Isabel Keating is an American actress and singer.
Keating is widely acclaimed for her portrayal of Judy Garland in the 2003 Broadway theatre production of The Boy From Oz, starring opposite Hugh Jackman, for which she received a Tony Award nomination (Tony Award for Best Featured Actress in a Musical) and for which she won the Drama Desk Award and the Theatre World Award. On Broadway, she also starred in Enchanted April, replacing Molly Ringwald in the role of Rose Arnott after having created the leading role of Lotty Wilton in Matthew Barber's play in its world premiere production at Hartford Stage Company in Hartford, CT. Keating played the Duchess of Berwick in the Oscar Wilde comedy Lady Windermere's Fan directed by Moisés Kaufman in 2005 at the Williamstown Theater Festival in Williamstown, MA. She joined the cast of Hairspray (Jack O'Brien (director)) in the role of Velma Von Tussle in June 2006. Keating starred in Gore Vidal's On the March to the Sea opposite Chris Noth, Charles Durning, Richard Easton, Michael Learned and Harris Yulin at Theatre Previews at Duke as well as at the Long Wharf Theater in New Haven, CT, in Tom Stoppard's Travesties opposite Sam Waterston, and at the Paper Mill Playhouse, in Millburn, NJ, in Wendy Kesselman's stage version of The Diary of Anne Frank. She won the 2000 Helen Hayes Award for Best Actress for her work in Tom Stoppard's Indian Ink at The Studio Theatre in Washington, DC. Notably, she appeared as Vi in Lucinda Coxon's Waiting at the Water's Edge in its American premiere, directed by Nela Wagman for the Watermark Theatre Company. On television, she guest starred opposite Stanley Tucci in the highly acclaimed but short-lived CBS network series 3 lbs and opposite Vincent D'Onofrio in Law & Order: Criminal Intent. Keating also appears in the films The Nanny Diaries and The Life Before Her Eyes. Keating appeared as Peter Parker's Aunt May in the Julie Taymor-directed production of the Broadway musical Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark.
- La Ronde (Sweet Young Thing) - The Studio Theatre, Washington, DC (1984)
- The Miss Firecracker Contest by Beth Henley (Popeye) (1986)
- The Slab Boys Trilogy by John Byrne (playwright) (Lucille) - The Studio Theatre, Washington, DC (1986/7)
- The Bright and Bold Design - The Studio Theatre, Washington, DC (1989)
- In Perpetuity Throughout the Universe by Eric Overmyer (Christine) - The Studio Theatre, Washington, DC (1990)
- Waiting at the Water's Edge (Vi) - Watermark Theatre Company at the Ohio Theatre, Off Broadway (1994)
- Written and Sealed (Nancy) - The Puerto Rican Traveling Theatre, Off Broadway (1994)
- The Rise and Fall of Little Voice by Jim Cartwright (Little Voice) - The Studio Theatre, Washington, DC (1994)
- Slavs by Tony Kushner (Katarina) - The Studio Theatre, Washington, DC (1995)
- Three Sisters by Anton Chekhov (Irina) - The Studio Theatre, Washington, DC (1995)
- Chilean Holiday (Digna) - Actors Theatre of Louisville, Humana Festival, Louisville, KY (1995)
- One Foot on the Floor (LaVita Terrafamilia) - Denver Center Theatre Denver Center for the Performing Arts (1997)
- Once in a Lifetime by George S. Kaufman and Moss Hart (Florabel Leigh) - Atlantic Theater Company, Off Broadway (1998)
- Indian Ink by Tom Stoppard (Flora Crewe) - The Studio Theatre, Washington, DC (1999)
- Enchanted April (Lottie Wilton) - Hartford Stage, Hartford, CT (2000)
- Dinner With Friends by Donald Margulies (Beth) - Old Globe Theatre, San Diego, CA (2001)
- Enchanted April (Rose Arnott) (replacement) - Belasco Theatre, Broadway (2003)
- The Boy from Oz with Hugh Jackman as Peter Allen (musician) (Judy Garland) - Imperial Theatre, Broadway (2003–2004)
- Travesties by Tom Stoppard (Nadya) - Long Wharf Theatre, New Haven, CT (2005)
- On the March to the Sea by Gore Vidal (Minna Hinks) - Theatre Previews at Duke, Raleigh, NC (2005)
- Lady Windermere's Fan by Oscar Wilde (Duchess of Berwick) - Williamstown Theatre Festival, Williamstown, MA (2005)
- The Diary of Anne Frank (Edith Frank) - Paper Mill Playhouse, Millburn, NJ (2006)
- Hairspray (Velma Von Tussle) - Neil Simon Theatre, Broadway (2006/2007)
- A Lifetime Burning by Cusi Cram (Lydia Freemantle) - Primary Stages, Off Broadway (2009)
- Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark music and lyrics by U2's Bono and The Edge, book by Julie Taymor, Glen Berger and Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (Aunt May/Mrs. Gribrock/Maxie) - Foxwoods Theatre, Broadway (2010-2014)
- Travesties by Tom Stoppard (Nadya) - Bay Street Theater, Sag Harbor, New York (2014)
- It's Only a Play by Terrence McNally (Virginia Noyes/Julia Budder) sb - Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre, Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre Broadway (2014-2015)
Awards and nominations
- ^ "The American Theatre Wing's Tony Awards -- Official website". Retrieved 12 June 2004.
- ^ "Drama Desk Awards -- Official website". Retrieved 12 June 2004.
- ^ Oz's Judy Garland Fills in at Broadway's Enchanted April, Playbill.com, June 16, 2003. Retrieved 2008-01-03.
- ^ Star File, Broadway.com, March 9, 2004. Retrieved 2008-01-03.
- ^ Brantley, Ben (2005-07-11). "High-Flying Epigrams Whiz By Like Arrows". The New York Times. Retrieved 11 July 2005.
- ^ New cast members for Hairspray, Broadway.com, June 12, 2006. Retrieved 2006-09-24.
- ^ "Gore Vidal's On the March to the Sea Is an Invigorating Civil War Drama". Retrieved 1 March 2005.
- ^ Hewitt, Stephenson, Keating, More Join Sam Waterston for Long Wharf's Travesties, Playbill.com, April 14, 2005. Retrieved 2008-01-03.
- ^ Nominees and Recipients, HelenHayes.org, Retrieved 2008-01-23.
- ^ Brantley, Ben (1994-06-08). "In Performance; Theater". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-05-08.
- ^ "3 lbs. Bad Boys (2006)". Retrieved 19 December 2006.
- ^ "Law & Oder: Criminal Intent Please Note We Are No Longer Accepting Letters of Recommendation from Henry Kissinger (2008)". Retrieved 19 September 2008.
- ^ The Nanny Diaries Acting Credits at The New York Times, nytimes.com, January 4, 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-04.
- ^ Life Before Her Eyes (2007), imdb.com, Retrieved 2008-01-23.
- ^ "Complete Cast Announced for Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark". Broadway.com. August 16, 2010.