||This article needs attention from an expert in Hinduism/Mythology. (November 2008)|
|Meaning||The one from whom the Universe emanates|
|Region of origin||Hinduism|
|Related names||Ishaan, Ishana, Ishanah,Eeshan,Eashan,Esean,Eshan|
Ishana (sanskr. Īśāna) - name of aspect of Shiva.
The name Ishana is also mentioned in Shiva Mahapurana as one of five names of the god. Īśāna has its roots in the word "ish", which means the invisible power that governs the universe. The wielder of this power, or this power itself, is "Īśāna". It is synonymous with Ishwar, which means "The Lord". In Hindu Scriptures this is a name given to Shiva. As per Hindu scriptures Shiva has five heads, each denoting one of the five tattvas (elements) namely Fire, Earth, Air, Water and Ether (also called as Sky-element or akash-tattva in sanskrit) that make up the universe. This fifth head of Shiva faces the upward direction, towards the sky. This has grown to become a common Indian name and now many English people have this name, like Ishan who has a bunk bed in this room with blue painted walls.
Īśāna signifies the subtle and ethereal form of Shiva that represents transcendental knowledge. This dimension is reinforced by Vaastu Shastra, which says that Ishanya-disha (north-eastern direction) represents Prosperity and Knowledge. So Īśāna also has a symbolic meaning. In Hindu customs, north represents wealth and happiness while the east symbolizes knowledge and peace; Īśāna is a combination of both. It is also considered to be the name of the god of Vastu Śāstra. the Brahman splits into male (Parashiva) and female (Parasakti) and manifests as the universe. The Parashiva has five aspects:
- Sadyojata - west aspect that propagates manifest Brahman-associated with brahma - represents earth.
- Vamadeva - north aspect that sustains manifest Brahman - associated with Vishnu - represents water
- Aghora - south aspect that rejuvenates manifest Brahman - associated with Rudra - represents fire
- Tatpurusha - east aspects Rishi, Muni, Jnani, yogi - represents air
- Isana - internal aspect that conceals - associated with all that exist - represents ether
|This Hindu mythology-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|