|Location||16017 Avenida Padilla, Irwindale|
3 charging stations
|Bicycle facilities||14 bike rack spaces
24 bike lockers
|Rebuilt||March 5, 2016|
Irwindale is an at-grade light rail station in the Los Angeles County Metro Rail system. It is located near the intersection of Irwindale Street and Avenida Padilla in Irwindale, California. This station is served by the Metro Gold Line.
|Southbound||← Gold Line toward Atlantic (Duarte/City of Hope)|
|Northbound||→ Gold Line toward APU/Citrus College (Azusa Downtown) →|
The original train track through Irwindale were built by the Los Angeles and San Gabriel Valley Railroad. The Gold line uses the old right of way of the Los Angeles and San Gabriel Valley Railroad who built the first train tracks through Irwindale in 1887. The Los Angeles and San Gabriel Valley Railroad was founded in 1883, by James F. Crank with the goal of bringing a rail line to San Gabriel Valley from downtown Los Angeles. Los Angeles and San Gabriel Valley Railroad was sold on May 20, 1887 into the California Central Railway. In 1889 the rail line was consolidated into Southern California Railway Company. On Jan. 17, 1906 Southern California Railway was sold to the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway and called the Pasadena Subdivision. Amtrak-Santa Fe ran the Southwest Chief and Desert Wind over this line through Irwindale, but relocated the Desert Wind to the Fullerton Line in 1986. The Santa Fe line served the San Gabriel Valley until 1994, when the 1994 Northridge earthquake weakened the bridge in Arcadia and the track was closed till the Gold line was built. The rail line crosses the San Gabriel River on a long girder bridge, then passes through the Santa Fe Dam Recreation Area (how it received its name). The rail line intersected the north end of the former SP Azusa Industrial Track at Irwindale (MP 118.2). Irwindale had a 6,165 foot rail siding that passed the Miller Brewing Company's Irwindale brewery. From there the tracks continued and crossed beneath Irwindale Avenue.
- Los Angeles County Metro Rail
- Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
- Los Angeles Metro Rail rolling stock
- "Gold Line". Metro (LACMTA). Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- Foothillextension.org, City of Irwindale
- foothillextension.org, Irwindale station
- "Art of the Journey, The Foothill Gold Line" (PDF). Foothill Gold Line Construction Authority. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- metro.net, Foothill extension
- Nelson, Laura J. (March 5, 2016). "Metro Gold Line extension tests San Gabriel Valley's support for transit". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-03-01. Retrieved 2016-02-18.
- KCET, Exploring the Metro Gold Line's Foothill Extension Phase 2A, by Eric Brightwell, February 27, 2013
- RailGiants Train Museum located inside the Los Angeles County Fairgrounds
- Santa Fe Pasadena line