|Ірина Дмитрівна Фаріон|
Farion in December 2009
|People's Deputy of Ukraine|
12 December 2012 – 27 November 2014
|Born||Iryna Dmytrivna Farion
April 29, 1964
Lviv, Ukrainian SSR, Soviet Union
|Political party||All-Ukrainian Union "Svoboda"|
|Alma mater||Lviv University|
|Occupation||docent, politician, philologist|
|Awards||Oleksa Hirnyk Prize
Borys Hrinchenko Prize
Iryna Farion (Ukrainian: Ірина Дмитрівна Фаріон, Iryna Dmytrivna Farion) is a Ukrainian linguist and politician. She is a Candidate of Philological Sciences and a docent of the Department of Ukrainian Language at the Lviv Polytechnic (Institute of Humanitarian and Social Sciences).
Farion graduated from the Philology School of the Lviv University in 1987 with honors, while her name was entered in the book "Toiling glory of University". During the college years she was a member of a Communist Party of the Soviet Union (the only student being in the Communist Party).
In 1996 she defended her candidate dissertation. Since 2006 Farion became politically active balloting for People's Deputy of Ukraine mandate from the All-Ukrainian Union "Svoboda", of which she was a member since 2005. In 2006 Farion also successfully balloted to the regional council, while in 2010 she won in a majoritarian electoral district of Lviv.
Among her scientific works are four monographs and 200 articles. During 1998–2004 Farion headed language commission of Prosvita. Since 1998 she initiated and organized the annual competition among students "Language is a foundation of your life". In 2004 Farion became a laureate of Oleksa Hirnyk Prize (Oleksa Hirnyk). Farion publicly advocates the memory of Stepan Bandera, unity of the Ukrainian West and East based on a statist thinking.
Due to her political views Farion became infamous among the Russian-speaking population for her anti-Russian sentiments. The most fierce opponent of hers is a People's Deputy of Ukraine Vadym Kolesnichenko. Farion is also strongly against the Moscow Patriarchate, particularly within Ukraine.
The biggest resonance occurred on February 19, 2010 when as part of the action "Affirm the state language!" (on the International Mother Language Day) Farion held a class devoted to the problem of national identity in the Kindergarten #67 (Lviv). During the classes in sharp form she condemned Russification of Ukrainian names. The same day unknown people posted online video of Farion on YouTube. The event became publicized in mass media and has caused mixed reviews. In particular, a People's Deputy of Ukraine from the Party of Regions Vadym Kolesnichenko appealed to the Prosecutor General of Ukraine to bring Iryna Farion criminally liable under Article 161 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine (concerning discrimination against children based on language and ethnicity), while the Ukrainian People's Party condemned the speech of Farion as a provocation against the Ukrainian language. On the other hand, the head of the party "Svoboda" Oleh Tyahnybok defended his colleague.
In summer 2012 several Russian-speaking mass media accused Farion that she associates the Russian language with faeces, based on her interview at local media. In the interview Farion clearly used a word for threshing floor, while the mass media interpreted it as homonym to it, yet completely different in meaning. Also in another case an argument arose between her and a driver of Lviv public transportation (route #54). When Farion asked the driver to turn off the music he refused, when she reminded the driver that there is a prohibition of the local authorities for musical accompaniment in public transportation the latter refused stating that does not care. Some sources state that the driver accused Farion of excessive love for the Ukrainian language. Later the driver was fired, while the Russian speaking mass media was pointing also to the fact that the music was in Russian language.
During the interview, April 8, 2014 in the Verkhovna Rada (Parliament), she said that the arrest in Kharkov is a soft penalty, all Russian should be killed, because the war between Russia and Ukraine since 1654 
- Oleksa Hirnyk Prize (2004)
- Borys Hrinchenko Prize (2008)
- Diploma of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Kyivan Patriarchate (2010) for book "Father Markiyan Shashkevych - the Ukrainian linguist"
- Ukrainian family names of the Carpathian Lviv Region at the end of 18th – beginning of 19th centuries (with etymological dictionary). National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Institute of folklore studies. "Litopys". Lviv, 2001.
- Antroponymy system of the Upper Dniester region at the end of 18th – beginning of 19th centuries (family names). Franko State University. Lviv, 1996.
- You Scratch My Back, and I’ll Scratch Yours, The Ukrainian Week (26 September 2012)
- CEC registers 357 newly elected deputies of 422, National Radio Company of Ukraine (25 November 2014)
Parliament to form leadership and coalition on November 27, UNIAN (26 November 2014)
- Фарион - звериное лицо «нациков» по заданию КПСС
- Ірина Фаріон про Бандеру (Iryna Farion about Bandera) svoboda.org.ua at YouTube. October 8, 2009
- (Ukrainian) Список депутатів нової Верховнcї Ради, Ukrayinska Pravda (11 November 2012)
- "Single-mandate district No.116". Central Election Commission of Ukraine. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- Фаріон ставить дитсадок на вуха (Farion puts the Kindergarten upside down). vgolos.com.ua at YouTube. February 19, 2010.
- Фаріон рулить у дитячому садочку (Farion rules in kindergarten). vgolos.com.ua at YouTube. February 19, 2010.
- Заява прес-служби ВО "Свобода" щодо мовної істерії українофобів та плазування псевдопатріотів (Statement by the Press Service of "Svoboda" on linguistic Ukrainophobes hysteria and adulation pseudo-patriots). Tyahnybok website. February 24, 2010
- Во Львове уволили водителя маршрутки, который отказался выключить русскую музыку по требованию Фарион (In Lviv fired the taxi driver who refused to turn off the Russian music on the request of Farion). Korrespondent.net. June 27, 2012
- Генпрокуратуру Украины привлекли к защите русского языка (Prosecutor General of Ukraine was petitioned for protection of the Russian language). Lenta.ru. June 20, 2012.
- Регионалы обратились в Генпрокуратуру для оценки высказываний оппозиции по поводу русского языка (Regionals appealed to the Prosecutor General to assess the statements of opposition on the Russian language). Korrespondent.net. June 19, 2012.
- "Плата за любов до ката. Ірина Фаріон". farion.info. Retrieved 2014-09-14.
- "Ірина Фаріон - Браво, Одеса. Перлина українського Духу.... | Facebook". facebook.com. Retrieved 2014-09-14.
- Book profile in the Maksymovych Science Library
- Information in the Vernadsky National Library
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Iryna Farion.|