He held degrees from the Cleveland Institute of Music (where he studied violin, graduating with a B.M. in 1939), the Juilliard School, Northwestern University (master's degree), and Columbia University (doctorate). He studied with Henry Cowell (at Columbia University), Gunther Schuller (at Tanglewood), Vittorio Giannini (at Juilliard), and Paul Creston (at Columbia University). His music was recorded on the Centaur, CRS, Opus One, and Living Artist Recordings labels.
His last residence was in Bellmore, New York.
- Duets for Violin and Viola
- Fantasie Concertante, string orchestra
- Profiles, clarinet, violin and cello
- Sonata for Flute and Piano
- String Quartet no. 1
- String Quartet no. 2
- String Quartet no. 3
- String Quartet no. 4
- String Quartet no. 5
- Symphony no. 1
- Symphony no. 2
- The Visions of Isaiah, mixed choir and orchestra