Isfahan University of Technology
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
© Isfahan University of Technology
|Endowment||US$ 20 million|
|President||Dr. Mehdi Abtahi|
|Athletics||One main stadium, soccer field, indoor swimming pool, three outdoor tennis fields, outdoor horse riding field, five indoor special purpose gyms|
Isfahan University of Technology (IUT) (Persian: دانشگاه صنعتی اصفهان Dāneshgāh-e San'ati-ye Esfahān) is one of the most prestigious universities in Iran. It is located approximately 19 kilometers from Shahin Shahr and educates in the fields of science, engineering and agriculture. The campus has dormitories, a shopping center, sports and recreation centers, and medical centers. The university is situated in the northern vicinity of the historical, industrial, and commercial city of Isfahan.It is notable that the IUT along with Sharif University of Technology and Amirkabir University of Technology has one of the highest rates of student expulsion due to high academic standards. .
Isfahan University of Technology is not to be confused with University of Isfahan which is located south of Isfahan.
The university was founded in 1974 and admitted its first students in 1977. It was founded as Aryamehr University of Technology Isfahan branch, with a significant gift of approximately 2 million square meters or 500 acres of land being contributed to the university by the locally notable and well regarded Boroumand family (brothers Abdolghaffar, Abdolrahman, Abdolrahim, Abdolkarim, Abdolrashid, and Abdollah); the university was renamed after the Islamic Revolution of Iran. Plans to make the institution the largest university in the Middle East were not achieved because of political changes in the country.
Isfahan University of Technology is a state university under the supervision of the Ministry of Science, Research, and Technology. IUT began its academic activities in 1977 with around 800 students in five departments; the enrollment has grown to 10000 in fourteen departments.
Many of the country's brightest talents choose IUT among their first choices in National University Entrance Exams. The university offers degrees in B.S., M.Sc., and PhD levels, in branches of Science and Engineering.
The university runs two research centers, the Information & Communication Technology Institute, and the Subsea Research & Development Center, where the first national radar project and design, and implementation of the first Iranian submarine were carried out.
Islamic World Science Citation Center (ISC)
The Islamic World Science Citation Center (ISC) published rankings for 2018 of Iranian universities and institutes of higher education appears as follows (after Amirkabir University of Technology and before Iran University of Science and Technology):
- University of Tehran
- Sharif University of Technology
- Amirkabir University of Technology
- Isfahan University of Technology
- Iran University of Science and Technology
- Tarbiat Modarres University
- Shiraz University
- Ferdowsi University of Mashhad
- K. N. Toosi University of Technology
Academic Ranking of World Universities
- 2011-2015: Not mentioned
Times Higher Education
- 2014-2015: National rank : 2, International rank : 351-400
- 2011-2014: Not mentioned
- 2016: National rank: 3, international rank: 547
- 2015: National rank: 3, international rank: 472
Research and facilities
Isfahan University of Technology was appointed as a Center of Excellence by Iran's Ministry of Science and Technology in the fields of Nano Technology in Environment, Steel Technology, Algebra Science, Sensor and Green Chemistry, Soil & Water Pollution, and Oil-seed Crops. This appointment is based on national standing based on research achievements and invested funding in the topics.
A supercomputer was unveiled at the university in 2011. It was made by Isfahan University of Technology scientists and is among the 500 fastest in the world. It has a calculation ability of 34000 billion operations per second and its graphics processing units are able to perform more than 32 billion operations per 100 seconds.
- Mohammad-Reza Aref is an Iranian academic, electrical engineer and politician. He was the vice president of Iran under President Mohammad Khatami. He received a Bachelor's degree in electronics engineering from University of Tehran and Masters and Ph.D. degrees in electrical and communication engineering from Stanford University in 1975, 1976 and 1980, respectively. Until 1994, Mohammad-Reza Aref was a faculty member of Isfahan University of Technology.
- Mohammad-Ali Najafi is an Iranian politician and university professor in mathematics. He was a minister and later vice-president for planning and budget; he was a member of Tehran City Council from 2007 to 2013 and is currently nominated to the Ministry of Education. After the Iranian revolution of 1979, Najafi returned to Iran. He started working as a consultant to Mostafa Chamran and was later the president of Isfahan University of Technology (1980–1981).
- Esfandiar Rahim Mashaei is an Iranian politician. He was an adviser to the former Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and his chief of staff. He was appointed on 31 December 2007 to run the newly founded National Center for Research on Globalization. He is a former head of the Cultural Heritage Organization of Iran. Esfandiar Rahim Mashaei was Vice President of Iran for a short time. He studied electrical engineering and holds a bachelor's degree from Isfahan University of Technology.
