Is the Order a Rabbit?
|Is the Order a Rabbit?|
Cover of Is the Order a Rabbit? volume 1 by Hōbunsha featuring the characters Cocoa (center), Rize (left), Chino (right), and Tippy (center right)
(Gochūmon wa Usagi Desu ka?)
|Genre||Comedy, slice of life|
|Magazine||Manga Time Kirara Max|
|Original run||March 2011 – present|
|Anime television series|
|Is the Order a Rabbit? (Season 1)|
Is the Order a Rabbit?? (Season 2)
Is the Order a Rabbit? BLOOM (Season 3)
|Directed by||Hiroyuki Hashimoto|
|Written by||Kazuyuki Fudeyasu|
|Music by||Ruka Kawada|
|Original network||Tokyo MX, Sun TV, KBS, TV Aichi, AT-X, BS11|
|Original run||April 10, 2014 – present|
|Is the Order a Rabbit?? 〜Dear My Sister〜|
|Directed by||Hiroyuki Hashimoto|
|Music by||Ruka Kawada|
|Released||November 11, 2017|
|Original video animation|
|Is the Order a Rabbit?? ~Sing For You~|
|Directed by||Hiroyuki Hashimoto|
|Written by||Kazuyuki Fudeyasu|
|Music by||Ruka Kawada|
|Released||September 26, 2019|
|Is the order a rabbit?? Wonderful Party!|
|Released||March 3, 2016|
Is the Order a Rabbit? (Japanese: ご注文はうさぎですか?, Hepburn: Gochūmon wa Usagi Desu ka?), often abbreviated as GochiUsa (ごちうさ), is a Japanese four-panel manga series written and illustrated by Koi. The series has been serialized in Hōbunsha's Manga Time Kirara Max magazine since March 2011 and the chapters collected into eight tankōbon volumes as of September 2019. An anime television series adaptation animated by White Fox aired in Japan between April and June 2014. A second season by White Fox and Kinema Citrus aired in Japan between October and December 2015. production dóA animated two OVA films released on November 2017 and September 2019. A third anime season by Encourage Films is set to premiere in October 2020.
Cocoa Hoto enters the cafe Rabbit House, assuming there are rabbits to be cuddled. What Cocoa actually finds is her high school boarding house, staffed by the owner's daughter, Chino Kafū, a small, precocious, and somewhat shy girl with an angora rabbit on her head. She quickly befriends Chino with the full intention of becoming like her older sister, much to Chino's annoyance. From there she will experience her new life and befriend many others, including the military-influenced, yet feminine Rize Tedeza, the playful Chiya Ujimatsu who goes at her own pace, and the impoverished Syaro Kirima who commands an air of nobility and admiration despite her background. Slowly, through slices of life, often comedic, Cocoa becomes irreplaceable in her new friends' lives, with Chino at the forefront.
Main characters are named after drinks.
- Cocoa Hoto (保登 心愛, Hoto Kokoa, usually written as ココア)
- Voiced by: Ayane Sakura
- A 15 (first year; 16 second year) year old girl with orange mid-long hair, purple eyes and a hair accessory made by half of a sakura. She is a bubbly optimistic girl who claims to be able to make friends in 3 seconds, albeit she is often careless and has no sense of direction. She moved into the town to study at a high school, and stays in the Kafū residence; she began helping out at the Rabbit House to pay for her accommodation. Although she cannot distinguish the taste of coffee, she is able to work as a waitress. Cocoa is the youngest of four siblings and admires her older sister Mocha, who gave Cocoa her hair accessory (to which Mocha has the other half of). She treats Chino like a little sister so that Chino has an older sister figure to look up to, just as Cocoa does Mocha. Due to all of the people she's met in her life, Cocoa dreams of becoming an international barista lawyer with her own bakery, and even wants to be a novelist-part time (not to mention her younger self wanted to be a magician). Named after hot cocoa.
