Khatter at an event for Dhadak in 2018
|Relatives||Shahid Kapoor (half-brother)|
Ishaan Khatter (born 1 November 1995) is an Indian actor. The son of actors Rajesh Khattar and Neelima Azeem, he made his first screen appearance as a child in the 2005 film Vaah! Life Ho Toh Aisi!, which starred his half-brother Shahid Kapoor. As an adult, he starred in Majid Majidi's drama Beyond the Clouds (2017), in which he played a drug dealer, and in the romantic drama Dhadak (2018).
Life and career
Ishaan Khatter is the son of Bollywood actors Neelima Azeem and Rajesh Khattar. His half-brother, Shahid Kapoor, is Azeem's son from her first marriage to actor Pankaj Kapur. Khatter describes himself as someone who is proud of his middle class values. He explains that he grew up in a household rich in culture, cinema, and the performing arts, and that he worked towards developing himself as an artiste. Khatter was educated at Jamnabai Narsee School and Billabong High International School, Juhu in Mumbai. He also studied dance at Shiamak Davar's academy.
After making his first screen appearance as a child in the 2005 film Vaah! Life Ho Toh Aisi!, starring Kapoor, Khatter worked as an assistant director to Abhishek Chaubey on his film Udta Punjab (2016) and Danish Renzu on the independent film Half Widow (2017). Khatter's first acting role as an adult came with Beyond the Clouds (2017), directed by Majid Majidi, in which he played Amir, a drug dealer. It premiered at the BFI London Film Festival and was released theatrically in 2018. Reviewing the film for The Hollywood Reporter, Deborah Young wrote that Khatter's "noteworthy screen charisma promises well for his future career". He won the Best Actor award at the 5th International Bosphorous Film Festival for his performance.
Khatter next played the lead role in Shashank Khaitan's romantic drama Dhadak (2018), a remake of the Marathi film Sairat (2016), co-starring newcomer Janhvi Kapoor. It tells the story of two young lovers in rural Rajasthan who face political opposition to their relationship due to caste discrimination. Uday Bhatia of Mint criticised Dhadak for lacking the depth of the original film, but found "a soulfulness to [Khatter] that's at odds with Hindi cinema's current penchant for bratty, hyperactive onscreen male personas". Shubhra Gupta of The Indian Express too disliked the film, but labelled Khatter a "natural" performer and took note of his "mobile, expressive face". With worldwide earnings of over ₹1.1 billion (US$ 15 million), Dhadak emerged as a commercial success.
|2005||Vaah! Life Ho Toh Aisi!||Ishaan|
|2016||Udta Punjab||Unnamed||Cameo; also assistant director|
|2017||Half Widow||—||Assistant director|
|2018||Beyond the Clouds||Amir|
- "Dhadak: Janhvi Kapoor looks like mother Sridevi in debut film's 3 posters with Ishaan Khattar". Hindustan Times. Archived from the original on 15 November 2017. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- "SEE: Karan Johar unveils poster of Janhvi Kapoor's debut film Dhadak opposite Ishaan Khatter". India Today. Archived from the original on 15 November 2017. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- Ishan Khattar dances just like big brother Shahid Kapoor in video. Check it out Archived 8 April 2018 at the Wayback Machine., Hindustan Times, 7 Nov 2017.
- Rajesh Khattar REACTS To Nepotism Allegations On Son Ishaan Archived 8 April 2018 at the Wayback Machine., India.com, 18 Nov 2017.
- I’m proud of my middle-class background, says Ishaan Khatter Archived 8 April 2018 at the Wayback Machine., Daily News and Analysis, 7 April 2018.
- "'Ishaan Khatter On Privilege, Peculiar Family Dynamics And The Quest For Acting Glory'". Archived from the original on 5 July 2018. Retrieved 5 July 2018.
- "'Shiamak Davar proud of Dhadak star Ishaan Khattar'". Archived from the original on 5 July 2018. Retrieved 5 July 2018.
- "'Beyond The Clouds': London Review". Screen Daily. 15 October 2017. Archived from the original on 15 February 2018. Retrieved 15 February 2018.
- "'Beyond the Clouds' ('Ansooy-e Abrha'): Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. 22 January 2018. Archived from the original on 7 February 2018. Retrieved 15 February 2018.
- "Ishaan Khatter wins Best Actor award at Turkish film fest for debut film Beyond The Clouds". Hindustan Times. 27 November 2017. Archived from the original on 14 May 2018. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- "Dhadak first look: Janhvi Kapoor has Sridevi's charm and Ishaan Khatter is Bollywood's next chocolate boy". The Indian Express. Archived from the original on 15 November 2017. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- "Dhadak: Release date of Janhvi Kapoor, Ishaan Khatter starrer postponed to 20 July". Firstpost. Archived from the original on 13 June 2018. Retrieved 13 June 2018.
- Bhatia, Uday (20 July 2018). "Film Review: Dhadak". Mint. Archived from the original on 20 July 2018. Retrieved 20 July 2018.
- Gupta, Shubhra (20 July 2018). "Dhadak movie review: There is no 'dhak dhak' in this Janhvi Kapoor starrer". The Indian Express. Archived from the original on 21 July 2018. Retrieved 23 July 2018.
- "The Real Winner With Dhadak". Box Office India. 25 July 2018. Archived from the original on 25 July 2018. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- "Box Office: Worldwide Collections and Day wise breakup of Dhadak". Bollywood Hungama. Archived from the original on 2 August 2018. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- "Photos: Ishaan Khattar On The Set Of Udta Punjab". Business of Cinema. 18 June 2016. Archived from the original on 14 June 2018. Retrieved 14 June 2018.
- Dedhia, Sonal (8 April 2018). "Ishaan Khatter: Not Dyslexic, But Often Felt Like Ishaan From Taare Zameen Par". Mid Day. Archived from the original on 14 June 2018. Retrieved 14 June 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ishaan Khatter.|