Is This Love (Whitesnake song)
|"Is This Love"|
Artwork for UK and European releases
|Single by Whitesnake|
|from the album Whitesnake|
"Standing in the Shadow"|
"Need Your Love So Bad"
|Whitesnake singles chronology|
The single was a hit for Whitesnake, reaching number nine in the UK Singles Chart and number two in the US singles chart (for a single week in December 1987), making it their second-biggest US hit after "Here I Go Again", which hit number one. The single was reissued in 1994 to promote Whitesnake's Greatest Hits. This version reached number 25 on the UK Singles Chart.
"Is This Love" has been a mainstay in Whitesnake's live shows since 1987. As such, it is featured on several of their live albums, including Live: In the Shadow of the Blues (2006) and Live at Donington 1990 (2011). John Sykes played it live in 2004 (Bad Boy Live!).
Background and writing
The song was written by vocalist David Coverdale and guitarist John Sykes during the album's early writing process (which took place in the south of France), but it was long rumoured that the song had originally been written for Tina Turner. Coverdale confirmed these rumours in the booklet of Whitesnake's 20th anniversary edition, by saying:
Before I'd left [for the south of France] a friend at EMI had asked me for any ideas that would work for Tina Turner. So that was where the original idea for "Is This Love" came from.
A music video was also made, featuring Coverdale's then-girlfriend actress Tawny Kitaen. The music video depicts the band playing the song on a misty stage, intercut with scenes of Coverdale singing, Kitaen dancing and the two of them together. Due to Coverdale firing the other members of the band before the album was released, he is the only Whitesnake member present on both the recording and in the music video; this was the case for all music videos released for songs from the 1987 album (except for "Here I Go Again", Vandenberg performed the guitar solo on the recording and later appeared in the music video as well).
All songs written by David Coverdale and John Sykes, except where noted.
UK (EMI) single
- "Is This Love" – 4:48
- "Standing in the Shadow" – 3:53 (Coverdale)*
- "Need Your Love So Bad" – 3:21 (Little Willie John)*
US (Geffen) single
- "Is This Love" – 4:48
- "Bad Boys" – 4:09
*The B-sides that appeared on EMI editions of the single were new 1987 re-recordings of earlier tracks by the band, although they were not advertised as such on the packaging. Both re-recorded versions would later feature on the 1987 Versions EP.
- David Coverdale – lead vocals
- John Sykes – guitar, backing vocals
- Neil Murray – bass guitar
- Aynsley Dunbar – drums
- Don Airey – keyboards
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||12|
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||11|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||31|
|Spain (Los 40 Principales)||1|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||9|
|US Billboard Hot 100||2|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||38|
|US Mainstream Rock (Billboard)||13|
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Whitesnake Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Whitesnake | full Official Chart history". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Whitesnake". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Whitesnake – Is This Love" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Whitesnake Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Whitesnake Chart History (Mainstream Rock)". Billboard. Retrieved 27 June 2018.