- Chino Kafu (香風 智乃, Kafū Chino, usually written as チノ)
- Voiced by: Inori Minase
- A 13 (second year; 14 third year) year old girl with long and straight blue hair, blue eyes, and two hair accessories on two sides in the shape of a cross. She is the granddaughter of the Rabbit House's founder. She is a quiet and soft-spoken girl and slowly warms up to Cocoa. She finds it challenging to be less polite and more casual due to her growing up with mostly older people. Along with her father, she is one of the only people who knows about the secret concerning Tippy and her grandfather. Her late mother created the Rabbit House's outfits because she one day wanted Chino to work there with her friends when she grew up. Cocoa coming into her life had a significant impact on her, leading to her adopting a more outgoing demeanor. Named after cappuccino.
- Rize Tedeza (天々座 理世, Tedeza Rize, usually written as リゼ)
- Voiced by: Risa Taneda
- A 16 (second year; 17 third year) year old girl with purple hair that she often makes into bunches. A part-timer at the Rabbit House, she is the daughter of a wealthy former soldier, and thus likes army-related things and has a very disciplined, military-like personality, even going so far as to carry a model Glock and a combat knife. Despite this, she is still very kind and feminine. She excels in both academics and sport that she can provide help to different clubs. She is in the same school as Syaro and is her upperclassman. Named after thé des alizés.
- Tippy (ティッピー, Tippī)
- Voiced by: Motomu Kiyokawa
- A female angora rabbit and the Rabbit House's mascot. She typically sits atop Chino's head while inside the Rabbit House. When not around Cocoa and the others, she speaks in a manly voice and helps Chino's father out at the bar. It is later revealed that through some unknown circumstances (though it is implied Cocoa was somehow involved), Tippy is possessed by the spirit of Chino's grandfather, the former owner of Rabbit House. Tippy would often speak in front of others, with Chino passing the voice off as her ventriloquism. Named after Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe.
- Takahiro Kafū (香風 タカヒロ, Kafū Takahiro)
- Voiced by: Show Hayami
- Chino's father, who runs the bar during the night alongside Tippy. He is a friend of Rize's father, as the two of them were former soldiers. He allows Cocoa to stay in his house, as well as Mocha, during their employment at Rabbit House. He is the current owner of Rabbit House, which he runs more successfully than Chino's grandfather, to Tippy's irritation.
- Saki Kafu (香風咲, Kafu Saki)
- Voiced by: Nana Mizuki
- Deceased/dead. She had long and straight silver hair and blue eyes, and was Chino's late mother and Takahiro's late wife. She is a friend of Cocoa's mother during high school, and the creator of the Rabbit House's uniform.
Ama Usa An (甘兎庵)
- Chiya Ujimatsu (宇治松 千夜, Ujimatsu Chiya, usually written as 千夜)
- Voiced by: Satomi Satō
- Syaro's old friend and neighbor, Cocoa's classmate and friend at high school. Her family runs a coffee shop named Ama Usa An (甘兎庵), complete with a rabbit mascot named Anko. Her grandmother was once the main business rival of Chino's grandfather, but both granddaughters do not intend to continue that rivalry. She is rather playful at times, often in a nonchalant manner. She is physically weak, and any tedious physical activity tires her out. She is very good at dodging things, however. She hopes to work with Syaro despite being hurt when Syaro once said she didn't intend to work in Ama Usa An. Named after Uji matcha.
- Chiya's Grandma (千夜の祖母, Chiya no Sobo)
- Voiced by: Miyuki Ichijou
- Owner of Ama Usa An; she used to have a hostile relationship with Chino's grandpa and, despite their alleged rivalry, she did not take him seriously.