- Hamid Baqai is an Iranian politician who has been the head of presidential center from 9 April 2011 to 4 August 2013. He was a senior advisor to President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. He holds a bachelor's degree in Information Technology from Isfahan University of Technology.
- Mohammad Tabibian is an Iranian economist who served under the administration of Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani as deputy director of the Planning and Budget Organization. Dr Tabibian was head of the groups who made the First Five Year Plan (1989–1993) and the Second Five Year Plan of Iran (1994–1998). He has taught at the Isfahan University of Technology.
- Ahmad Shirzad was a reformist member of the 6th Iran Parliament (Consultative Assembly of Iran) and a leading official in the Islamic Iran Participation Front, the main reformist party in Iran. He teaches physics in Isfahan University of Technology.
- Amir Faghri is an American professor and leader in the engineering profession as an educator, scientist, and administrator. He is currently Distinguished Professor of Engineering and Distinguished Dean Emeritus of Engineering at the University of Connecticut. Faghri served as head of the Mechanical Engineering Department 1994–1998 and dean of the School of Engineering at the University of Connecticut from 1998 to 2006. He is arguably the world’s leading expert in the area of heat pipes and a significant contributor to thermal-fluids engineering in thermal energy systems. He was one of the founding faculty members and administrators who established Isfahan University of Technology in 1977.
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- English Language
- Industrial Engineering
- Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Natural Resources
- Physical Education
- Textile Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
Affiliated research centers
- Center for Advanced Computing Services
- Center for Research in Applied Statistics and Stochastic Systems
- Information & Communication Technology Institute
- Network Security Center
- Research Center for soil-less cultivation
- Steel Research Center
- Under Water Research Center
|Name||Dates of office||Alma mater||Field|
|Dr. Mohammad Amin||1974 – 1979|
|Dr. Mohammad Reza Saiedi||1979|
|Dr. Seied Hossein Taheri||1979 – 1980|
|Mr. Mohammad-Ali Najafi||1980 – 1981||MIT||Mathematics|
|Prof. Mohammad Mehdi Saadatpour||1981 – 1983||University of California, Berkeley||Civil Engineering|
|Prof. Ahmad Abrishamchi||1983 – 1986||University of California, Davis||Water Resources Engineering|
|Prof. Mohammad Shahedi||1986 – 1989||Purdue University||Agriculture|
|Prof. Seied Morteza Saghaian Nezhad||1989 – 1997||Kentucky State University||Electrical Engineering|
|Prof. Ali Ahoonmanesh||1997 – 2003||University of California, Davis||Plant Pathology|
|Prof. Mohammad Hasan Abbasi||2003 – 2005||University of California, Berkeley||Materials Processing|
|Prof. Gholam Reza Ghorbani||2005 – 2009||University of Kentucky||Agriculture|
|Prof. Mohammad Esmail Hamedani Golshan||2009 – 2013||Isfahan University of Technology||Electrical Engineering|
|Prof. Mahmoud Modarres-Hashemi ||2013 – 2019||Sharif University of Technology||Electrical Engineering|
|Prof. Sayyed Mahdi Abtahi ||2019 – Present||University of Science and Technology||Civil Engineering|
- TABNAK, تابناک |. "دلایل اخراج و انصراف دانشجویان در 10 دانشگاه". تابناک | TABNAK (in Persian). Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- Exporting MIT: Science, Technology, and Nation-Building in India and Iran. Stuart W. Leslie and Robert Kargon. OSIRIS 2006, 21 : 110–130
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-08-09. Retrieved 2012-09-10. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help)CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Academic Ranking of World Universities".
- "Times Higher Education".
- "U.S. News & World Report". Archived from the original on 2015-04-17. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Information & Communication Technology Institute
- Dr. Mahmoud Modarres-Hashemi
- "Dr.Sayyed Mahdi Abtahi". abtahi.iut.ac.ir. Retrieved 2019-09-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Isfahan University of Technology.|
- Official website
- Instagram Account
- College of Agriculture
- Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
- Mechanical Engineering Department
- Civil Engineering Department
- Industrial Engineering Department
- Mathematics Department
- Chemistry Department
- Physics Department
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Chemical Engineering Department
- Textile Engineering Department
- Materials Engineering Department
- Mining Engineering Department
- English Language Center