|English: 'Long Live my Nation'|
National anthem of United Arab Emirates
|Lyrics||ʿĀrif al-Shaykh ʿAbdullāh al-Ḥassan, 1986|
|Music||Saʿad ʿAbdil Wahāb, 1971|
1986 (with lyrics)
"ʿĪshī Bilādī" (instrumental)
The National Anthem of the United Arab Emirates, (Arabic: النشيد الوطني الإماراتي, translit. an-Nashīd al-Waṭanī al-ʾImārātī), also popularly known as "ʿĪshī Bilādī" (Arabic: عيشي بلادي, lit. 'Long Live my Country'), was officially accepted as the national anthem of the United Arab Emirates after the formation of the country in 1971.
History and use
After the country's formal nationalisation in 1971, Saʿad ʿAbdil Wahāb—an Arab composer who composed national anthems of other Arab states—created the melody for "ʿĪshī Bilādī" in that same year; however, the anthem did not have lyrics until 1986, which were written by ʿĀrif al-Shaykh.
In November 2018, a choir consisting of musicians from 190 countries sang "ʿĪshī Bilādī" as part of Dubai Expo 2020's celebrations for marking the 47th National Day on 2 December. The performance was filmed by Nāyla al-Khāja, the country's first female film director and producer.
Phonemic transcription (IPA)
ʿĪšī bilādī ʿaš itaḥādu ʾimārātinā
/ʕijʃij bilaːdij ʕaʃ itaħaːdu ʔimaːraːtinaː/
- Long live my country, the unity of our Emirates lives.
- You have lived for a nation whose religion is Islam and guide is the Qur'an.
- I made you stronger in Allah's name—oh, homeland!
- My country, my country, my country, my country.
- Allah has protected you from the evils of thy time.
- We have sworn to build and work –
- work sincerely, work sincerely!
- As long as we live, we will be sincere.
- The safety has lasted and the flag has lived—oh, our Emirates!
- The symbol of Arabism:
- We all sacrifice for you and give you our blood;
- We sacrifice for you with our souls—oh, homeland!
- "United Arab Emirates". nationalanthems.info.
- "من هو كاتب النشيد الوطني الاماراتي ؟". المرسال. 2015-01-15.
- "Orchestra representing Expo 2020 countries celebrates UAE National Day with anthem". The National UAE. November 27, 2018.
- "عارف الشيخ.. مبدع النشيد الوطني الإماراتي". بوابة العين الاخبارية. 2017-12-02.