Fleur de Lapin
- Syaro Kirima (桐間 紗路, Kirima Sharo, usually written as シャロ)
- Voiced by: Maaya Uchida
- Chiya's childhood friend who lives next door to the Ama Usa An. She attends the same school as Rize as a scholarship student, but is poor. Syaro learned to be elegant due to her status as a scholarship student despite being from a poor background. She learned to fit in by staying up to date on fashion and faking smiles. She dramatically admires Rize as a person and as her upperclassman and has a crush on her. She has a wild grey rabbit named "Wild Geese" (ワイルドギース, Wairudo Gīsu). Syaro reluctantly allowed the rabbit to stay in her house under the condition that it finds its own food. She is very hardworking and performs well in academics as she wants to get out of poverty. Named after Kilimanjaro coffee.
Other town residents
- Maya Jōga (条河 麻耶, Jōga Maya, usually written as マヤ)
- Voiced by: Sora Tokui
- Chino's classmate and friend in middle school. She's very energetic and tomboyish, claiming she will only stay put when she is dead. Maya also harbors admiration for Rize, partly due to her military-like attitude. Despite her behavior and attitude, she does surprisingly well academically. Named after Jogmaya Pearls.
- Megumi Natsu (奈津 恵, Natsu Megumi, usually written as メグ)
- Voiced by: Rie Murakawa
- Chino's classmate and friend in middle school, known as "Megu" (メグ, Megu) for short. Her mother is a ballet teacher, so Megu is trained in ballet. Mature, honest, feminine, and trusting, she is rather pure and unable to detect when someone lies to her. She can guess what Maya is thinking by looking into her eyes. Named after Nutmeg.
- Midori Aoyama (青山 翠, Aoyama Midori)
- Voiced by: Saori Hayami
- A female novelist who goes under the pen name of Aoyama Blue Mountain (青山 ブルーマウンテン, Aoyama Burū Maunten). She admired Chino's grandfather (who she affectionately calls "Master" (マスター, Masutā)) and always asked his opinion about her stories. She briefly stopped writing books after she lost a pen that was given to her by Chino's grandfather. Chino gave her a temporary job in the Rabbit House, which she would still occasionally work at after finding her pen. Named after Blue Mountain Coffee.
- Rin Mate (真手 凛, Mate Rin)
- Voiced by: Juri Kimura
- Midori's friend and editor. Named after Mandheling coffee.
- Megu's mother (メグの母, Megu no haha)
- Voiced by: Kikuko Inoue
- A ballet teacher who discovered the potential of Rize and Syaro and attempted to convince them to be her student.
- Yura Karede (狩手結良, Karede Yura)
- Voiced by: Saori Ōnishi
- Rize's classmate and old friend and former chairmen of the Blowgun Club who is studying at the same university as Rize, whom she previously worked for as a maid. Named after Calendula.
- Mocha Hoto (保登 モカ, Hoto Moka)
- Voiced by: Ai Kayano
- Cocoa's older sister. She is very similar to Cocoa, besides the fact that Mocha is known for being a far more dependable older sister, and for being very good at cuddling people. She dotes on Cocoa and become depressed if Cocoa ignores her. Named after Caffè mocha.
- Cocoa's mother (ココアの母, Cocoa no haha)
- Voiced by: Yūko Minaguchi
- High school classmate of Chino's mother.
- Natsume Jinja (神沙夏明, Jinja Natsume)
- One of the twins that Megu and Maya encountered in the train. Named after ginger and nutmeg tea.
- Eru Jinja (神沙映月, Jinja Eru)
- Long blonde hair with red eyes. One of the twins that Megu and Maya encountered in the train. Named after ginger ale.
- Fuyu Fuiba (風衣葉冬優, Fuiba Fuyu)
- A girl with short hair and dark blue eyes who is good at both ventriloquism and chess. Named after Feverfew.
- Cocoa's father (ココアの父, Cocoa no chichi)
- Works in the town as a professor of university.
- Chidori Ujimatsu (宇治松 千鳥, Ujimatsu Chidori)
- Chiya's mother who travels around as a buyer.
- Syaro's mother (シャロの母, Sharo no haha)
- She runs a pottery workshop with her husband.
