Gianluca Isaia is the chief executive officer. Its brother brand is Eidos (είδος meaning "species, essence, form, brand, genre" in Greek), launched in 2013 by ISAIA Napoli creative director Antonio K. Ciongoli.
Isaia was founded in Naples by Enrico Isaia, who opened a fabric store for Neapolitan tailors, and later a small atelier next to the store. In 1957 the brothers Enrico, Rosraio and Corrado Isaia moved the business to Casalnuovo, a village near Napoli where tailoring was a large part of the economy, and Isaia became a men's tailoring company. Enrico Isaia died at age 84 on 7 March 2017.
In Naples, it is believed that red coral sprang from mythical origins. As the legend goes, the Greek hero Perseus killed the Gorgon Medusa and wanted to deliver her head as a wedding present to the King of Seriphos, who was about to wed his mother. On his way home, he saw the beautiful Andromeda chained to a rock and about to be eaten by a sea monster. Wanting to save her life, he killed the beast and then sat on the bank of the water to wash his hands. When he set the sack with Medusa’s head besides him, her blood dripped into the water and transformed into what we know as red coral. For this, Neapolitans consider red coral a sign of good luck, and they use it in everything from pendants to religious ornaments to jewelry.
- About Isaia
- CC Reagan, Being Neapolitan | A Lesson in Language & Style at Isaia July 3, 2012, accessed 5/5/2015
- esquire.com The Extra Ten Percent: The Preloaded Lapel Pin March 2011, accessed 5/5/2015
- Alessandra Turra, Gianluca Isaia to Appear in Alfa Romeo Digital Ads Women's wear Daily, July 27, 2017
- Google Translate
- eidosnapoli.com eidosnapoli: Who We Are accessed 11/4/2015
- showrooms accessed 10/8/2015
- isaia.it About Isaia Napoli accessed 11/4/2015
- Enrico Isaia Dies at 84: The executive founded the Isaia men’s wear company in Naples in 1957 with his brothers Corrado and Rosario, Alessandra Turra, Women's Wear Daily, March 8, 2017
- Red Coral in Naples
|This Italian corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This fashion-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|