|No. -- Free agent|
|Date of birth:||January 25, 1987|
|Place of birth:||Pago Pago, American Samoa|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||307 lb (139 kg)|
|High school:||Faga'itua (AS) High School|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics|
Isaako Aaitui (born January 25, 1987) is an American football nose tackle who is currently a free agent. He was originally signed by the Miami Dolphins as an undrafted free agent in 2011. He played college football at UNLV.
After redshirting at UNLV in 2006, Aaitui made his Rebels debut in 2007, appearing in seven games and recording 10 tackles (two for a loss). He started nine of 12 games played as a sophomore in 2008, totaling 32 tackles (14 solo), leading the team with seven tackles for a loss and tying for the team lead with two sacks.
Aaitui started 10 of 12 games at defensive tackle as a junior in 2009, recording 31 tackles and 2.5 tackles for a loss. He closed out his collegiate career with 27 tackles (5 for a loss), 1.5 sacks, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery and a blocked kick.
First stint with Dolphins
After going undrafted in the 2012 NFL Draft, Aaitui did not attend training camp and did not sign with a team until joining the practice squad of the Miami Dolphins on October 5, 2011. He remained on the practice squad the rest of his rookie season and was re-signed to a future contract in January 2012.
Aaitui's attempt to make the Dolphins' roster in 2012 was documented on the HBO series Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Miami Dolphins. He came up just short of earning a roster spot and was waived by the team during final cuts, with the organization hoping to retain him on the practice squad.
New York Jets
After being waived by the Dolphins, Aaitui made his first NFL roster when he was claimed by the New York Jets on September 2. However, he suffered a torn ACL and MCL in his first practice with the Jets and was subsequently waived two days later.
New Orleans Saints
After spending the 2012 season out of football with a knee injury, Aaitui signed a two-year contract with the New Orleans Saints in May 2013. However, he was once again waived during final cuts on August 31.
Second stint with Dolphins
Aaitui was re-signed by the Dolphins on September 17, 2013 to provide depth at the defensive tackle position due to an injury to Paul Soliai. He was promoted to the active roster on October 19 after the release of Marvin Austin. Aaitui made his NFL debut the following day, participating in 19 defensive snaps in the team's home loss to the Buffalo Bills.
On May 4, 2015, he was waived by the Redskins.
- "Player Bio: Isaako Aaitui". UNLVRebels.com. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Dolphins sign OT Will Barker away from Buccaneers; make practice squad moves". Phins-Spotlight.com. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Dolphins re-sign seven to future contracts". Phins-Spotlight.com. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Hard Knocks' Isaako Aaitui waived by Jets after injury". NFL.com. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "New Orleans Saints Agree To Terms With DT Isaako Aaitui". NewOrleansSaints.com. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Saints Roster Cuts 2013: Saints Waive Isaako Aaitui". CanalStreetChronicles.com. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "With Soliai sidelined, Dolphins bring back Isaako Aaitui, Al Lapuaho". FinNation.com. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Dolphins promote DT Isaako Aaitui to the 53-man roster". The Sun Sentinel. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Bills vs Dolphins final look: Miami defensive snap counts". ThePhinsider.com. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- Kring-Schreifels, Jake. "More On New Redskin Isaako Aaitui". Redskins.com. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- Jones, Mike (December 29, 2014). "Redskins sign eight players to futures contracts". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2014-12-29.
- Keim, John (May 4, 2015). "Redskins cut 13 players, start adding UDFAs". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2015-05-04.