- Cocoa and Mocha's elder brothers (ココアの兄, Cocoa no ani)
- Voiced by: Kaoru Takasugi, Sora Tokui
- They are working in the city to be a lawyer and scientist, respectively.
Books and publications
|1||February 27, 2012||978-4-8322-4119-0|
|2||February 27, 2013||978-4-8322-4269-2|
|3||March 27, 2014||978-4-8322-4420-7|
|4||September 26, 2015||978-4-8322-4617-1|
|5||August 27, 2016||978-4-8322-4734-5|
|6||November 9, 2017||978-4-8322-4894-6|
|7||November 7, 2018||978-4-8322-4990-5|
|8||September 27, 2019||978-4-8322-7119-7|
|1||Café du Lapin||May 27, 2014||ISBN 978-4-8322-4448-1|
TV Anime Official Guide Book
|1||Memorial Blend||September 27, 2014||ISBN 978-4-8322-4486-3|
|2||Miracle Blend||March 26, 2016||ISBN 978-4-8322-4683-6|
|Is the Order a Rabbit? Anthology Comic 1 (ご注文はうさぎですか？ アンソロジーコミック 1)||April 26, 2014||ISBN 978-4-8322-4436-8|
|Is the Order a Rabbit? Anthology Comic 2 (ご注文はうさぎですか？ アンソロジーコミック 2)||September 26, 2015||ISBN 978-4-8322-4618-8|
|Is the Order a Rabbit? Chimame-tai Anthology 〜Happy Diary!〜 (ご注文はうさぎですか？ チマメ隊 アンソロジー 〜Happy Diary!〜)||November 25, 2016||ISBN 978-4-8322-4768-0|
|Is the Order a Rabbit? Rabbit House Anthology ~coffee break~ (ご注文はうさぎですか？ ラビットハウスアンソロジー 〜coffee break〜)||November 9, 2017||ISBN 978-4-8322-4894-6|
Anime television series
An anime television series adaptation animated by White Fox aired in Japan between April 10 and June 26, 2014, and simulcast by Crunchyroll. The opening theme is "Daydream Café." by Petit Rabbit's (Ayane Sakura, Inori Minase, Risa Taneda, Satomi Satō, and Maaya Uchida), and the ending theme is "Poppin' Jump♪" (ぽっぴんジャンプ♪, Poppin Janpu) by Chimame-tai (Minase, Sora Tokui, and Rie Murakawa). The ending theme for episode 12 is "Nichijou Decoration" (日常デコレーション, Nichijō Dekorēshon, lit. "Everyday Decoration") by Petit Rabbit's. Sentai Filmworks licensed the series for the North America market, while Muse Communication licensed the series for Southeast Asia market.
A second season titled Is the Order a Rabbit?? animated by White Fox and Kinema Citrus was announced in the March 2015 issue of Gakken's Megami Magazine, and aired in Japan between October 10 and December 26, 2015. The opening theme is "No Poi!" (ノーポイッ！, Nōpoi!) by Petit Rabbit's and the ending theme for episode 1 to 10 is "Tokimeki Poporon♪" (ときめきポポロン♪) by Chimame-tai. For episode 12, the ending theme is Nantonaku Mirai (なんとなくミライ) by Petit Rabbit's.
An OVA film, Is the Order a Rabbit?? ~Dear My Sister~, was announced on May 2016, and animated by production dóA. The film was screened in 40 movie theaters across Japan on November 11, 2017, and later released on home video on May 30, 2018.
A second OVA, Is the Order a Rabbit?? ~Sing For You~, was released on September 26, 2019. The OVA features the return of scriptwriter Kazuyuki Fudeyasu, director Hiroyuki Hashimoto, and animation studio production dóA.
