Isa Chandra Moskowitz
Isa Chandra Moskowitz
Isa Chandra Moskowitz is an American vegan chef, cookbook author, former host of the vegan community access cooking show Post Punk Kitchen, and restaurateur. Her first restaurant, Modern Love, opened in Omaha in 2014 and a second location opened in Brooklyn in 2016.
Raised in Brooklyn, New York, and having dropped out of The High School of Music & Art, where she majored in fine art, Moskowitz found herself drawn toward the punk rock scene of the Lower East Side of Manhattan in the late 1980s, embracing first a vegetarian diet, then veganism. She also volunteered with Food Not Bombs. an anarchist organization that provides free vegan meals to the homeless and needy.
The inspiration to create her own cooking show came while watching the Food Network and wondering to herself why there were no vegan shows. According to Moskowitz, the show used the title The Post Punk Kitchen to signify the feeling of being "older and facing the conundrum of growing up and making compromises that their eighteen-year-old selves might hate them for". The success of The Post Punk Kitchen led to the compilation of a cookbook, Vegan with a Vengeance, in late 2005, and a number of additional cookbooks over the years.
I think that activism isn't what you decide to do but how it affects people. So if someone says, I'm going to become an activist! I'm going to stand on a street corner and preach about veganism! And then they go ahead and do that but no one listens and no one becomes vegan, then is that activism? On the other hand, maybe there's a girl in the middle of nowhere who loves animals and decided to bake vegan. And then people taste her cupcakes and are like "What the hell, I'll go vegan, too." Obviously, I think the latter is more effective, but I guess people might not see it as activism.
- Vegan with a Vengeance. 2005. ISBN 1-56924-358-1
- Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, with Terry Hope Romero. 2006. ISBN 1-56924-273-9
- Veganomicon, with Terry Hope Romero. 2007. ISBN 1-56924-264-X
- Vegan Brunch. 2009. ISBN 0-7382-1272-5
- Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, with Terry Hope Romero. 2009. ISBN 1-60094-048-X
- Appetite for Reduction. 2010. ISBN 978-1-60094-049-1
- Vegan Pie in the Sky. 2011. ISBN 978-0-7382-1274-6
- Isa Does It: Amazingly Easy, Wildly Delicious Vegan Recipes for Every Day of the Week. Little, Brown. 2013. ISBN 978-0-316-22190-0.
- Vegan with a Vengeance, 10th Anniversary Edition: Over 150 Delicious, Cheap, Animal-Free Recipes That Rock. 2015. ISBN 978-0738218335
- The Superfun Times Vegan Holiday Cookbook: Entertaining for Absolutely Every Occasion. 2016. ISBN 978-0-316-22189-4
- I Can Cook Vegan. 2019. ISBN 978-1419732416
- 10 Essential Pantry Staples, According to Chefs, Vegetarian Times, May 17, 2022.
- Don’t fear the vegan at your Thanksgiving table, CNN, November 21, 2014.
- Baker, Lindsey Anne (2014-12-03). "Modern Love". Omaha Magazine. Retrieved 2018-02-18.
- Lynch, Scott (2016-10-11). "Williamsburg Gets A Vegan Restaurant For Grown-Ups With Modern Love" (article). Quick Bites. Gothamist. Retrieved 2022-07-25.
- Moskin, Julia (2007-01-24). "Strict Vegan Ethics, Frosted With Hedonism". The New York Times. Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- "Vegan Baking & Vegan Cooking". Post Punk Kitchen. Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- Moskowitz, Isa Chandra.Vegan With a Vengeance. Marlowe & Company, 2005, p. 3.
- Kramer, Rachel (2005-11-03). "Isa Chandra Moskowitz, Creator, Post Punk Kitchen, Author, Vegan With a Vengeance". Gothamist. Retrieved 2022-07-25.
- All Hail the Vegan Queen
- Secrets of the Ultimate Vegan Cookbook
- Post Punk Kitchen's Isa Chandra Moskowitz Talks Opening Modern Love in Brooklyn
- Chef Isa Chandra Moskowitz Makes Vegan Work, from Omaha to Brooklyn
- Brooklyn’s Modern Love Brings Vegan Punk Ethos to the Table
- Moskowitz, Isa Chandra (2007-05-14). "It's Wrong to Kill Meat-Eaters". Jewcy.com. Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- Moskowitz, Isa Chandra (June–July 2007). "Vegan Culinary Activism in 10 Yummy Steps". Satya. Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- Castoria, Elizabeth. "Vegan MoFo Returns". Vegnews.com. Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- "Vegan Bake Sales For Haiti". Post Punk Kitchen. Archived from the original on 2013-02-04. Retrieved 2011-05-09.