablet with Great Flood narrative|
Irving Leonard Finkel (born 1951) is a British philologist and Assyriologist. He is currently the Assistant Keeper of Ancient Mesopotamian script, languages and cultures in the Department of the Middle East in the British Museum, where he specialises in cuneiform inscriptions on tablets of clay from ancient Mesopotamia.
Early life and education
Finkel was born in 1951. He earned a PhD in Assyriology from the University of Birmingham under the supervision of Wilfred G. Lambert with a dissertation on Babylonian exorcistic spells against demons.
Finkel spent three years as a Research Fellow at the University of Chicago Oriental Institute. In 1976 he returned to the UK, and he was appointed as Assistant Keeper in the Department of Western Asiatic Antiquities at the British Museum, where he was (and remains) responsible for curating, reading and translating the museum's collection of around 130,000 cuneiform tablets.
In 2014, Finkel's study of a cuneiform tablet that contained a Flood narrative similar to that of the story of Noah's Ark, described in his book The Ark Before Noah, was widely reported in the news media. The ark described in the tablet was circular, essentially a very large coracle or kuphar and made of rope on a wooden frame. The tablet included sufficient details of its dimensions and construction to enable a copy of the ark to be made at about 1/3 scale and successfully floated, as documented in a 2014 TV documentary Secrets of Noah's Ark that aired as an episode of PBS's NOVA series.
Finkel is an Honorary Member of the Institute of Archaeology and Antiquity of the University of Birmingham and a Council Member of the Anglo-Israel Archaeology Society.
Great Diary Project
Finkel founded the Great Diary Project, a project to preserve the diaries of ordinary people. In association with the Bishopsgate Institute, Finkel has helped to archive over 2,000 personal diaries. In 2014, the V&A Museum of Childhood held an exhibition of the diaries of children written between 1813 and 1996.
Finkel has written a number of works of fiction for children.
- Finkel, I.L. (2014). The Ark Before Noah: Decoding the Story of the Flood. Hodder & Stoughton. ISBN 978-1444757057.
- Finkel, I. L., ed. (2008). Ancient Board Games in Perspective: Papers from the 1990 British Museum colloquium with additional contributions. London: British Museum.
- Finkel, I.L.; Geller, M.J., eds. (2007). The Wellcome Conference on Babylonian Medicine. Styx.
- Finkel, I.L. "Report on the Sidon Cuneiform tablet". Archaeology & History in Lebanon. 24 (Autumn 2006): 114–20.
- Finkel, I.L. (2005). "Documents of the Physician and Magician". In Spar, I.; Lambert, W.G. (eds.). Cuneiform Inscriptions in the Metropolitan Museum. New York. pp. 155–76.
- Finkel, I.L. (2005). "Explanatory Commentary on a List of Materia Medica". In Spar, I.; Lambert, W.G. (eds.). Cuneiform Inscriptions in the Metropolitan Museum. New York. pp. 279–83.
- Finkel, I.L. (2003). "Pachisi in Arab Garb". Board Games Studies. 5: 65–78.
- Finkel, I.L.; Reade, J.E. (2002). "On some inscribed Babylonian alabastra". Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society. 12 (01): 31–46.
- Finkel, Irving (2012). Miss Barbellion's Garden. Kennedy & Boyd. ISBN 978-1-84921-071-3.
- Finkel, Irving (2010). Swizzle de Brax and the Blungaphone. Kennedy & Boyd. ISBN 978-1-84921-082-9.
- Finkel, Irving (2008). The Princess Who Wouldn't Come Home. Kennedy & Boyd. ISBN 978-1-904999-80-5.
- Finkel, Irving (2007). The Last Resort Library. Kennedy & Boyd. ISBN 978-1-904999-41-6.
- "Irving Finkel". British Museum. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "Real Drawings: Tablets of Clay and Afterwards". Retrieved 27 November 2018.
- Green, William (19 July 2008). "Big Game Hunter". Time. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- Scott, Danny (30 March 2014). "A Life in a Day: There's something special reading the blueprint of Noah's Ark". The Sunday Times. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- Holland, Tom (13 February 2014). "The Ark Before Noah: Decoding the Story of the Flood by Irving Finkel – review". The Guardian.
- Baden, Joel (28 January 2014). "Noah's Ark discovery raises flood of questions". CNN.
- "Secrets of Noah's Ark - Transcript". Nova. PBS. 7 October 2015. Retrieved 27 May 2019.
- "About the Great Diary Project". Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- Grant, Katie (7 May 2014). "The Great Diary Project: The survival of the permanent life archive". The Independent. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- Ivry, Benjamin (25 March 2014). "How Darren Aronofsky and 'Noah' Got The Ark Wrong". Jewish Daily Forward. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- Gore, Will (13 February 2014). "How the ark changed shape". The Catholic Herald. Retrieved 16 October 2017.