A third season titled Is the Order a Rabbit? BLOOM animated by Encourage Films is set to air in Japan in October 10, 2020, with the cast and staff reprising their roles. The opening theme is "Tenkū Cafeteria" (天空カフェテリア) by Petit Rabbit's while the ending theme is "Nakayoshi! Maru! Nakayoshi!" (なかよし！○！なかよし！) by Chimame-tai.
Appearances in other media
Characters and songs from Is the Order a Rabbit? appear alongside other anime characters in the rhythm game, Miracle Girls Festival, developed by Sega for the PlayStation Vita. A visual novel developed by 5pb., titled Is the Order a Rabbit?? Wonderful party! (ご注文はうさぎですか？？ Wonderful party!), was released for the PlayStation Vita in Japan on March 3, 2016. Characters in the series also appeared in the mobile game Kirara Fantasia.
- Foronda, Anthony (March 23, 2014). "Anime Spotlight Spring 2014". Anime News Network. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- "Is the order a rabbit?? Sequel Anime's Promo Previews Character Song, New Character". Anime News Network. September 10, 2015. Retrieved November 13, 2016.
- ご注文はうさぎですか? (in Japanese). Hōbunsha. Retrieved September 23, 2015.
- "Gochūmon wa Usagi Desu ka? 4-Panel Manga Gets Anime by White Fox". Anime News Network. November 16, 2013. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "Crunchyroll Adds Is the Order a Rabbit?". Anime News Network. April 9, 2014. Retrieved April 28, 2014.
- "Gochūmon wa Usagi Desu ka? Anime's Promo Streamed". Anime News Network. March 23, 2014. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- "Sentai Filmworks Licenses Is the Order a Rabbit?". Anime News Network. April 21, 2014. Retrieved April 28, 2014.
- Pineda, Rafael Antonio (September 15, 2020). "Muse Asia Licenses Talentless Nana, Is the order a rabbit? BLOOM Anime". Anime News Network. Retrieved September 15, 2020.
- "Is the order a rabbit? Anime Gets 2nd Season". Anime News Network. January 26, 2015. Retrieved October 6, 2015.
- "Is the Order a Rabbit? Season 2 Reveals Title, October Launch, New Character". Anime News Network. June 28, 2015. Retrieved June 28, 2015.
- "Crunchyroll to Stream 2nd Seasons of Testament of Sister New Devil, Is the order a rabbit??". Anime News Network.
- "Is the Order a Rabbit?? Anime Gets New Special Episode". Anime News Network. May 8, 2016. Archived from the original on October 31, 2016.
- "Is the Order a Rabbit?? Anime's Special Episode Previewed in Video". Anime News Network. September 1, 2017.
- Crystalyn Hodgkins (March 23, 2019). "'Is the order a rabbit?? Sing For You' OVA's Promo Video Streamed". AnimeNewsNetwork. Retrieved March 24, 2019.
- "'Is the order a rabbit?? Sing For You' OVA Ships on September 26". Anime News Network. May 16, 2019. Retrieved May 16, 2019.
- "Is the order a rabbit? Anime Gets New OVA in 2019, 3rd Season in 2020". Anime News Network. September 16, 2018. Retrieved September 16, 2018.
- "Is the order a rabbit? Anime Season 3 Reveals Staff, Title, October TV Premiere (Updated)". Anime News Network. March 18, 2020. Retrieved March 19, 2020.
- "Is the order a rabbit? Anime Season 3 Premieres on October 10". Anime News Network. August 18, 2020. Retrieved August 18, 2020.
- "Is the order a rabbit? BLOOM Anime Reveals Visual, Theme Songs". Anime News Network. July 17, 2020. Retrieved July 17, 2020.
- "Is the Order a Rabbit? Wonderful Party! announced for PS Vita". Gematsu.
- "『きらファン』に『ごちうさ』『アニマエール！』が参戦決定。ココアたちとじゃんけんできる特設サイト登場". Dengeki Online (in Japanese). Kadokawa Corporation. October 31, 2018. Retrieved December 4, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Is the Order a Rabbit?.|