Isaías being presented by Adelaide United
|Full name||Isaías Sánchez Cortés|
|Date of birth||9 February 1987|
|Place of birth||Sabadell, Spain|
|Height||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)|
|2011–2013||→ Ponferradina (loan)||61||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 3 May 2018|
Isaías Sánchez Cortés (Spanish pronunciation: [isaˈi.as ˈsantʃeθ koɾˈtes]; born 9 February 1987), known simply as Isaías, is a Spanish footballer who plays for Australian club Adelaide United FC as a midfielder.
Early years / Espanyol
Born in Sabadell, Barcelona, Catalonia, Isaías was a CF Badalona youth graduate, and started playing professionally with that club in Segunda División B. In 2010 he signed for RCD Espanyol, but spent the majority of his first year with the reserves in Tercera División.
On 10 April 2011, Isaías made his first-team and La Liga debut, playing the last 22 minutes of a 0–0 away draw against Hércules CF. He spent the following two seasons on loan to SD Ponferradina, contributing with 27 games and one goal in his second to help the side return to Segunda División.
Isaías scored his first goal for the club on 24 January 2015, netting from 25 meters in a 7–0 win over the Newcastle Jets FC. He repeated the feat in the 2016 A-League Grand Final in an eventual 3–1 defeat of Western Sydney Wanderers FC, through a 34th-minute free kick.
Playing as a defensive midfielder for Adelaide United, Isaías can switch between defensive and offensive positions, and also drops into defence, allowing the full-backs to push forward. He is known for his ability to control the pace and intensity of the game, keep possession of the ball and launch attacks when his team plays from defence to attack.
- As of 9 May 2016
|Badalona||2006–07||Segunda División B||12||0||4||0||—||16||0|
|2007–08||Segunda División B||18||0||1||0||—||19||0|
|2008–09||Segunda División B||32||0||—||—||32||0|
|2009–10||Segunda División B||22||0||—||—||22||0|
|Ponferradina (loan)||2011–12||Segunda División B||33||1||4||0||6[a]||0||37||1|
- Appearance in Promotion playoff
- Hercules falter on home soil; ESPN Soccernet, 10 April 2011
- "Llega Roberto Santamaría y renueva Isaías" [Roberto Santamaría arrives and Isaías renews] (in Spanish). La Crónica de León. 6 July 2012. Archived from the original on 29 October 2013. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- "Reds Spanish Armada about to arrive". Football Federation Australia. 8 July 2013. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- "Adelaide United's Mr Fix-it, Isaias Sanchez, has won the Reds' club champion award for his brilliant debut season". The Advertiser. 23 April 2014. Retrieved 2 December 2014.
- "Adelaide United thrash Newcastle Jets 7–0 in one-sided A-League affair". ABC. 24 January 2015. Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- "A-League grand final 2016: Adelaide United beat Western Sydney Wanderers to claim first title". The Sydney Morning Herald. 1 May 2016. Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- Migliaccio, Val (23 September 2017). "Isaias is officially the heart and soul of Adelaide United". The Advertiser. Retrieved 23 September 2017.
- Reds are building on a theme; Perth Now, 7 October 2013
- Isaias Sanchez returns from suspension to provide options for Adelaide United; News.com, 25 October 2013
- A-League tactical round-up: how injuries deplete systems; The Guardian, 28 October 2013
- Adelaide United recruit Isaias Sanchez sets his sights on early Glory; Herald Sun, 12 October 2013
- A-League's new kids on the block; Black Page Lead, 30 September 2013
- Adelaide United – Season preview; Leopold Method, 7 October 2013
- Sanchez happy to fly under the radar; Football Federation Australia, 29 July 2013
- Adelaide United's Isaias Sanchez has the class and flair to keep fans coming back; The Daily Telegraph, 26 October 2013
- "Isaías Sánchez: Isaías Sánchez Cortés". BDFutbol. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- "Isaías". Soccerway. Retrieved 29 March 2015.