Isabella of Valois, Duchess of Bourbon
|Isabella of Valois|
|Duchess consort of Bourbon|
|Died||26 July 1383 (aged 70)|
|Spouse||Peter I, Duke of Bourbon|
Louis II, Duke of Bourbon|
Joanna, Queen of France
Blanche, Queen of Castile
Bonne, Duchess of Savoy
Margaret of Bourbon
|Father||Charles of Valois|
|Mother||Mahaut of Châtillon|
Isabella of Valois, Duchess of Bourbon or Isabella of France (1313 – 26 July 1383), was a Petit Fille of France, and a daughter of Charles of Valois by his third wife Mahaut of Châtillon. She was the wife of Peter I, Duke of Bourbon.
Marriage and issue
On 25 January 1336 Isabella married Peter I, Duke of Bourbon, son of Louis I, Duke of Bourbon and Mary of Avesnes. Peter and Isabella had only one son, Louis and seven daughters. Her husband died at the Battle of Poitiers in 1356, and Isabella never remarried. After her husband's death Isabella's son Louis became the Duke of Bourbon. In the same year 1356, Isabella arranged for her daughter Joanna to marry Charles V of France; as he was at the time the Dauphin of France, Joanna duly became Dauphine.
- Louis II, Duke of Bourbon, 1337-1410, became Duke of Bourbon in 1356 married Anne of Auvergne had issue.
- Joanna of Bourbon, 1338-1378, married King Charles V of France, had issue.
- Blanche of Bourbon, 1339-1361, married King Peter of Castile, she was murdered by him in 1361 and had no issue.
- Bonne of Bourbon, 1341-1402, married Amadeus VI of Savoy, by whom she had issue.
- Catherine of Bourbon, 1342-1427, married John VI of Harcourt
- Margaret of Bourbon, 1344-1416, married Arnaud Amanieu, Lord of Albret, by whom she had issue.
- Isabelle of Bourbon, 1345-1345, died young
- Marie of Bourbon, 1347-1401, prioress of Poissy
|Ancestors of Isabella of Valois, Duchess of Bourbon|
- Joni M. Hand, Women, Manuscripts and Identity in Northern Europe, 1350-1550, (Ashgate Publishing, 2013), 217.
- David Nicolle, Poitiers 1356: The Capture of a King, (Osprey, 2004), 24.
- Abbé Jacques-François Baudiau, Le Morvand, Nevers, 1865, 3e éd. Guénégaud, Paris, 1965, 3 vol., t.II, p. 152.