|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (May 2015)|
29 May 1918
Aldridge, Staffordshire, England, UK
|Died||27 July 1997
Wandsworth, London, England, UK
|Spouse(s)||William Fairchild (1953-1970s; divorced); 2 children|
Isabel Dean (29 May 1918 – 27 July 1997) was an English film and television actress.
Life and career
Born as Isabel Hodgkinson in Aldridge, Staffordshire, she studied painting at Birmingham Art School. In 1937, she joined the Cheltenham Repertory Company as a scenic artist. She was soon involved in acting with some small parts.
She appeared on stage in London in Agatha Christie's Peril at End House in 1940. Her stage appearances included The Deep Blue Sea, Breaking the Code and John Osborne's The Hotel in Amsterdam, at the Theatre Royal, Haymarket. In 1949 she appeared in "the Foolish Gentlewoman" at the Duchess Theatre in London.
By 1953 she was also appearing on British television in The Quatermass Experiment and went on to make many television appearances including I, Claudius (1976) and Inspector Morse (1990). She appeared with Paul Scofield in an ITV Saturday Night Theatre production of The Hotel in Amsterdam broadcast on 14 March 1971.
In 1953, Dean married William Fairchild; the couple had two daughters, Caroline and Angela. The marriage was later dissolved.
- Paul Temple, BBC
- The Reluctant Peer by William Douglas-Home broadcast on BBC (1967)
- The Bird Table (1982)
- A Photograph of Lindsey Mowatt (1986) by Ellen Dryden
- Summer Attachment (1986) by Michael Sharp
- The Passionate Friends (1949) - Pat Stratton
- The Last Page (1952) - May Harman (uncredited)
- The Woman's Angle (1952) - Isobel Mansell
- 24 Hours of a Woman's Life (1952) - Miss Johnson
- The Story of Gilbert and Sullivan (1953) - Mrs. Gilbert
- Twice Upon a Time (1953) - Miss Burke
- Out of the Clouds (1955) - Mrs Malcolm
- Handcuffs, London (1955) - Doris Tedford
- Davy (1958) - Miss Carstairs
- Virgin Island (US: Our Virgin Island, 1958) - Mrs. Lomax
- Light in the Piazza (1962) - Miss Hawtree
- A High Wind in Jamaica (1965) - Mrs. Thornton
- A Man Could Get Killed (1966) - Miss Bannister
- Inadmissible Evidence (1968) - Mrs. Gamsey
- Oh! What a Lovely War (1969) - Sir John French's Lady
- Catch Me a Spy (1971) - Celia
- Ransom (1974) - Mrs. Palmer
- The Bawdy Adventures of Tom Jones (1976) - Bridget
- Rough Cut (1980) - Mrs. Willis
- Five Days One Summer (1982) - Kate's Mother
- Vallance, Tom (9 August 1997). "Obituary: Isabel Dean". The Independent. London. Retrieved 25 August 2009.