District location in Uganda
|• Total||2,655.6 km2 (1,025.3 sq mi)|
|• Density||158.2/km2 (410/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
Isingiro District is bordered by Kiruhura District to the north, Rakai District to the east, Tanzania to the south, Ntungamo District to the west, and Mbarara District to the north-west. The town of Isingiro is approximately 35 kilometres (22 mi), by road, south-east of the city of Mbarara, the main metropolitan area in the Ankole sub-region.
The 2014 national housing and population census estimated the population of Isingiro District at 486,360. In 2002, the population was recorded at approximately 316,000, while the 1991 national population census estimated the population at 226,400.
Prominent people from the district include:
- Gordon Wavamunno, an entrepreneur, businessman, and philanthropist. He is reported to be one of the wealthiest people in Uganda and is the chancellor of Nkumba University.
- Benon Biraaro, a retired military officer, entrepreneur, and aspiring politician.
- Bright Rwamirama, a retired military officer and politician. State Minister for Animal Industry in the Ugandan Cabinet. Also serves as the elected member of parliament representing Isingiro County North in Isingiro District.
- Dr. Elly Amani Gamukama, He is an academician holding a PhD in Computer and Systems Sciences, originating from Kibengo Ngarama Sub-County. He is a scholar, promoter and advocate for the Internet utilization in the context of development especially among the low income communities. He educates the communities the benefits of the Internet connectivity and usage in inducing and enhancing positive social changes in basic dimensions of human life.
- Maj Deus M Kajumbukano, a senior officer in UPDF. The son of the late John Kajumbukano of Rugaaga s/county Bukanga County. He hails from the clan of Bahinda. The grand's origin are Bahororo .
Bukanga County: - Rugaaga, Ngarama, Endinzi, Kashumba, Mbaare and Rushasha Isingiro County: - Nyakitunda, Nyamuyanja, Kabuyanda, Kikagate, Kabingo, Birere, Masha, Ruborogota, Kabuyanda (Town Council, Isingiro (Town Council) and Kaberebere (Town Council)
- "Road Distance Between Mbarara And Isingiro With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 21 May 2014.
- "Estimated Population of Isingiro District In 1991, 2002 & 2014". Citypopulation.de. Retrieved 18 September 2016.
Uganda district Information handbook. expanded edition 2011-2012. pg.269
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Isingiro District, Uganda.|